R9-290 or GTX-770 4GB ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViSo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

yeah, the difference is rather ridiculous. Glad you can finally be happy with the performance in rf2.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

That happens with me with everything else expect from rf2 unfortunately but it is one of the best gfx cards (excluded known problems with heat and noise) i've ever bought. Actually rf2 looks so much better than with the two 6950'th for me. Also the AA and AF performance is brutal and has general a greater effect on the image while even Level 2 SSAA has a higher efficiency than Level 8 MSAA or whatever the standard use. I can only hope for positive development because i would hate to give this card away, and excluded from the existing problems with rf2 (sure bad enough for a driving junky) it's already an impressive overall look.

I've tried everything possible and it does not matter even if there are one or three screens or any setting i change the performance is almost similar. For me it is not because of the performance, but bugs why no high frame rates can be achieved with AMD in rf2 and the performance is somehow not fully utilized for whatever reason.

3. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Ye the only negative I have from going from AMD to Nvidia is that AMD really does multi monitoring better, especially switching between 3 screens and just 1. I cant even find how to do it on this one :D

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Press Windows +p and you can Switch between one und three screens

5. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

Is that with Multiview on or off?

6. Timpie Claessens

Ye it is with multiview off, I've gotten a bit used to that on RF2.

This doesnt seem to do anything on Nvidia, I can click it and it does nothing. The Nvidia control panel sets up a couple of key binds themselves but if I use that to switch to single screen it forgets my bezel corrected resolutions oO

7. Timpie Claessens

Here's my results (at 1920*1200)
    i5 @ 4.5Ghz
    780ti Core +150Mhz offset (Boost clock is 1110mhz) Memory +50mhz offset (Clock: 3557mhz)
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    20009, 198293, 79, 136, 100.906

Btw, does anyone have this artifact in that replay?
    View attachment 10878

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Nice score...correlates exactly with other game benchmarks so you know your getting every ounce of performance (i.e. no plateauing) in rf2.

Did you test with the default clocks and see this artifact? Also is the artifact popping in and out of existance?

9. Timpie Claessens

No it just stays there troughout the replay, and I dont have it when I just drive the car :/ It's not like its flickering or showing artifacts in random places, it's just that weird line.
    But I'll give it a go without the memory overclock aswell, just to be sure.
    And I havent really pushed the card to the max yet, to giddy to spend too much time on that :D

10. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

Could you please try with triple screen and Multiview on? I would really like to know the results with that card.

11. Timpie Claessens

I guess for statistical correctness I should also use the settings in the notepad file? Because default fov for instance is rather ridiculous on triples, but it's probably best for comparisons

I dont use full HD because it honestly seems abit rendundant so I use 5200*1050 instead of 5900*1200
    Here they are, but I have to say, multiview off looks better here. I think multiview on expects the screens to be at a 90° angle because everything is angled (not sure how to say this correct in english) towards the outside.
    Multiview OFF Default FOV
    14353, 200633, 53, 88, 71.539

Multiview ON Default FOV
    10941, 201850, 42, 68, 54.204

One final question I have, what's the best way to get smooth white lines on an Nvidia card? On AMD you had to enable supersampling and that pretty much did it but that doesn't seem to help much on this card alltho the FPS dissappears :p

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  12. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Is ISI going to implement Mantle?

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

The artifacts are from fov and seat position settings, try to reducing one and see what happens. BTW, great performance with the 780TI.

14. Led566

Led566 Registered

Yesterday happened to me something inexplicable.
    I was running in the ISI server with classic f1 with a video setup that generally guaranteed around 60 fps (min 40 max 70) when I noted a degradation of quality and fps (down to avg 40 max 60) in comparison to what I achieved the days before.
    So I decided to shutdown RadeonPro, use only the ingame settings and turn off transparency AA in the .plr file.
    Suddenly quality and fps increased substantially, just out of curiosity I redid the benchmark and I must say I'm pretty shocked by the results.

Radeon 7950 Sapphire flex edition no overclock, AMD FX6300 no overclock.
    Drivers 12.11 beta?
    4032x1024 triple screen multiview off.
    FOV 35 cockpit visual
    Everything maxed except:
    Shadows: medium.
    Special effects: low
    Shadows blur: optimal
    Reflections: off (that doesn't mean you don't have reflections...)
    Texture filtering: 8x Anisotropic
    Antialiasing level 3
    Qualitywise it is OK to my eyes, but your mileage may vary.

Fps Min: 52
    Fps Max: 92
    Fps Avg: 70

Please don't ask me how and why, because I don't know.
    Just try for yourself.

A careful read of this 3D may help:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12633-4x-Better-Graphics-and-way-more-FPS-Guide

15. Timpie Claessens

I thought that aswell but even running with my usual 24 fov something appears at the bottom of the screen.

And you're right John, I might give my native res a shot just to see wether it cures the distant white lines.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Changing the PLR Transparency setting makes a difference. Assuming your RadeonPro settings are the same as your global GPU driver settings when RadeonPro is disabled then I highly doubt RadeonPro was killing frames just due to the fact that you left it on, highly, highly doubt that.

GPU is starting to go??

17. Timpie Claessens

I rather doubt that :p

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol i hope not Timpie, if you play other games make sure you get no anomolies in them

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

That's odd, something similar i see with max back seat position and any fov setting in combination. Hopefully it's nothing bad but I do not think so.

20. MJP

MJP Registered

Reflections are the biggest FPS killers for me too, even more than MAX shadows.