[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

I understand it, in reality you'll go to a gas station.
    But it would be enough to move the pitches of the pit on the edge of the road to fix the problem.
    I think this would make all the happiest, do you think?

Babs ;)

2. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

in :d:d

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

A dedicated pit crew will always go where the are needed.
    +1 on the donations.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Sure, why not! I'll go with the one that looks better to me. I'm aiming at a realistic look, and by the look of it, you have similar taste than I do!

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I got the ultimate pleasure to announce that I've worked today on this, and other things, and racing at night is now a possibility, and highly suggested! What a thrill! Looks amazing!

View attachment 9280

View attachment 9281

I'm still playing with the date a bit to find a date that have a moon that isnt so bright. The full moon suggested by Tosch was way too bright, wasnt even a challenge. The screenshots above is 4 days after that full moon (july 8 was full moon, and the screens are july 12).

But this is at 1am or so... still a bit too bright to my taste. I'll try 13-14 and see.

16 was dark and nice, but might be too dark for some.

What I will likely end up doing, is a version with a moon similar to the screens... challenging, but not too much.. specially if you know track well... but I'll likely add a version that is set in an almost pitch black setting for the hardcore :)

I will also play with fog a bit more, and release a version with heavy fog, like we see in the morning sometimes! Will make interesting racing at different hours in the day!

I just love this track! Havent loaded any other since I started this, and I cant see myself load anything else for a good while!

I wish I was born in Germany so I could go there and have fun when I want to! Too bad they dont make no more circuits like this!

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding 1, this is because Com8 actually made the track very realistic. With the bumpy sections with different materials, and tdf settings.. there are dirty sections with grip lowered and dusty pavement, so when you drive over them, dust rises!

I have seen weird things with shadows as well, think I need to learn about shadow bias, but I couldnt find much info about it and its use in rF2.

But, regarding that particular shadow in front of you, I believe its a billboard tree that rotated as you passed it. So the shadows are also turning.

Not sure, but that was my first thought.

3 goes with 1! dusty sections :) the tdf reactions was quoted out in v0.80 (was like that originally, I enabled it when I played with the tdf because I feel it is realistic... there are bound to be dust on that track.. With all the people spinning around, winds blowing etc, plus its probably not maintained as a grand prix circuit.

Made good progress today!

See me previous post with night screenshots!

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah I noticed that a few days ago as well.. the pit location is close to entrance.

It worked for me tho.

Not sure what I can do about this... do you think its problematic in a race situation?

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

The dust on the tarmac isnt a bug! It's a feature! :) Like I explained in my previous post.

There are still glitches with the trees, I know.. until I can load the full scene in max, I'll leave it as it is. Cause I would also like to position them proper, and that will require breaking the tree objects (group of trees), positioning them better, grouping them again...

Regarding the pit, I cannot do something like right now, cause I have no clue what to do yet. Havent digged in the AIW stuff yet, really have no clues how it works.

You are right, and it happened to me in the past.

My ultimate goal would be to fix the stuff needed for racing events. So pit stops, pit out lights (or I'd like to have a shot at animating the actual gates, would be so nice! but have yet so figure all this. Making the animation for the gate should be rather easy I believe...

In the long run, I'd like to go over and detach the road edges properly (couldnt do it better than this without having the stuff around) and I didnt knew that kerbs needed to be detached carefully so they can have real road active on them. So my kerbs are all along the road edges.

I'd like to have the paddock area improved, building textures, maybe a bit more details, and more importantly replace those ugly cars ruining the initial first view of the track!

Wet reflections!

I'd like to isolate the tatoos, so I could have ffb applied to the real tatoo surface instead of the whole rectangle that contains the tatoos. At the moment, ffb is disabled on the tatoos, since I also need to figure a way to make them real road too (maybe when I isolate them).

Probably forgetting stuff too, like extrude the fences and kink them as they should be.

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding the start of lap, hmm if its only about moving the xsector, then yes I could, but why?

I'm asking this, since you are the first to talk about it. I know in shift2, the start happens there... but... who's right. Com8 seems to have taken great care in reproducing that track in minute details... tatoos are actual picture taken (dunno if its him or what), skids are actual skids pictures as well, all sections are broken into different track surface and reactions...

If others are also talking about this, it will likely happen, but I cant make changes only for 1 person, I hope you understand.

The hot lap with timing function doesnt work yet. I tried to play with it a bit and make it work, but not sure that feature is working in rf2 atm. rF2 seems to support only 3 xsectors... 1 for start/finish and 2 others. To make the timing happens, com8 designed a xsector 3 and 4 that are located at the timing gate. When you cross it, it probably fooled the game into thinking you ran thru the track sectors, and was ready for a new lap, so when you crossed finish, it would start timing.

But that's my guess.. I cannot know since I didnt played rf1 version.

I'm not sure for your 3rd question what you mean. Are you asking about a possible short gp circuit? One with no nords? I'd like to do it, yes, that will likely be the ending of the project. I'll finish up tourist to a level where I will use it in 24h, and the alternate tourist layout (fall, winter, different night scenario, fog)...

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'll see about that for the next update! Seems rather easy to do, should be able to move it a bit safer location to either road side, or something!

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

lol :) its all about dedication :)

But the full pit crew will likely work out of the box for the 24h layout. Since the real pits are there. Hang tight :)

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, and I made a little change today that changed the look drastically :)

I had a heavier fog near the skybox, since it didnt appeared like I knew it should. The texture size where good enough (I believe 2048) so it should have looked good.

Found out today to have a good looking skybox, you need to export it with no reduce detail (not sure if its the exact term, dont have 3dsmax in front of me and not familiar enough to remember :p), and no mipmapping.

It made a good difference, since I was able to reduce fog in order to have a realistic contrast appearance of the skybox vs the foreground stuff.

Looks really good now!

I also reverted the shader of the road, from the new real road seen in silverstone, to the other one that I cant remember the name..

So the tarmac looks a bit more like it should be.. the previous settings made it looks like new pavement, was looking good, but not appropriate for the actual track conditions. Now looking better I think!

Also, the trees have been exported again with pointy normals. Supposedly the shading is better with that. I havent took screens of it before and after.. but think there is a difference.

You'll be more able to tell once you upgrade your version!

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Still having problems with trees located lower than road and close to the road (seems like those are the two conditions that make BB trees go hairy)...

I wish ISI chimes in on the matter... cause I know there is nothing wrong with those trees. They are all the same.

If you look carefully... this happens in places where trees are lower than road, and relatively close to road. No other tracks (at least from isi, and those mod tracks I tried) have slopes and settings like here in nords, so it might be a limitation of BB trees, or a bug?

If that is really the case, then swapping them later with 3d versions should take care of the problem.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks SPASKIS for your continued support since the start. Appreciate it.

I wish to come to a point where I can share back tips with you too!

Regarding donations, I'm feeling bad about this, cause it was a pleasure to do this freely. I wish to have been able to keep it this way.

When I'm done with this, I intend to give anyone who's willing to work further and maybe improve it further whatever he needs to do his work (faster than starting with the imported gmts from my last release)...

Think of it as an open source track :)

I just want to have whatever time I need with it to learn the skills needed, and get to a point where I can maybe either work with others, or call it stop and give the chance to some others to improve further and maybe start on something else!

I'll see if my paypal account is still fine, been a while I havent used it, and I'll create a donation link in the days to come.

Thanks all for the support, it means much. I hope to be able to bring the track to a level where most are happy. I cant please all, and wont take individual requests, but anything that gets voted by many people will most likely see the day.

EDIT: I can share one tip with you spaskis! In your next version of the tutorial video, you should mention to set the track and surroundings with omni property enabled if not enabled by default!

Saves time later when doing the night stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  16. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Weird, I dunno what happened! usually the file names are written instead of attachment, but I clicked on them, and they all worked for me. Hold on, I'll redo it from scratch

EDIT: Done, updated my previous post, should work now?

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Here one at night in rain :)

I love the spray I ended up with... looks really good to me. Anyone tried it yet?

View attachment 9292

19. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Thanks!!! :D Oh man, looks absolutely fantastic!!

Hey, I have a question for you... Any chance you'd be willing to write up some of the stuff you learned and put it in the wiki? I think a lot of people are curious as to how to get started but don't really know what to do. You got up to speed so remarkably quickly, and I am sure you learned an awful lot during the process! Such an article would be a godsend to all of us noobs XD

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I planned on doing a few tutorials on my own a little later.

To get started, I first watched the tutorial made by spaskis, and then one made by Mario Morais.

This was enough to get the track working into rf2, with real roads.

Actually, a lot of this process is documented in my first thread on the matter, At least I got it to run in dev mode!

Also, a little knowledge of any 3d software is highly recommended. I used a bit of blender last year, to learn it, but had nothing to do really with it, so motivation was lost.. but at least I was familiar with how it worked, how to get thru the scene, the objects, materials (albeit different, I was familiar with the concept that a material is made of textures, procedurals, shaders, and stuff..) so it helped me start a bit faster.

But at this stage, I could provide a few tips maybe, since most everything is already covered by Mario and SPASKIS.

Once I have every rf2 features working in nords, I'd be glad to make a full tutorial if no one else did before me.

Its really not that hard actually, at least to start with conversion. Dedication, motivation are the most important things to have! Having a track you want yourself bad is a must I guess :) Gives an extra boost!