rFactor2 Build 198 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Apr 2, 2013.

1. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

one other thing i do is go into regedit and clear out any entries i find there.

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Sometimes things change in those files too, and as they are read in as config variables sometimes a new version may be changed slightly and you may get issues.
    Best way is to maybe do a line by line compare or a size compare, I had an issue once with this and now I generally scan line by line for changes before saving over it.

It's rFactor Marc2 :)

3. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

My first attempts at using the auto-updater failed similarly to what had been reported here a number of times:
    Downloading cmaps.mas.rfbz2 to Core\Vehicles\
    Download Error occurred. Retry number: 1
    Download Error occurred. Retry number: 2
    Download Error occurred. Retry number: 3
    Download canceled

I couldn't remember if I saw the Launcher ask for administrator permission to make changes to the \Program Files (x86)\rFactor2 directories upon starting the auto-updater, so I tried right-clicking the Launcher shortcut and choosing "Run as administrator". That was simply ignored; the Launcher wouldn't start that way at all (perhaps because it is only a shortcut?). I then right-clicked the Launcher shortcut again and chose, Properties, Compatibility and checked "Run this program as an administrator" under "Privilige Level", then restarted the Launcher and the auto-updater. That time it went smoothly and quickly without errors.
    Right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator" on the Launch rFactor.exe executable in an Explorer view seems to allow you to grant administrator permission just fine too. I hope that wasn't just a fluke and that it actually helps some folks.

4. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Im waiting for these components too, i thought we would of had them by now.

5. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

+1

6. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

lol, i don't quote every single post now, but i didn't ask for help last night, i just pointed out, that the update via launcher did not work.
    If i had a question, it would at least end with "?" ;)
    My first post here wasn't meant sarcastic, just to tell the devs, there are problems on some systems with their updating system, but as seen very often here, that's not what ISI is interested in.
    No question or anything in it!

But nice to see, one post can generate 3 sites of spam, but just one post with a try to solve this issue (even if not asked for and resolved by myself already), thanks Hedlund_90, that shows me that at least one guy here knows how a community works:D

Oh and no, im not a PC noob, and i also have more than proper hardware to run rfactor2 (and any other actually available game);)

Maybe rfactor has a problem with latest high end hardware or a current OS like Windows 8 pro 64bit, who knows?!
    But my opinion is, when there is a "ingame" update possibility, it has to work, not that a user has to look arround all over the internet to solve problems with the software he (pre-) paid for!

For the other ones having trouble running this build:
    I tested the update via launcher (twice from 156, once from 146) uninstall in between, but with the same result, black screen after start.
    Resolved it with downloading and installing 198 Lite installer (LINK).

7. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

lol
    ja frank, die rf community is manchmal strange.. aber ich denk mal dass die pC. community wohl auch nicht ohne solche geschichten auskommt :)

lg rene

8. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

I do that too. Nice free tool for file comparison: http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge/

9. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

yeah, really strange, but nothing that is really new to me;)
    Unfortunately this is very common in nearly all forums arround the web, that's the downside from the anonymity on the web.

10. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Glad to here you got it sorted Frank...nice shades by the way :cool:

11. gniewko

gniewko Registered

"Glad to here" - I often see English natives making such language errors(?) and was always wondering, just curious, is it on purpose? I am Pole so I maybe don't understand things, could you explain please?

12. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

ok ok :), Glad to see then..."Glad to here" i dunno just afigure of speech i guess :)

Edit: I see what i think you mean, i have the spelling wrong aswell, should be hear.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  13. gniewko

gniewko Registered

ok, thank you.

14. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

np :),Another way of looking at is, as your reading the text your actually hearing the person speak,
    so to speak, therefore you hear. :)

don't know if that makes sense though lol.

15. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

....and i like this too :)

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

In this context. Is this a self-help forum and or even a self amusement place ? Or is it just the mentality of this projects and forum ? Excuse my naivety and i like rF2 but I see no devs which are particularly engaging or be interested in whats going on here, at least not publicly and frequently. Just wondering :confused:

17. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

There is only Tim.

When Tim is not around we try to help ourselves.

When we can't help ourselves we wait for Tim.

If Tim doesn't come around we start to cry.

If we cry for too long the conditions become undrivable.

18. Frank Pabst

Frank Pabst Registered

hey speed1.
    i didn't really expect to get some help here in this forum (that's also the main reason i didn't really ask for it;)), actually i don't really know why it exists.
    Looks like it's just here to give these fanboys (sorry guys) a place to shine, but not to solve existing problems in the already sold product.
    That's really a shame, once you write anything against rf2, even if it's true and reproduceable, there are at least 20 guys who disagree, what is initially not that bad, but the way nearly all threads here end up is always the same.
    Howsoever i hope rfactor 2 will go gold some day...

19. TJones

TJones Registered

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I kind of think I'm out of sync with everyone else I'm neither happy or unhappy about this build because nothing has really changed ( apart from rain enabled again +new spray ...I'm guessing there was no spray before not that I really use to practice in the wet )

I understand some frustration though as I had high hopes for this build, guess maybe alot of stuff was sorted out that allows for better mods & packages etc

Roll on updated/new content
    Roll on sound/replay/improved weather effects

Hang in there fellow beta testers
    ....things are going to get good!

(-;