MultiView and Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duarte Pires, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

I know exactly where my wheel, buttons and shifter are... Right where I installed them. Don't tell me you need to look at your shifter to know where it is! Granted, I don't have a button box yet, but the CSRE buttons are easily memorized. I've never needed to see them so far.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using Tapatalk 2

2. reynard

reynard Registered

My experience in build 156 is similar to the OP's. With multiview "off" at a res of 5890x1080, I can run pretty close to max gfx settings and get over 100fps. Turn multiview "on" and it drops to 20fps. I've been running multiview in RF1 for years now and having out of proportion side monitors bugs the hell out of me, especially in hairpins and when wheel to wheel obviously. I realize that RF1 is far less graphically challenging but still the performance hit for enabling multiview in it is nowhere near as great... that something is still a little off here I don't doubt.

So anyway, here's the weird thing. In RF2 if I have multiview "on" and I also turn windowed mode "on" with the same high gfx settings, the fps shoots back up to the 70~80 range. When driving the game doesn't appear to be windowed at all, only when in the garage so I'm fine with it for now.

Obviously still much optimization to go. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Now that's VERY odd. So windowed mode actually nets your more FPS than full-screen? I'll have to check this out. Very , very odd.

4. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

check this out and tell us please!
    Im just waiting thigs get fixed to buy another 2 monitors.

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Probably because he's using SLI/Crossfire

6. Revan

Revan Registered

i don`t think so, i don`t get a significant fps boost in windowed mode with crossfire.

7. reynard

reynard Registered

Yes, forgot to specify but this is with two GTX660ti in SLI mode and I only get the framerate boost in windowed mode with multiview enabled. If multiview is not being used I see no signifigant performance change between windowed or not windowed.

8. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I tried and it did nothing for me. Multiview and Full-Screen vs Multiview and Windowed were about identical. No FPS boost like reynard is getting

9. Thiago Lima

Thiago Lima Registered

I have 1 660i Evga SC...how much fps do you tink i can get with multiview on/of and triple head?

everything maxed.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys try lowering graphics, setting everything from max to high barely makes a visual difference.

Also, isn't there a known problem when having reflection options on with multi-GPU setups?

11. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

This made no difference for me with 2 x GTX 670 and triple screens.

However, simply turning Multiview off gains me almost 100% increase in framerate. From about 100 to about 200 in parts Malaysia South Loop with no other cars on track. I don't like driving with Multiview off but the distortion seems less than in rF1... I can live with it for now.

12. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I don't do triple screens so hence no multiview here. Sorry to add noises as I just want to understand for my personal knowledge (thinking of a future improvement of my configuration).

Correct me if I'm wrong: without multiview, the game don't know you're running triple screen and just render the display using the (3 x Horizontal) x vertical pixels like a giant screen, right? With multiview, it consider the 3 displays as separate ones to be able to change view angle of each render: camera more to the left for the left monitor, centered for the middle one, and more to the right for the right monitor. This allow the display to not distort all 3 renders, right?

If I'm right, a fps drop is expected when multiview is ON as, even if the render surface is the same, we have now 3 different renders (3 x world rotation, clipping computing, etc.) instead of one. I'm right or missed a point?

Saying that, I don't see why a windowed game will run smoother than fullscreen. Only things I know which can affect the render in that case is vsync (not available in window mode AFAIK) and some post process render not available too in windowed mode, so an increase of fps is possible.

Sorry, don't know if I'm right or wrong and if I missed a point in trying to understood the multiview technology ;)

Comment are welcome! :)

13. reynard

reynard Registered

Everything you say is correct AFAIK... I'm clueless as to why it does what it does :confused: Isn't PC gaming wonderful? ;)

Spinelli, when I do a little test like this I always start with the lowest graphic settings, then increase each area individually to note what if any performance hits/gains I get on my system, then start combining them etc. etc. Reflections, shadows, track detail... none of that has that big of a performance hit for me. Only really, really high AA starts to slow things down but even that is not as bad a hit as multiview. The only reason I even tried the windowed mode thing is I saw it mentioned in someone else's settings in another thread somewhere and figured, what the hell? Trust me, I was as surprised as you could be.

Another thing I should mention is I was only testing the performance in the newest build for me (that being 156 at the time, haven't got 198 yet) and only at Monaco so for all I know right now it might be a track specific weirdness. I still haven't tried the SLI Config Bits mod to see if that makes any difference yet either... and of course the replays are still completely messed up.

and finally... Hi Dale! :cool:

14. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yolo: Within the limits of my knowledge, you've got it right. It's the difference between 3D rendering of a large scene with 1 viewpoint and 3 smaller scenes with 3 viewpoints. The second case is always going to be more challenging to the graphics card. In my experience the fps drop with triples is about 50% with multiview enabled.

Hi reynard! :)

15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks guys for confirmation. I wasn't sure when I typed this, now I feel smarter ;)

Anyway, knowing that from your answers, I don't see any option around the MultiView button which don't appear in my case as I have only one monitor on this gfx card , do you have a way to choose each point of view or at least angles from the same point of view, or is it game fixed and can't be changed? Perhaps by editing some files?

FYI I have another monitor plugged to the I7 R4000 and even if Windows managing both screens well allowing even overlapping of a window, pretty sure no game can use that kind of configuration sadly (not SLI, but 2 gfx card with several monitors dispatched)...will be cool if I can set a left and right monitor handled by the R4000 gfx card, at lower resolutions and/or GFX settings...Dreaming out loud ;)

16. Bart S

Bart S Member

All I want to know is why isn't the triple screen multiview, sli/crossfire, triplehead, window, fullscreen, stuttering etc issues not been addressed yet after nearly a year and a half in beta testing, its rediculous. This needs to be fixed and fixed now my single GTX680 is borderline 60fps max everything with HDR and multiview and overclocked to the clappers 1250mhz, yehboi I cant for the GTX980 maybe then it will do rF2 dated graphics some justice with 12gb vram 1,000,000mhz and 25600000cores.

I can understand that obviously there are more people with single screen than triple but surely the triple screen users are more simulation fanatics arn't we, hence I cant understand why development of the games continues with new added features (spray) which slows down fps even more instead of the main user interface being addressed.

ISI really do need to rejig the priority list of things to fix before marketing rF2. Or fail badly attracting new sim race fanatics expecting a good simulation with bad fps.

New priority list :
    No.1 FPS
    No.2 FPS triple screen
    No.3 FPS
    No.4 FPS
    No.5 add a new feature

17. coops

coops Banned

^ i think this is 1 reason why Tim is not marketing it yet, there are a few other things as well. and when its marketed you might get more help from AMD and NVIDIA.

18. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Surely this is exactly the juxta position of where ISI need to be....

Not trying to say I'm right and you are wrong, but the way I see it is that they need to get all the features that are going to affect graphics in first, whether positive or negative affects, THEN go about optimising. For instance, if they spent dev time and optimised and then added spray, and it halved the fps, they would have to repeat the optimisation again... and then engage with Nvidia and AMD to produce yet another set of profiles etc.... then added another feature and it halved the fps again... more optimisation would be required and another engagement with Nvidia/AMD for adjusted profiles.

19. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I bet AC is rendering 3 viewports all the time. To me that's the only explanation why single viewport is as slow as three viewports...

20. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Same here : only way to have HDR+6040*1200+multiview IS to use windowed mode !!! crazy

BUT replays are compressed ... very strange