FAQ and Guides

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi,

Here are the existing guides and FAQs:
    - Purchasing, Installing, etc
    - General FAQ
    - Painting/Skinning
    - Dev Corner (which through discussion could give info you don't have elsewhere)

If you're constantly having to search for something, please post in here.

A typical example might be how to create HDR profiles, which currently can only be found with a forum search.

I'll then create pages giving info on how to do it in either the FAQ or the Dev Corner on the rfnet Web site, like with the Paint Guide:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/10371-Paint-Guide

Please help me make sure you have the documentation you need. :)

Thanks,

Tim.

2. 88mphTim

Oh, and if you want to create the FAQ or guide for me, that would be awesome. ;)

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I do not want to create HDR profiles myself but I would like some place where I could find all the custom made profiles.

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

nah you can do it...you get paid for it :rolleyes:

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'm starting making some tutorials for the HDR. For now I've done this diagram to show how the HDR pipeline is probably working. Hope this helps a bit to understand how the HDR is affecting the final looking...

[​IMG]

6. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Thanks tuttle is very helpful

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Unfortunately this diagram is wrong in most part.

First of all, there's one important stage missing - image rendered to floating-point texture. It's the very heart of HDR implementation separating rendering from postprocessing - and it's missing from you diagram.

With this stage missing, you couldn't attach the rest of elements properly and ended up with something different than rF2 actually does.

For example - from your diagram it seems like "air mass" does not affect lighting, which is not true. "Air mass" should be up there with S-lum and T-lum.
    Another thing that your diagram suggests is that "white point" affects rendering of terrain and sky, which it doesn't. Postprocessing works on rendered image and has no notion of "sky" nor "terrain", therefore postprocessing parameters should not be directly connected to sky and terrain.

I wish I had time to describe all these things, but I'm really busy recently :(
    Of course I appreciate your effort, Tuttle. Maybe I'll draw some quick diagram this weekend and send it to you, but I'm not making any promises.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
  8. Tuttle

It's not intended to be a programming/development/processing diagram, but a usage scheme...:)

Does a tutorial have to be an engineering paper? ;)

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think you misunderstood - it's not about complexity or in-depth knowledge. I just think that at the moment it's more confusing than informative since it doesn't even distinguish between lighting and postprocessing. And these are pretty distinct things.

10. Tuttle

I think we've to help other users, not adding complexity on complex stuff/concepts. So, more info you'll add (like terms as floating points, rendering, postprocessing etc..), more difficult it's to understand how to manage the HDR interface.

The help concept is just to give him a "that input affect this aspect". The real connection and interdependence between compartments, pipelines etc...it's something require to much knowledge to be correctly managed.

Most of people wants just to know what happens when you work on White Point, or the main difference between S lum and T lum etc (and I used the same concept offered by ISI in the track tech paper)...they don't have to know how the engine is working from a deep point of view as if they already know how the engine is working, they can easily manage the HDR profile without any help.

BTW, let people judge. If they start saying it's more confusing than informative, then I'll change/fix it a bit into another way. ;)

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You still don't understand me. I can only repeat myself - it's not about complexity or in-depth knowledge.

If someone thinks his track is too dark he may just change gamma or whitepoint and he will be happy, but he could also make things brighter by changing values of S-lum and T-lum. But which approach is correct?

I think it's important to help people identify the problem correctly - is the scene too dark because postprocessing is set incorrectly, or lighting is set incorrectly.
    To achieve this, you really need to make clear distinction between lighting and postprocessing.

12. Tuttle

No offence but it's being boring. Instead wasting your time (you just said you're busy uh?...) to say me what I've to do, where I'm wrong, where you're right, what I understand, what I don't etc...do your scheme and post it. I'm just trying to help. I don't care to follow your way, I've my own. Jeeeeeez....

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Not right place to argue about making guides. You should just use this thread if you have something ready.

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Just a quickly painted overview (click for larger version) :

[​IMG]

It looks completely different. For example, bloom is applied before tone mapping, which is how it currently works in rF2.

Green boxes are parameters, gray boxes are algorithms.
    I hope this will be helpful, although it provides no description of parameters (I'll just leave that job to other guys here).

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

16. 88mphTim

I just changed the wording.

That other guide wasn't ours, and may be out of date soon.

17. slingshot

slingshot Registered

What a great guide I wish I saw this when I first started trying to use rF2. This should be stickied someplace very obvious.
    It will save many questions aked on Forum
    Thank YOU K Szczech:D

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Don't thank me - thank those, who wrote it :)

19. JuGo

JuGo Registered

Hi,
    I have a question about the Licences and I could not find a clear answer.
    If I buy or if I receive (via gift coupon) a Standard-Yearly Licence, will I be able to upgrade to the Lifetime Licence later (at the renewal or even sooner) for only 41$ ?
    What ever the answer is, I think it should be clearly indicated in the FAQ.

Keep up the good work,
    JuGo

20. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

Hi,

i have some questions about hdr-files.

Can someone explain the several elements of a hdr-file?

[Element]
    SkyType=Bright
    StartET=82962.5000
    AdaptET=1.0000
    Luminance=0.0000
    WhitePoint=0.8000
    BlackPoint=0.0000
    MiddleGray=1.0300
    PostGamma=1.5000
    AirMassMult=1.0000
    ShadowDiffusion=-0.2000
    LocalCloudIntensity=0.2500