FAQ and Guides

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

[Element]
    SkyType=Bright // Not Used ATM*
    StartET=82962.5000// time of the day in seconds. 1 Hour=3600Sec. // 82800/3600=23. This means this Element starts at 23:00 and will be mixed/swtiched into the next one present in the profile. Usually we've one Element for each hour of the day, this is why there're 24 Elements in a single profile.
    AdaptET=1.0000// this setting defines how fast the tone mapper will adapt to changes in brightness. Values below a couple of ms will cause the scene to flash annoyingly. This is similar to the time the human eye requires to adjust to sudden changes in luminance.
    Luminance=0.0000 // Not Used ATM*
    WhitePoint=0.8000 // Minimum luminance value which gets mapped to 1.0. Raise this number to decrease the blown-out whiteness of the scene. Too high a value will take all of the edge out of the scene.
    BlackPoint=0.0000 // Black level wich gets mapped. Raise this number to increase the blackness of the scene. I suggest to leave it default as it could create clipping.
    MiddleGray=1.0300 // Is a constant in the modified Reinhart tone mapping equation, usually hard-wired to 1.03, but having it as an adjustable variable can prove to be useful.
    PostGamma=1.5000 // the tone mapping process must be done in linear colour space (which rFactor 2 is not using). This means the HDR scene must first be linearized (gamma corrected to 2.2). After tone mapping, it is transformed back to gamma space (inverse gamma correct). Post gamma controls this value. It should be 2.2, but you can adjust it to make the scene more washed out or more vibrant, or to correct for other extreme settings.
    AirMassMult=1.0000 // Simulate the Air Mass filtering the sunlight. It affect the entire scene for both Ambient and Direct light.
    ShadowDiffusion=-0.2000 // Not Used ATM*
    LocalCloudIntensity=0.2500 // Not Used ATM*
    SunTransLum=3.0000 // T Lum is transmitted (direct) sun luminance. This affects everything including clouds, but not the sky. You usually want to decrease it near dawn/dusk to take the big white areas out of the sky.
    SunScatrLum=2.0000 // S Lum is scattered luminance, which is light that bounces off the terrain and illuminates primarily the sky. You usually want to increase it slightly as you get towards dawn/dusk.
    MoonTransLum=3.1500 // Not Used ATM*
    MoonScatrLum=1.6500 // Not Used ATM*
    UseBloom=1 // Bloom activation. 0=off, 1=ON
    BloomWhitePoint=2.0000 // Not Used ATM*
    BloomThreshold=1.0200 // It defines the limits for the Bloom effect application. Pixels will be affected by the bloom in function of the threshold algorithm..
    BloomOffset=0.4500 // Bloom Intensity applied in function of the threshold algorithm.

* Not sure if they're working but they're locked, or they're standard features available to the Light Physical Simulator but turned off.

2. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

Thank you very much.

What is the impact of the different [Element] sections?

3. Tuttle

Each Element is a different time of the day. This means we're not using a real GI (global illumination) system but a simulation of the sunlight and the interactions between terrain and atmosphere, which require a parametric approach to balance each main aspect of the light during the day; Dawn, Midday, Evening, Dusk etc...It's like a key-framing approach, where you've to set up a series of keyframes (parameter values) for each time of the day (Elements) and the light system will make the dynamic transition between them, using the time clock.
    You could set the transmitted sun luminance in the dawn/dusk element section to take the big white areas out of the sky, or keep the MidGray at 1.0 during the full sun to avoid some annoying overexposed situations on cockpit views....etc etc..

When the light system is running, the proper Element (time of the day) is used and will be mixed down the next one, second after second.

4. hiblerj

hiblerj Registered

I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to end a race other than pressing "I" on my keyboard and allowing the AI to drive my car into the pits to finish the race. There's a way to drive there myself, correct? I can drive and park in the highlighted spot, but my car won't "lock" into place like a typical pit stop. Could someone clue me in on this?

5. guod

guod Registered

I'm working on the update for "Unraveling rFactor 2: Installing, Uninstalling, Reinstalling, and Updating" now based on build 156 (or whatever is out next). Plan to have it out in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  6. hiblerj

hiblerj Registered

Thank you for such an informative review of the game, but it doesn't really give much information regarding gameplay. Since I'm sure there are many noobs like myself, is there a thread that discusses the most basic points of gameplay. Such as how to complete a race after entering the pits manually? The AI can drive me in, but how would the driver? While poking around today I saw people talking about "rubberizing" the track and saving "real roads". What would be great is for ISI to create a short manual that describes the roots of the game. You've developed all this great stuff, but it seems to be hidden from plain sight. I just happen upon many things while looking for something else. Thanks for all the assistance! This game is freaking amazing whether I can pit myself or via the AI.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

8. 88mphTim

Those are the kind of things I need to know are needed. There's things a lot of us take for granted. Thanks.

9. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Two different questions:

When you load a track theres always a wait before track is freed. Why is that so? To me it's only an annoyence without any purpose? I know there's accelerated time, but when i try it everything gets messed up.

I've seen great photos of HDR usage. Is there a guide on how to use the profiles?

10. Sofo

Sofo Registered

What does FXAA do? I expect it to be some sort of AA. Is there a performance hit when used?
    PC is down as i'm speaking so i can't just try.

11. zenrael

zenrael Registered

First search hit on wikipedia

12. Sofo

Sofo Registered

Lazyness is the mother of no inventions. Thanks.

Sounds like a hit to me. Haven't encountered it yet.

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

14. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

Reactivation issue

Hello Tim,

I’ve just installed Windows 8.1 on my computer vs Win XP previously (64 bits now instead of 32).

Wanting to reinstall rF2 and after logging myself, it tells me that I have exceed my # of activation.

Your link for reactivation doesn’t work?????renewals@rFactor.net or renewals@rFactor2.net (I'm not sure which one).

Run the launcher and go to the purchase tab. You can reactivate the product there, this is were the link doesn't work.

How can I get a new activation to use my rF2 version that I bought under : jean.audette@videotron.ca

If I am not at the right place for this request, please let me know and indicate me where and whom to contact.

Best regards,

Jean Audette

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  15. 88mphTim

We don't have any rfactor2 domain names, so quite unlikely that's what you were asked to email. You can't activate until you do as the text telling you, tells you.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This is what I tried to do with F3 Rookies Room.

To give you a idea we lapped Spa in F3 Eve with a fixed setup for 6 months solid , 3 /4 hour practice sessions.
    The room always had 8 in it, my connection limit. I am sure if I coulddhave hosted 20 we would have got them in because
    the Pros used to like to hotlap there and it was very interesting with the fixed setup of Steven Porters we all ran.

By about Build196 we stopped fixed setups and just gave it out as a baseline.

Many regulars besides myself took rookies under their wings, would sit and watch them lap and chat to them.

We would explain buttons they could be missing, how to watch others lap live, how to re save setups , no one escaped the basics.

You could chat anytime anywhere which most every room bars because they can't concentrate. lol
    Answer me this, how did James on TG ever lap with Jackie Stewart screaming in his ear every 5 seconds and get faster ? p

I listed almost 300 drivers through that room in 6 months and the comments after sessions from most rookies made it all worth while.

A lot of times the regulars would slow in races where rookies were hanging on and drop back and push, then pass then let them tow past again.

We agreed rookies rooms should be limited to auto gears and clutch only , any more aids were not going to be productive.

We ran no damage, good rubber, long practice , short races and lots of restarts.

That is what ISI need a permanent room like that I think would be very popular.

To the people emailed me about the room I had no connection for 6 weeks when I moved and my new one has high latency makes it pointless to host anymore, not happy about it either. :( lol

17. machine

machine Registered

This question is regards track building. I once saw that the track has to face in a certain direction for the sun to shine in correct direction. I have searched but unable to find this. I read the track guide V3 and it says nothing about track direction or whether 0,0,0 needs to be in any particular place. According to the AIW pdf, there must be a section of ground under 0,0,0. Obvious. Which you would not need to say if 0,0,0 had to be at the centre of the start/finish line. Adding track rotation and location needs to the track pdf would be useful.

18. Tuttle

Hi,

pretty easy; all you need to do is to create your track using the real life North heading and geographic coordinates in the .gdb file. This mean your main 3d scene Top View will show the same heading as real life (aka Google Earth, Bing Maps etc...).
    Remember; if you use a sat/aerial map as a reference for your 3D construction/distribution plane, you don't have to rotate and/or change the North heading of this map. If you need to crop, cut and edit this map you can do whatever you need, but never change the North. This way your track export will use the same heading.

This doesn't mean you have to model your objects using this heading, but just distribute/move/rotate all your final meshes to match the real life North (sat/aerial map on Top View).

For the Latitude/Longitude, Altitude and Race Date, open your .gdb file and find the location section;

Latitude = 56.83 // degs from Equator (range: -90 to 90, positive is Northern Hemisphere)
    Longitude = -5.08 // degs from GMT (-180 to 180, positive is East)
    Altitude = 22.0 // meters above sea level
    RaceDate = June 9, 2013 // default date for the race

A easy way to find both location coordinates and altitudes is to download Google Earth (free), and set the coordinate system to Decimal Degrees (Option--->3D VIew). Search your exact track location and you'll get both coordinates and elevation data in the right/bottom angle.

Put the date you want to simulate and that's all.

As for the 0,0,0 target just use the average center of the entire scene, just above a drivable surface (so you are not going to fall through the track when you load it for the first time)

19. blakboks

blakboks Registered

In other words (to what Tuttle wrote) North is the +Y direction in 3DSMax.

20. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I have a small question, I haven't been able to see if it has been asked elsewhere in the forum, but here goes anyway.
    Where can I make changes to the in car cameras, I use 3 screens and with the open wheel cars its generally ok, the F2 historics especially, but in mods like the URD cars I want to be able to have a bonnet view, not a rooftop view, even if I can change the in car view, which I use most of the time if adjustments allow, to enable the seat view to go further forward. I don't have the steering wheel show onscreen as it gives me better frames and the HUD gives me the info I need so I don't need to see the Motec as well.

I have looked in the vehicle files but can't seem to find the cam files like they are in RF1, any ideas about how to go about it without editing misfiles??, can I just add a cam file to the car specific folder which the game reads first before the one in the mas file?

Thanks ahead for any thoughts.