rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you only have to look at the Kunos forum to see how determined they are to help and fix bugs, never got that from ISI since Beta began and then ended (yes its not called beta anymore get over it!). Look how long its taken for the tire temp display bug to be fixed...12months+, look at the black mirrors in 60s cars, look at the windshield problems with the Meganes. Simple things that just get overlooked, hopefully the new seperate mods from ISI will address all those issues and more but without communication we're never to know. Oh and dont gimme the "ISI have a small team" crap I see posted everywhere, Kunos are just as small!

Go and try to find the vMod creation video, where is it? easy for a newbie to find? hell no, hidden somewhere, is it on the official site? I cant find it and vMod creation is supposed to be the big thing in this Sim for ease of online playability...yeah right! Look how long its taken them to seperate Skins and thats still not finished, what about the other modding aspects the community asked to be made seperate, AIW/Sounds/Cams etc nothing...silence...KNOCK KNOCK anyone home?!

Right now RF2 has some major strong points, but it also has some major weak points and I for one am bored to tears with repeating the same thing over and over again when already I've had direct answers from two other software companies of similar size who actually know how to communicate with their customers and fans.

Having said that my dinner has settled and I'm off to Essington to race the 370z against the AI....which is something I love right now and amongst other things is something ISI have done well in, just wish they'd pull their collective arses into gear and get on with the rest of the Sim...13months...fix the Megane windshield problem already!!!

2. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I also get a little aggrieved at people telling folk who are pushing to get an improvement in the look to go away and buy a console, or suggest they are in some way less of a sim racer. I used to join in these discussions more than I do now because I was satisfied after several responses from Tim that there were improvements to come, that they were possible, and they were some way down the list. feels3 has also said that there is much more the engine is capable of that he has yet to dive into, and he should know as he is producing some of the best tracks we have seen to date.

So if graphics are not your thing why come onto threads like this just to belittle people for whom it is part and parcel of the experience? Move on because there is nothing for you here.

3. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

[​IMG]

4. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen Registered

I'm one of those who is disappointed with the graphics of rF2. I don't need pCars/Assetto Corsa graphics but how it can be possible that I can almost max out those beautiful titles meanwhile I'm struggling to get smooth fps from that outdated rF2 gfx-engine? Is there something to do with the DirectX version? For example Project Cars runs much smoother with Dx11 than Dx9..

Btw. No SLI-support on Assetto Corsa yet. Still proper fps with only one card. And company is small.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Bottom line is that ISI should have deliberately and vocally dismissed graphics quality as a priority thereby eliminating all the spoiled ass bitching about graphics quality. What I mean is that they should have stuck with rf1 graphics and improved only as much as coukd be done easily without additional hardware required and without all the bugs. Rf1 looked good!

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Really? Then will probably have something else to complain about because resources have been used for something else.

It's no excuse and there is no hiding going on, I simply know how (frustrating) it is/can be. Working with modding teams can only go so far and some time needs to be invested on the ISI side for this as well. I'd rather they get the core of rF2 done first.

Now you are making stuff up, if there were enough people to handle everything we probably would have a finished sim on hour hands.

It sure is lacking something I agree, and I think that is progress, or the pace of that. I don't believe ISI know this and aren't too happy about it either.
    That is quite understandable!

Improvements are always welcome obviously, but when the choice between physics or graphics must be made, as in this case, I'd rather it be physics. The bigger a title and company, the more overhead, the more they need to earn, and it is highly likely the more casual the title will be. So all in all, simracing titles mainly find themselves in a vicious circle which is hard to break through. Unless someone manages to go the right way, of getting a publisher to understand, to make a kickass physics engine with pCars graphics, which can be adjusted from a range from rF2 to Mario-Kart, all this on all platforms. The problem is, this is exists in other areas, such as the Unreal Development Kit, mainly for FPS and 3rd person games, but it does basically one job, and an incredible job at it. I wish we had something like this, but it is probably too niche for us to ever have :(

Not to badmouth feels, I think Croft is awesome, but that doesn't make him the expert. Truth is, I think we barely scratched the surface of what this engine can do, even ISI content is getting better if you compare Spa with Lime Rock.

There is nuance :)

If Kunos is doing a better job physics and graphics wise with the same resources, kudo's to them, and they should be pretty damn proud if or when they do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

one car + one track + less graphical physics to take into account (tire flex being the main one). RF2 has been optimised greatly since the first beta build but still not upto many peoples standards it seems, personally I can crank it right up and get great FPS now!

8. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Nowt wrong with being disappointed with rFactor 2's graphics but to call them "like bad comic" like other fella did is a joke.
    My money says he aint got Poznan, Croft Dunsfold etc and is just basing his opinion on some early half done unoptimised tracks that were released.
    Also I have no trouble getting smooth fps with rF2, whats your PC's specs?

Said this before but Assetto looks great and runs nice at the moment but it has virtually no features implemented yet. When it gets the dynamic roads, lighting, pitstops, rain and even AI (all of which rF2 presently have even if incomplete) it will be interesting to see how well it runs then.
    Methinks Kunos sare still going to have a lot of optimising to do to get these features in their sim and still get a good FPS. This will take time. Kunos have themselves said that it will be a while before we see these features, if at all (their words, not mine!)

pCars does great screenshots and looks decent. So do other simcade games like Dirt, F1 2012 and GT5 on the PS3.
    Each to his own but I think the feel of driving in pCars is crap in comparison with rF2 and the Lotus Elise in Assetto.
    If you feel different to me about this, that's fine, it's only my opinion.
    Would rather have worse graphics and better driving sensation any day of the week.

As for the DX11 argument, Tim Wheatley has already answered that more than once on these forums.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ales, they are going to what?? The customers and modders are switching to what???
    A 1 track, one car tech demo, with nothing in it and at it??
    stupid bullsh.

Pete

10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Great Graphics and great physics should not be mutually exclusive. Neither should official forum and rough development roadmap.

11. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

You don't have to be expert to know that. It's obvious that we are far for engine limit.
    Croft was my first track....and no, it's not awesome, it's mediocre at best.

And note that, we don't have currently modern shaders and this can make huge difference.

12. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

Croft was my first track....and no, it's not awesome, it's mediocre at best

Feels,,croft is one of my fav tracks,,so go easy,,lol,,and it looks and drives awsome to me,,and thats the imprtant bit,:D

13. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Give over. :D

14. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

+1

15. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

This.

We've all paid into this product and want the best from it, so a little more information from the devs wouldn't go amiss.

16. frankwer

frankwer Registered

One major enhancement of the graphics would be to remove the cockpit view so more eyecandy can be added while maintaining the same framerate. I read somewhere that the biggest racing game company in the world will use that strategy in their next game, it will r0xxx0rz.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I know :)

Shaders can make a big difference for sure, but I kind of like the possibilities I'm seeing with them now I'm getting in to those. Artists always want more, bigger and better, and the programmers mostly will be like, we have other stuff to do..

Truth about the shaders is also, that if you put good stuff in them, good stuff will come out, and it can only get better.

18. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Remove the cockpit view and they (whoever they are) can remove me from their list of users.

it will wot??? :cool:

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

like the crap grid game?

Sadly I have to agree.

20. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Me too...
    I spend a fair bit of time playing that Rise Of Flight WW1 air sim thingy and since the 777 company took over from Neoqb the customer relations have been basically top notch.
    They regularly keep you updated with their plans and their news, certainly more than ISI do.
    Definitely room for improvement from ISI in this department.