Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

Ideally yes, but I believe it's up to the developers of the game or sim in question.
    For instance in rFactor 2 I'm fairly certain this setting is never loaded.
    However with, say, iRacing, a real specific implementation, it's probably loading that setting.
    Give it a shot it just takes two seconds anyways. See if you spot a diff.
    Mines maxed out either way because I have a freakishly large horizontal FOV IRL.

2. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Opentrack is way too sensitive for me. If I move my rift just a little bit, im turned around 360. Not really headtracking.. Any solution to that?

3. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

No one with same issue? I also tried Vireio Perception for games like Slender (horror). In that case my sensitvity is way too high too. I turn head sideways and im spinning 360. Tested on a laptop and my main computer. I really don't get it. All native apps (including iracing) work perfectly. Really want to play rFactor 2 with it :eek:

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

You have to change your player.PLR file. See:

5. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

That aint the issue I think. I changed that and indeed I can look all around. But, if I move just a little bit to the left, its already a big 360 turn. I open up opentrack, select rift source and when I move just a little bit (up or to the left) the example images already turns 360. So I think that must be the source of problem. Same seems to be happening with Vireio Perception. Suprised i'm the only one :/

6. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Ah ok, you have to change the tracking curves in Opentrack too. It's the lower-right button called Curves. Change all your rx,ry and rz Curves so that 0-180° input -> 0-180° output.

(And invert pitch and roll axis using the checkboxes)

7. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Argh missed that. Works, thanks!

8. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

LOL Yeah I had forgotten to check my roll... when you don't know your roll is the wrong way and start driving anyway, it feels reaaaal screwy until you realize what's wrong! :)

9. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

GEEZ... that... that sunlight.... it's even got the sunlight down! I can "feel" it shift over my head as I move around the tracks.
    Yeah, that's the best stereoscopy I've seen in gaming so far. It's always excellent when it's natively supported.

10. budwheizzah

budwheizzah Registered

I can vouch for improving the 3D sight... but in my case not by playing Tetris, rather I've just been gaming in stereoscopic 3D on *everything* for 2 years now. From 3DS to my my 23in ASUS to my LG 47in and now my Rift... I haven't seen a monoscopic game in forever. In fact I reject mono anything now. Feels so bland in comparison even the best 2D graphics feel like a letdown.

Stack on some stereoscopic video editing - been doing that for over a year in all sorts of applications (diving, outdoors, rocketry, etc) and I definitely feel more sensitivity to depth and have become able to identify specifically what's wrong with something that you could call "bad 3D" and can spot "stereoscopic window violations" from a mile away.

I'm fairly certain the reason why Tetris has proven so effective is that it demands you focus on the screen during the gameplay, and doesn't move too much, thus making it a very casual title to play in stereo for long amounts of time.

PS: If it were of me I'd have away with all the nonsensical 3D warnings on TV's and camcorders. It's all bull. No research has concluded that stereoscopic imagery causes eye damage, ever. In fact studies that are looking into it now are finding the opposite is true. Plus, the strain I've personally experienced from 3D gaming is no different than any "staring at a screen for hours" eye strain. Maybe a tad more with 3D because your eyes lock onto the monitor way more - but still nothing substantial compared to standard 2D.

11. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Ye I believe it can improve. But this tetris version is special. In the past we got a patch on our dominant eye to improve the lazy one, but thats BS. This tetris idea shows, for instance falling blocks on left eye and lying blocks on the right eye. This way your brains are forced to make them work together and it shows results.

Info @ http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/04/23/technology-tetris-lazy-eye.html

I am planning to maybe build this (as study project), as it's not yet available for the rift.

Ontopic:

Driven rFactor 2 and iRacing. It's great! Just too low resolution to really 'play'. But great experience so far! :) I really love how your arms become your arms. In that matter I like rFactor 2 much better, even without native implementation, because the arms turn more than 90 degrees. iRacing has a lock :( It's weird!

I hope ISI will implement this really soon (before consumer version). We need native :D

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
  13. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Wow awesome. Hope to try it out soon. Thanks for this work!

14. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Did I mention I love you! Thanks heaps for this, it works great, racing side by side is amazing. RF2 seems to work better with the rift than iracing as far as driving fast goes, I think its the fact that the FFB communicates more info.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Nice to read this posts (-;

.......roll on the high res consumer version hey

Lets hope it's going to be big, it could be a real hit

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Really jealous here Vittorio, cant wait for consumers version.

This Oculus thing looks like a true revolution in gaming.

The cost for a flat screen and 1080p projector is a minimum €1000.
    The cost of a half dome or a curve screen and two progectors is a minimum €2000.
    The cost of a full dome with three projectors is a minimum €3000.

As I understand this Oculus thing promises a full sphere at €300 !!

If you consider also space needed for above screens and not so good performance at anything except total darkness, well, case closed for me, Ill just sit and wait for it, judging by their development pace this is 6 to 12 months wait, after which most other displaying methods in sims will become obsolete.

By next year the big companies will step in too, there will be a race for more resolution, suddenly future looks blidingly bright :cool:

17. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

Look this: InfinitEye

[​IMG]

- H Fov: 210º:eek:

-

There is a competing by Samsung to get 100.000$ for the project with more votes in facebook, and this goes third.

More information, and how vote here: http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/08/14/infiniteye-210-degree-hmd-prototype-contest-vote-7508

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So, the race is already on, great news :D

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

20. elbo

elbo Registered

Vittorio for President!!!
    Thank you very much for making this available to us.
    Are you familiar with fazerbox trackmap plugin?
    Do you think it would be very complicated to integrate some of the elements in the plugin to the rift HUD?
    In an ideal situation I would like to be able to place these elements outside my track field of vision, example in my virtual lap and then just glance down when I need the info.

Again thank you for the work so far it is really appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.