Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baked bean

baked bean Registered

That was my biggest problem when I got trackir, before I would use a low fov around 38-40 (single screen, may be lower) which would be enough to me give me my visual cue from the horizon when the car was stepping out.
    So when I got trackir my cues where gone, my lap times dropped and couldnt catch a cold. Tried adding deadzone which helped a bit but was hard to find the sweet spot. I changed to one to one (no deadzone) head tracking in trackir settings and also changed my fov to around 50ish this helped alot, my visual cues had changed from being the horizon movment, to the actual car movment because of the higher fov, and it felt more natural too. I cant drive rf2 without it now, but Oculus rift is going to take it to the next level. :cool:

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

^ I just hope they get the motion sickness (for those of us who are affected) solved. :(

I hear it could be the tinniest amounts of tracking lag that still remains in the current devkit and that they have a solution to effectively reduce the lag to zero by coupling the tracking software with some predictive tracking (which is just a fantastic idea).

Out of interest, those of you who have been using the rift in games and especially sim racing, how has managing sweating been? I recall it getting awfully hot, humid and uncomfortable after 15 mins.

3. Jos

Jos Registered

So pretty much like a real helmet? :p

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, true but if i can avoid it..... :)

5. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I dont sweat in mine when racing. Sweating is usually one of the first signs of nausea...

and lol @ me, I did a bit of racing the other night (Formula RR in Race 07 which has a helmet view) and put an open face crash helmet on whilst wearing the Rift. It felt brilliant but I probably looked stupid :D

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

apologies if already mentioned but how does iRacing (or RF2 for that matter) deal with a HUD? is it "there" or totally missing?

8. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

No one grabbed vorpX yet?

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Just got home from work, buying now, will report back :)

10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

probably? ;)

11. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I got my activation code early this morning so will have to wait til tonight to try it out properly. Look forward to hearing your impressions :)

:D

12. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

Any joy mate? I cant figure out how to get headtracking working :s

13. Adrian

Adrian Registered

:-( still waiting for my activation 18 hours so far. Might re send the email. Hopefully there by the time I get home tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

14. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Right, so I got my licence code and got it working (note at the moment there's a conflict with msi afterburner atm, well at least for me, games wont launch with it running). It works with RF2 and the RIFT plugin and with RF1 and opentrack. The built in headtracking uses mouse look and is therefore beyond useless (jerky and stuttery).

Comparing it to Tridef it looks slightly nicer as it seems to be adding its own AA and CA correction. However there's a problem with the pre-distortion which appears to be warping and streching the edges of the screen, this might be able to be fixed in settings?

As it stands if your wanting to use your rift with RF1 and RF2 tridef gives the best results, but vorpx works with a whole heap more games.

15. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Really tempted to purchase one, I see it will fit over glasses as well? Honestly I'm glad I never went multi-screen because of this.

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

How far is the lcd or led screen from your eyes? I think that in terms of eye relaxation when driving, the focus point should be at certain distance. What kind of lens system is it using and what is the focal distance of the system?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

17. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

From the Oculus Rift FAQ:

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for the info bart. This feature is essential. If brightness is controlled as well and the 3d sensation when turning the head is natural I dont see any reason why any health issue should arise from using these device.
    Maybe the one who posted in the triple screen thread can justify his fears instead of throwing alarming and threatening messages about spoiling eyes/sight. I wouldn't see it more dangeorous than other games which early advise that could provoke an epileptic attack.
    Offtopic I wear contact lenses and I use the ones that are supposed to be replaced every month. The pair I am using is from december 28 2012 and they are in perfect shape. In the manufacturer prospect it says this could harm eyes. I would think that the only thing that they want to avoid harm to is to their incomes. So one should interpret the messages taking into account the source and its particular interests. However, I dont see the reason why this guy is throwing this message :confused:. I wouldn't think he works for a monitor making company. If he really thinks is a harmful product he should denounce it to the competent authority or pass the issue to someone that could do it.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

19. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

ahh well that sucks been wanting to use it in rF1. can you use TriDef in rF1? i thought it was just rF2, i still get a heap of drifting in rF2 with Tridef though :(

20. Adrian

Adrian Registered

http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=690

I use that profile + opentrack for RF1. With RF2 have you downloaded the oculus SDK and set up a profile? I found that helped get rid of most of the drift I was having, it still does it once in a while though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.