Recommendations for better multi GPU performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Campana, Dec 20, 2012.

1. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Thanks willdo.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Shadows High instead of max improves performance without hitting the iq too much.
    I would not use medium.

3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Thanks guys -- 40% improvement in FPS :)

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

40% wow

Maximum shadows and drivers is always the first thing you reduce in most sims.

On thing some people do not consider online when joining big rooms.
    At times a person will complain of lag when sometimes it is just plain stutter.

So if you intend to run in open 30 car room make sure your settings can handle it at it's "lowest point" on the "heaviest" Circuit. Test in weather and night offline too.

5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

In my case, if I disable SLI from nvidia control panel, I can run with Max settings (shadows, reflections, you name it) and never dip below 60fps (vsynced due to s3d). It runs flawlessly. Enable SLI and it dips into the 40s. There is severe negative scaling in my instance with or without the modified compatibility bits.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

The compatibility bits just helps a bit, it does not fix it. There is an incompatibility with the reflection of rf2 and sli right now.
    This will be adressed with one of the coming updates.

7. C3PO

C3PO Registered

What res are you running at?

8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Ok, thanks. Strange thing is, whilst turning reflections off does improve things, with SLI enabled, with 10 AI , at the back of the grid at Mills Metro, frame rate still dips to low 40s / High 30s (reflections off). Disabling SLI completely gives me the full 60fps at back of grid even with reflections. Guess SLI is unoptimised across the board (not just reflections). Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

For now, I will just disable SLI when running rf2.

Cheers

9. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

running a ATI 5970 here. When I run AFR friendly shadow performance seems to be slightly better, HDR still puts the framerate below 10. But it also introduces a stutter

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

For ATI crossfire, are you sure you dont have to actually make/save a profile in order to use anything other than "default" for the crossfire settings? Does just clicking apply actually work?

11. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

yes you have to make a profile for rfactor.exe found in the core folder and change the xfire setting there

12. gpfan

gpfan Registered

I was runnig RF2 with a HD 6990 since the beta and now swap to a gtx 680 and voila, every issue i had with multy GPU were gone!!! No more Stutters, performance is almost the same with triple screens, all max out and i can run with 30 FPS without any problem!!!!

Avarage FPS now is 60 and smooth like silk!!!! Impressive!!!! i can play RF2 a last!!!!

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

How long has this been the case?

i noticed that reflection was the single largest contributor to fps loss. When on, it drops to 60-80 and when off it goes up to 140-180. Since 60-80 is stuttering i need to also turn off the reflections to get 140+ where it's then stutter-free.

14. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I here stuff like this and I get mad (but i am happy for you) nvidia guys have so much better performance than ATI, I have 2 5870's @ res of 5040 x 1050 and get slightly better performance running just one card not only in rfactor but in other titles as well the only game I ever used that took advantage of my 400 dollar paper weight was dirt 2 I think. I tried the AFR friendly but didn't notice a change, so I disabled x fire and performance went up about 3 to 5 frames and the game looked better and and didn't stutter at the start of the race @ croft with 12 AI settings on high road refection off and all the other things switched off to. But I must say I turned HDR on after that, not having it for months now and WOW the game came to F'n life that sh*t is awesome :D I think I might sell off the cards and go back to nvidia (680 or whatever the hell the numbers are now) I had nothing but good things when I had 2 gtx260's (old school) :) ha lol...

rant over....

15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

I had an HD6990. I dumped it for 2 x GTX680 and I can tell you that I get far better performance in both rf2 and pCars using just 1 card (ie SLI disabled). Its night and day (especially in pCars which is also not great in SLI for me).

16. elbo

elbo Registered

I get pretty dismal performance from my 2 570gtx. The worst combination seems to be the skippy at limerock (although i have not tested extensively at all tracks. Sli actually gives me a great boost in rf1 but it is not the case in rf2. As mentioned here a slight bump in performance is had with disabling enviro reflections. The cars look so flat and lifeless without it though. It might be cool is ISI brought back the fake enviro reflections that were in rf1 as an additional option between no enviro reflection and real enviro reflection.

17. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Well not sure if ISI or Ati DID SOMETHING After last build or drivers but now crossfireX works fully in rF2 both gpu's running high or max %), my fps doubled and shot up to 180fps, so much so that i can run SSAAx3 (no jaggies on that) and everything in panel at max, and turn on v-sync (which I prefer) and get a rock solid and totally smooth 60fps (60Hz monitor)
    So I am very happy with my HD6950's for the moment :)

18. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I'm glad one of my 3870x2 gpu has died (I think(atikmdag.sys BSOD with crossfire on, works good with only one gpu) and I will never buy ATI. It lasted almost 5years.
    anyway if this afr tip is supposed to work even in the old architecture card I will put my card again in the oven just to play one more time lol
    until I get a GTX660Ti =D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  19. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

AFR doesn't make mine any better? mine works fine in default

20. Revan

Revan Registered

Which driver do you use and what settings do you set? With my two HD6970 i get only ~60-70 fps on 2560x1440. Cat 12.11 Beta 11