ARI Fun Race 5@Mills Park (Chicane) Day/Night Event.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fergy, Jul 5, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

No, we need another guy who lives in warm climate like me, common Todd!!!

(just remembered Long Island can be pretty hot at summer LOL)

2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

you ain't kidding nikos we've been in a heat wave for about 2 weeks now.....ugh

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Temperatures Paul? Its getting much over 35C here and pc is struggling.
    Had my first black screen yesterday in a long race.

4. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

last week it hit 38 this week about 33..... it sucks big time because i have to work in it...

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

...and ure having big humidity because of Hudson if I remember. Hope holidays are near :)

6. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Couple of things

Slight change to Race Rules, which I'm sure you all have read;) DNF rule is now set to 80% instead of 50 which is a little to kind. Crashing out on 79% will give you no points.

I want to persist with the Safety Car for this race. After some testing I found coming into the pits under full course yellow on the first lap of the safety car is a no no. If you have damage it will be best to stay out on track until the 3rd lap of the safety period. Coming in earlier will mean you have to wait at the end of the pits until the light goes green, which could mean a wait of some 2 full laps. Denpending on your damage level of course.
    Also keeping a tight pack is important, if your too slow the game will drop you back positions. This can be adjusted or even turned off. Here's how the file reads for those who have not seen it.

Adjust Frozen Order="1.00000" // Moves vehicles down the frozen track order under the safety car if they are causing the yellow and being passed. 0.0=off, 0.1-0.9=apply liberally, 1.0+=apply conservatively

If anyone has anything to add to this it would be great to compile some info for all to read as it can be confusing in the heat of the moment.

7. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

Hey Skele, you're from Long Island where I happened to grow up in Smithtown. I now live in S. California where we have many days over 100, but not yet. Been a great summer. Mornings here are almost always 59'. California Perfect! When I was on L.I., summer temps were 80-90's. What's this Celsius stuff? We have to keep our American heritage (ignorance in this case) and continue to show the world we're oblivious to the metric system!

I'll be around for these races, no worries guys. I'm here for fun and this is a great group. These races start at noon for me, and I get practicing an hour or so earlier, so when I had connection issues Sunday, it just wasted the whole day. Could have gone flying too on Sunday :( I ran F3's at Mills outer without the chicane a few months ago with the SimHQ guys and it was some of the best racing I've had in rF2. Two races there were absolutely incident free which was amazing! And it was a tough track for some. Looking forward to it.

8. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Bryan, How does exactly changing that value affects the safety car situation to decide who is front if who?

I don't know how are race temperatures configured. Would be great if it would get cooler as sun sets and then get warmer as sun rises.

9. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

By the way, server is being down all day? At least that's what I see at the sr4l site

10. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Server is on, I just test it. What your seeing is live timing showing server down. Live timing will be on for this practice session. I'm trying not to run it all the time as it has a bug as well:p

Let test SC later tonight and see what we can come up with.

I can configure weather for the entire race, track temps and so on but it won't make any difference at the moment, hot or cold you get the same grip. Rain on the other hand will effect grip but that's for the up coming Events;)

11. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Rain during the night... That would be total chaos :)

12. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Fine. I use to take a look at it to check people's fastest laps, so I can see whether my setup needs to be improved or I am in the good way.

I'll try to be there to help testing

Oh, I thought temperatures already affected tyre performance, we'll have to wait for another update, then.

13. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

LOL thats cool Im working in smithtown right now Rt 347 and 111 remember that intersection? We are redoing the road. Cali does have the best weather with out a doubt, I have family in santa barbra.....o and the the metric thang....i work in the metric system everyday im a surveyor :) glad to see you'll be joining us....

14. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

This is so true yesterday i was on with Wim and David Cruickshank. Dave was pulling 2:03:xxx's on a not so rubber'd track so I ask to take a look at his setup and when comparing gears mine where very different so I changed them and took about 1.5 seconds off my time without really trying. I was going about my gearing by keeping the rev range low for a more docile car...... Dave's gearing was more aggressive with better acceleration keeping the RPMS up. With that, my tires took less stress especially the left front I drove better I guess......

15. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I don't think the british will like the metric system either, but it's the official international meassure.

miles per galon? what the hell is that? ;)

16. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I once tried one of David's setups, yes, it kept revs really high, but i think that compensates that understeery setup.
    I look for the best average range according to all curves in the track. My setups tend to be (or that`s what I like) more neutral/slight oversteery, I prefer driving that way.

17. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

I don't want to sound like a crybaby but I think I will skip this race. I've done now over 100 laps on this track and still feel very very uncomfortable all the time. This car and track combination feels like a nightmare for me and looking at the times I'm 7-9 secs slower than the current best laps. I'm happy if I can do a lap without spinning out or do a lap time better than 2:15.xxx.
    I don't know how I could do a race under conditions like this and I definately don't want to ruin it for others if they have to lap me in lap 3 or 4 already.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Ok, no problem, I'll ruin it for them anyway, so, dont worry, job will be done regardless.

(thats no excuse you have there, we discussed this before a lot of times imo)

19. jjcook

jjcook Registered

Dont be premature - we have a good selection of backmarkers- you have lots of time to improve yet as well-

everyone should check they can do 30 minutes without overheating/blown engine issues - if you run high rpm's it can happen

Fergy can you post a set-up? i like your set-ups

I hate this track but will run anyhow :) need practice - hope to see you guys on practice- my time zone is late for you europeans- sunday races are at noon for me ;)

20. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I can confirm this! :rolleyes: