Huge difference between W7 and XP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Well, I did something stupid so you don't have to :)
    I took XP off my machine while it was running RF2 just fine, but wanted even better and put in W7 64bit.

Now the problems are huge!
    Tearing; 3 to 5 lines just on the track in front.......XP gave me 1 line up in the air and I didn't notice that.
    FPS drops in corners; XP did not do that as much.
    Stuttering; I had it gone in XP with the "Flush" fix but now it doesn't work anymore.
    Something else I did not get with XP is the line's of fences, boardings and all other things are just "moving" and are dreadful to the eyes! You must compare it with someone on television who is wearing a striped shirt; that is how the lines behave. XP didn't do that either; the lines were sharp and steady so the image was smooth.

Maybe this is a warning to you guys who want to do as me; better not ;)
    And maybe there are some W7 users who'd do anything for a smooth game; go back to XP :)

I tried all the fixes, updates and stuff; nothing works.
    I think it's a bit strange that a new game is not running well on a new(er) OS; is this because the engine is just RF1 and "out of date"? The DX version for this game is 9 is it not? Is it so that RF2 just can't handle W7? Or the 64 bit?

I was happy with XP; I did the flush fix, set my max framerate to 60 and setting medium or low; it maintained the 60 when I was alone and the game was smooth.
    I probably go back now, maybe when it is not fixed after the first update.

What I wanted to ask; can it be that W7 is shutting things off during the game? When I play, I hear it shutting down the HD all the time. Can it be that for the same reason, it shuts down more like the processor in a lower gear or something like that, that is doesn't know that a game is running and it should be awake?
    Or am I now talking rubbish? :) I really don't know, just want to find out what is happening, make the game better........

Anyway; you are warned; I took one for the team here ;)

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I'm running it on Win7 64bit, no problems here of the sort you're describing here.

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Like Ethone I've got no issues with W7 x64. Your issue might be driver specific, optimization specific or similar. The issue with PC gaming is different combinations of drivers/hardware/OSes can have vastly different results.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, keeps getting stranger then.......Nice for you though, but I can't explain why this is happening then.

5. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Is your copy of W7 up to date? There's talk of a recent Windows 7 update that has yielded performance increases for many rFactor2 players.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No problems here - Win 7 64-bit, GeForce GTS 450 1GB, NVIDIA driver 285.62

To make your problem report more valid, always provide information about your hardware that is related to the problem. In your case it should be graphics card and graphics driver version.

I've played around with different level of detail settings and everything worked fine. Even on older drivers it worked, althoug performance was 2-3 times worse.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes, I updated it several times, there were al kinds of updates coming up.

Now I realized that I did not put main board drivers in (thought that wasn't necessary in W7) but trying to now. It is an Asus P5KC and there are no W7 drivers for it :( So try to put in Vista X64 drivers now, for the sound too........

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Information; you're right; the card is an GF GX 260 OC with aE8200 CPU @3200Mhz. The drivers are the same as you; the newest Nvidia.

9. SeKa

SeKa Registered

How is it with other Games? Do you notice some unusual experience with known(allready played) games? In some case i had in pass PSU that was not flawless, and don´t deliver enough on high voltage. So the card is also stuttering and making nonsense in some case. Write a bit more your specs.

But W7 64 bit should be pretty nice for rF2. I can´t believe a OS faults.

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Have you tried disabling the overclock too? rFactor2's compatibility isn't the best yet so perhaps a custom game profile in which the OC is disabled'd help.

Actually, on that note, a lot of people have actually noted that custom profiles for the game help immensely - I may be having a smoother time than many other users because I force a special AA/AF/quality profile on all games.

Though on the subject of OS faults it does happen. I posted something in the modding section but I was having an issue with GPU crashes on certain 3D/2D editing apps that ran on the card's slower '2D' clocks that was causing crashes. The VPU recovery system (TDR) that detects when the graphics have locked up was far too sensitive and restarting the GPU at the slightest hesitation. I had to set the delay up to seven seconds and I've not had a crash since.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sounds to me like you need to update drivers and update directx (even if you think dx is up to date)... There should be no such issues like that in W7 64bit.

12. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I don't think it's the OS either. There's a reason the recommended specs are Win 7 64-bit and 4GB+ RAM.

I can't think of a single "modern" game that runs better on XP than Win 7.

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Baldur's Gate. That said the Infinity Engine was one of those that was made before '3D acceleration' was more than that box you ticked when you wanted smooth transparencies for five minutes before your game crashed.

(Yeah, it was a stretch. Windows 7 is beautifully optimized for gaming all in all.)

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It probably *is* something to do with his OS, such as drivers. It's not anything to do with *which* OS though. :)

15. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Well you couldn't pay me to go back to XP. LOL! I had stutters and tearing at first but now things are humming along nicely on my W7 x64 machine.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the advise guys,

I tried all the updates now; thought I was done, but still they kept appearing in the box. Just last night I did SP1 and after that, the game went really bad! Mainboard drivers in; better (but still no XP quality).

Now I bought this video card with the OC; I really don't want to mess with that because my expertise on this subject is pretty low......I wouldn't know how to set up, how to make a profile and what to set.

All the drivers are now updated but DX I can't update more; went to the site of Microsoft, installed the little program that "feels" what you need, it went and gave me an update, but then the update fails every time........

I haven't tried any other games so far; all my time went up in this and I am pretty busy with a teachers education (with already suffers under this ;) ) You know you have to do study's and researches, but against better judgement, you keep going on with the game ;)

17. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Any drivers you got with your motherboard and GPU are old and you should always download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. That slao goes for windows 7. All drivers for hardware are old.

18. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It also might be helpful (just might, mind) to flash your BIOS to the latest version as this can yield better device compatibility and stability. This procedure comes with risks so read up on it and make sure you know what you're doing because if you make a mistake and your hardware is damaged that's on you. In this instance however it's a long shot.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

The drivers are all new from the manufacturers now, so that's taken care off.
    Bios flashes don't agree with me, so I don't really want to do that......

The strange thing is, I can drive with 60 fps now and that's going to 54 in some corners with settings to low and medium. Now I put everything to high and full, and got the same results; 60 steady (I topped it with "max framerate") and the corners give me 50 fps now; that's not a big difference is it?

But, to make al long story short; every update I do, seems to make it worse...... that's a bit odd right?

20. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Also check the properties on your HD.

Open 'My Computer'.
    Right click on your HD or partition that has rF2 on it.
    Select properties.
    Is compress space ticked?
    Is 'indexed' ticked?

The compressed is not good for a performance machine,untick it.
    Indexing does not help either so you may want to turn that off also.

How many services are running?
    How many start up programs do you have?