Released Caterham Academy

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 4, 2022.

1. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

120% in rf2 is too much, the kerbs are too much strong...

2. adi rany

adi rany Registered

Well this is not serious at all from rf2 staff.

My advise to you all : go drive the caterham academy in automobilista 1 (one not two).

sk8 likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What do you want from S397 staff?

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have my desk wheel mismatching games wheel rotation. Anyone has same problem ?

When I turn 180degs, game turns about 200 maybe 220degs approx. Still can drive, but I know such stuff messes up with precision and FFB feel. Yes I said it - FORCEFEEDBACK.

Also in every competition system event my windshield shaders mess up, anyone has this too ?

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Of course, it's a personal choice but, beware.

Altering the json to limit output is fine for the game-ffb signal however, it does not address hazards related to game crashes or other PC-related / usb errors that can inadvertently apply full power (severe, fast and sustained pull to one side) to the ffb system. Those type of errors can apply the maximum force set within the servo-output settings.

I've had it happen several times where such errors occurred and I'm fortunate to have come away with only relatively minor injuries. It can be something as simple as a background process taking priority, USB-interrupt events, etc.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Maarten Nauta likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Is that with the Caterham? Or other cars as well? Depending upon the wheel, you can select a range of travel to match what the game is presenting. Although my Fanatec seems to only move in increments of 10. So I can get 540 or 550 but not 542.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@davehenrie I didn't check other cars today, I also did try both options game setting degrees and me doing so. But in the past I had reported such issues with some cars, as for example Howston Dissenter. So it could be simply same issue.

I would majorly benefit if this issue gets tackled, cause I have it in all my cars. I've made a guess in the past that it is related to "new" steering entries in HDV, and this issue was introduced somewhere around beginning of this year, or maybe by the end of previous year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@mantasisg

I may have the same problem as you.

This problem is insoluble, I tried many things.

I would describe the problem as follows :

1) No visual correlation between the real steering wheel which is a T300 and the virtual steering wheel.

2) The actual rotation of the T300 seems to perfectly match the steering wheel angle in the setup. So rF2 in this circunstances can be use with virtual wheel ="fixed".

3) Very important, it only seems to happen above 720 degrees.

Can you confirm that you have the same problem as me ?

Ps : there is this issue on some of your cars with woochoo too, not all.

10. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Try these settings, may be of help. Set the Default max wheel angle to suite your wheel
    [​IMG]

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Not sure if same. To me the steering is mismatching progressively more the more you turn, it is just becoming obvious after some rotation. Some cars mismatching more, and some less.

Yes this issue should be present in woochoos endurance cars packs, as I never used these later steering HDV entries, as I didn't see reason to, I just guess the issue might be related to those, but don't know. Too bad can't look at Caterhams physics files.

@Highlandwalker Caterhams steering degrees matches perfectly to you ? I will attempt to mess with those options. Again.

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think this issue should be in its own thread so that it doesn't get mixed and buried. It works well for me and I think for many others so it might be something with your configuration. Having a thread where everyone affected can share their setups might lead to the solution.

Having the default max wheel angle correctly set is very important. It must be set to the max rotation set in your wheel. If your wheel is setup to rotate max 900 then that must be the value for this setting.

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You don't have this issue ? Many simracers just will never notice it, unless they look for it, or has some very good sense to it.

Funny thing is that I have been moaning so much about this stuff in past, that Lazza created thread for it haha: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/mantasisgs-wheel-rotation.70858/page-2

I guess we may add Caterham to that thread, hopefully it won't be necessary.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I always used 900° for the default setting. But when I actually took note of the full range of my CSW2.5, the number matched what is shown a few posts above. 880° I don't know where those 20° went as I am fairly certain 900 used to work just fine.

15. Highlandwalker

May be Fanatec reduced it to 880 degrees to reduce the strain on end stop mechanism in the base. I've seen a couple of pictures of damaged end stop mechanisms.

16. Highlandwalker

I've just checked the wheel rotation of the Caterham and it is incorrect. When I turn my wheel 90 degrees the on screen wheel is about 10 degrees short. The mini is the also incorrect by the same amount as the Caterham. The BTCC cars are all correct, so it must be an error within the files of the Caterham and Mini. Using the settings in my previous post works for all the cars I have.

mantasisg and Emery like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Kinda weird since both my previous wheels, a Logitech and a Thrustmaster PC both had very fast self check rotations, you didn't want your headphone wire tangled up with the wheel when you powered them on. This Fanatec has a nice gentle sloooow rotation from stop to stop.

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@Highlandwalker @mantasisg

Can you put in the SETUP page 720 degrees, for the Austin and the Caterham.

If it works perfectly but it doesn't work at 900 or 880 (maximum value of the car), you have the same problem as me.

19. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

If you edit your JSON file and tone down the jolts (from memory) - I'm running 0.5 - and possibly fiddle with the kerb effects in the JSON too, kerbs are not an issue. This is not specific to the Caterham - I've had to do this from day one with the SC2 Pro.

20. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

So - @Seven Smiles 's "Porpoising effect"...

I've just experienced this in VR at the Oulton Park (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774417166) track. Check out the two attached videos - from the side view you can see that the rear suspension appears quite out of balance visually with the front and although it's not so obvious from the cockpit view I've recorded, it is quite unpleasant in VR!

I had noticed in general testing around Cadwell that the front suspension wasn't necessarily moving up and down as much as I remember from RL...