Your scale settings.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by msportdan, Aug 9, 2014.

1. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Just interested in seeing what scale settings people use for fuel, tyre wear rr etc etc

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I've used the same system forever in sims. I set fuel and tyre wear to regular 1x so that they are just like life real life (since they affect physics/handling).

Time scale, I set to 2x so that if I am in a session for 2 hours the time/shadows/sun/night/etc. will have changed as if I was there for 4 hours. I find this works better because I am not planning on staying in a session for 12 or 24 hours, but sometimes I do stay in a session for 3, 4, 5, even 6 hours and this just makes it feel like being at the track for a whole real-life day like you would in real life. You get a mix of a consistent time/look (too high a multiplier will make the changes happen too fast) while still experiencing some change due to the 2x multiplier. Good mix of realism and a bit of acceleration in order to simulate being at the track for a full 8 or 10 hr (or more) day. I'm going to experiment with 3x but I want to avoid the time changing too fast and therefore feeling like a video-game rather than reality.

Track rubbering I haven't experimented with yet. If using a "larger" grid of, let's say, 11 or more A.I. and doing other sessions like practice, quali, etc. then I'll probably keep it at 1x (regardless of whether the weekend starts "green" or with some rubber). If only racing with a few other cars and hardly any other sessions before the race, then I am thinking of maybe increasing it from 1x, but that depends also on the starting amount of rubber.

I have to admit, I really like the accelerated track rubbering for quick online races where you do a 20 min practice session with a 20 min quali and a 15 min or so race. It really allows everyone to feel the track rubbering and how it affects everything. For "proper" full length sessions (1 or 2 practice sessions of 60+ mins each, qualy 45+ mins, race 45+ mins) I would definitely leave it (and everything else except time scale) at 1x because of all the laps getting put down.

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I do small 6 lap races , and set tyre wear to x2. Would u say that will ruin the handling and physics ? I have tested setting the rr x20 and u get lot of rubber on the second lap lol

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Any amount of tyre wear, won't ruin the physics. What I meant in my post is that I like the affects of tyre wear, mechanical damage, and fuel usage to be no quicker (or slower) than reality. However, increasing the scale/speed for those options can be great for shorter races where you want those effects to come into play more since they affect handling, strategy, etc.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

That's pretty much exactly what I do. Fuel and tyre to 1X, time to 2X and then I set a nice mix of clouds for most tracks. I usually use 1X real road though, as I found the track rubbers up much better in regards to no huge black racing lines going down the straights, which looks silly to me.

I've found i don't really change the real road scale now. All cars are driving on the same surface, and it means I don't notice these massive changes in grip over 20 laps or so. Just very slow and gradual differences, that aren't being measured in 3-4s a lap quicker. For multiplayer though, it makes a bit of sense.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

1x for all scaled settings. Keep it real, y'allz. :cool:

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Who says 1x is 1x anyways :) ? .......then does a 1960s conventional wear the same as a slick.

For me it depends on the cars circuits and race setup

I like 4x-7x fuel if I want to add a pitstop to a short race, personally I like doing pitstops and it is good practice ....... anyway it can't be anymore then a full tank can it ? don't you drive your car on full tanks.

2x 4x tyres on a F3 Historic will stop you locking brakes ..... good teaching aid. ;)

I see much in scaling settings to situation.

Real road I start a session with decent rubber and set to 0.5x-0.7x

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  8. Minibull

Minibull Member

Pretty sure the idea is to tie tyre wear rates to the actual amount of rubber given to the track. Old racing tyres wont flick marbles off like a modern F1 slick will.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah true and I am more then happy to give up that realistic feature if it makes everyone runs slicks happy. :)

Maybe I bias and single minded but for me Historics has been good enough from Day 1.

All I need is a 1967 season and cars I be happy for years.........

lol ;)

In the end the tyre wear, build up, track rubber, flatspots is all canned "to a degree" isn't it?

That is why I think there is good value to be had in fuel and tyre scales.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014
  10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Thought this thread would get more air play.

That is what I meant.

Open rooms most are short races so at 1x people 95% use minimal fuel which makes the car easier to keep on the edge.

Also if "real" is the word then some add on tracks are erroneous, like Kyalami in a F3 uses a litre a lap which obviously is not correct.

I have not got the time to sit for a solid 20 laps at a time at Belgium just to get the full effect of handling and braking transitions on full to empty tanks.

But with 4x fuel you can do it in 5 laps and still get that full range of feeling........much like you get from accelerating time for ambiance.