KNOWN Wrong tire compund in xml for outlap if next lap abandoned

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Nibo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I`ve found that if on lap after your pit-out lap (i.e. first flying lap) you press ESC and abandon it, then tire compound data in xml is wrong for pit-out lap.

Example from testing with Nissan GTR and Mores:
    Fitted Medium: <Lap num="1" p="1" et="--.---" fuel="0.537" fcompound="0" rcompound="0">--.----</Lap>
    Fitted Medium: <Lap num="2" p="1" et="77.8998" fuel="0.537" fcompound="0" rcompound="0">--.----</Lap>
    Fitted Wet tires:<Lap num="3" p="1" et="154.1102" fuel="0.537" fcompound="0" rcompound="0">--.----</Lap>
    Fitted Medium: <Lap num="4" p="1" et="225.6668" fuel="0.537" fcompound="1" rcompound="1">--.----</Lap>

If first flying lap is completed, then outlap shows right compound data.

.......................................................................................
    Also, please read this. With the way whole rF2 tire environment setup right now its impossible to make universal and right color coding for tires in race-reports. That is because:
    Formula ISI with default tires upgrade (all compounds available) outputs: 0-wet, 1-inters, 2-SS, 3-Soft, 4-Medium, 5-Hard
    Formula ISI with tires with only Soft-Medium compounds allowed outputs: 0-wet, 1-inters, 2-Soft, 3-Medium
    Nissan GTR outputs: 0-Medium 1-wet
    So its all compounds that available for selected car on this track in order from left to right, like in setup screen.

But, you see, most mods have dry tires first and wet tires last. But Formula ISI has this order reversed. And basically any modder can set this order how he/she likes.

It would be nice if there was agreed standard for all ISI and non-ISI mods, so that wet tires always were last in order, to have higher numbers. Then, in 3d-party result-generating software it would be possible to always mark wet tires.

2. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Good point Nibo.

Besides, why not output a string value of compound too ISI? I rather have a text based version. Outputting 0-x is just silly without docs or references of the mod.

3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

But don`t remove INTs :) I`m already working with them, and they are easier to manage in stats than STRINGS, because they can be array indices themselves.

UPD. Actually, don`t listen to me, I`ll adapt, strings or ints.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  4. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

I will be implementing the INTs too in simresults. Though I think I gona just report the numbers in results so people have to find out themself which compound it was in the mod (sort of BETA). It's a waste of time to write mod detection etc. ISI should just fix this.

Not saying INT's should be removed entirely. INT's are fine aslong they are the same on all mods. But I don't think that's possible so they either should:
    1. Add a list of tires in XML of the mod being raced, so we can map the int, or
    2. Just use a string value

A string value sounds the easiest to me :cool:

5. Nibo

Nibo Registered

List of strings with tire names in XML to map them to ints is good idea. Because, maybe outputting strings every lap for every car can add performance load. But list can be written only once on session start or on session finish.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think writing out the tyre compound string once a lap for each car is going to add much load.

Having said that, from a log analyser point of view it might be useful to have all the available compounds listed, perhaps along with some sort of characteristics values - wet vs dry, for example (the tbc has a 'wet' value, doesn't it?). Bearing in mind a race/session could involve multiple mods with various tyre compound upgrades, so you could end up with quite a list and need to make sure each vehicle (potentially on different runs, since a driver could leave and come back with different upgrades) has a reference to the appropriate list/section.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks.

8. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

I can't tell which one is the one you are calling your pit-out lap and flying lap and what you wanted to see. I expect that partial laps might be incorrect, to be honest you can't fly back to the pits in real life. But if it's also messing up the next lap, I can probably fix that.

It's impossible anyway, even if you get the string name. The Skip Barber, for example, has "Treaded" and "R1 Slick", the Formula Renault has a technical name "Dry RST3.5". Some cars from the past include "Run Flat" and "Bias-Ply". It's simply not universal, not everything follows an F1-like convention.

Still, I might convert these to a string name so you can at least relate them more easily to what you see in the UI.

9. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Sounds good Terence! Looking forward to any changes.