WIP Shelby Daytona Cobra (maybe)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by aidylad, Oct 17, 2013.

1. aidylad

aidylad Registered

I say maybe because I've never created a car for rf and have very little experience with 3ds max.

I had a little go at creating a track a few months ago and although I managed to get it into game I lost interest and gave up due to the amount of work involved and my lack of modding knowledge. I'm just hoping this project doesn't go the same way. At the moment all is going fairly well and have just managed to get the body into the spinner but I know I still have a lot to learn and god knows how much more work is involved to get the car in game and drive-able.

Here are some progress pics.

2. Miro

Miro Registered

Nice car choice, looks good already!

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

I have heard repeated times that a car is actually harder than a track, sorry if this is a kick below the belt, I hope it doesnt hurt your motivation again. I think you would do much better sharing the work load with someone that has the experience. I would really like to see this car in the game with quality physics, looks ace btw.

4. aidylad

aidylad Registered

Yeah I have a feeling it will be.

As for sharing the workload, I have thought about that but for now I want to see just how far I can get. I am enjoying the experience atm and also not in too much of a rush. Another problem is I'm not much of a petrol head and don't know that much about cars. When it came to choosing which car to model, I had no Idea till I found some good blueprints for the Daytona cobra. Now I'm in love with it. Plus the engine sounds awesome.

5. Radar

Radar Registered

Looks awesome, sounds awesome and your model for someone who has little 3Ds Max skills looks awesome..

Keep positive and before you know it, it will be complete..

6. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If you stick with this and succeed, your sense of personal accomplishment will be beyond words.
    Go for it!

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I agree with the guys... it`s looking really good, stick at it, I`d love to see how it comes out.

I`ve just got into 3D modeling with Blender and I`m on my first car (working through a tut) I`m loving it although finding quite a challenge too but also enjoying that challenge as it`s something I`ve been wanting to learn for a long time.

Keep at it aidylad.

:)

8. aidylad

aidylad Registered

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I may have told a very small fib when I said "very" little experience. The first time I tried my hand at modeling was for a game called Pirates of The Burning Sea created by flying lab software a few years ago. They were on a small budget and needed help from the community to model the 16th/17th century war ships. So I got myself a copy of Maya and off I went. Although it never made it into game I really enjoyed the learning experience.

But that was some time ago and 90% of what I learnt I've forgotten so I feel like I'm starting from scratch again. The good thing is, is there's multiple ways of solving modeling problems and there's plenty of resources freely available all over the net. The thing that separates the pro's from the noobs like myself is knowing which method will solve your problem in the most efficient way.

I would say to anyone that would like to be able to model like the pro's is if you think you have the patience and passion to model cars then go for it. There's plenty of people around here to help you on your way.

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This is going to be amazing. I can sense it.

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

When it comes to modelling alone, making cars is much more easier than tracks. But trying to get the car actually work rather realistically in rF2 is painfully hard. I don't want to scare, but people are tend to be pretty picky on how cars behave in this game.

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Having no idea what is required I am willing to help tweak things out. I know enough about real life physics and how FFB should react to hammer out the fine details as long as it is explained to me how to do said hammering.

12. aidylad

aidylad Registered

Yeah I think it will be best for me to accept peoples help. I have been offered help behind the scenes which I have accepted. Just waiting for conformation.

But while I wait I though I'd post a couple more WIP shots.

I've re-modeled the tyre and rims (roughly) along with a couple of other things.

Take no notice of the seats. I was just experimenting a little after following a youtube tut.

I will mention at this point that I need to work on reducing the polly count as they are starting to get out of hand. Also there are areas of the car that I'm not happy with. One being the mesh around the headlights. I couldn't figure out how to create a nice clean hole without applying a turbo smooth to that area so I'm hoping to get some advice on how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  13. philman

philman Registered

Any news?

14. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Ah.. A deserved bump..