Windshield dirt toggle

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitefors, Feb 21, 2021.

1. nitefors

nitefors Registered

I'm using VR, and I find the windshield dirt and fake dashboard reflection texture unrealistic, and annoying. Is anyone aware of a mod (I searched), or a setting, that would disable the dirt? I want clean glass / windshield. Thanks.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

What car? I don't think any I know of have dirt on them, they are all perfectly clean.

3. nitefors

nitefors Registered

You're right. I'm seeing it in some of the mod cars. Thanks for your reply.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

This game has inner windshield shading reversed for some reason. That's probably the reason why it looks wrong. Otherwise baked reflections, dirt, scratches, shadow receiving are all important immersion factors to me. But I hear frequently people liking idealistic stuff.

Hoshi and Filip like this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

I too would like that windshield is not perfectly clean.
    It doesn't have to be dirty but at least to appear as having depth, width.
    It seems to me low hanging fruit, not too hard to implement but lots of immersion points to gain.

Hoshi likes this.
  6. Hoshi

Hoshi Registered

+1
    Right now it's like playing LFS again, not the smallest bit of dirt on the windshield. A real immersion killer!
    It can't be that difficult to add a little dirt on the corresponding layer...

MiguelVallejo likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the main issue was being excessively lit at night (by other cars' headlights) or a low sun. Maybe when they sort out a good solution for that (and perhaps some light blocking from the car itself) they'll make it a "thing" again.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

They simply works in reverse, they should reverse shading for inner windshields or something like that and maybe it would fix the thing.

9. nitefors

nitefors Registered

I see your point. My gripe with a dirty glass texture is, in VR, it feels very unnatural. In a real car, even if you have a dirty windshield, your eyes are focused on objects in further distance. They naturally blur out the dirt right in front of you. Of course, there is still glare from the sun diffusing through a layer of dirt, but that's a different story.

10. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Isn't it a problem on a flat screen, rather than in VR? VR actually simulates the left and right eye being separately rendered. The halo it works with, so with dirt as well I guess