SOLVED Windows Home Server c. 2010?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by MileSeven, Jun 16, 2023.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I had a *quick* Google but couldn’t spot any specific information as to whether I can run the dedi on a Windows Home Server installation (I think it is the 2010 version)….?

Possibly looking at abandoning our expensive paid-for virtual server and hosting our regular races on a physical home machine - I have an HP micro server (dormant for a few years) which I could donate to the cause if it’s suitable (no idea what processor it has or how much memory…j

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. Brutten

Brutten Registered

For a dedicated server with few pilots (about 10-12) you don't need a big machine.

With an i5 and a good internet line is enough. At least in my case.

I give you the example of my server.

upload_2023-6-17_1-26-44.png

3. I had a testing dedicated server running a VMWare virtual machine with 4 CPUs and 4 GB RAM - it was able to run 10 KI and 10 real players; also the internet connection needs to be pretty stable if you want to avoid disconnects.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks. I've fired it up and managed to log in for the first time in years...

It turns out to be an AMD Turion II Neo 54L dual core 2.2GHz processor system with just 2GB of RAM. OS is Win Home Server 2011

It is quite painfully slow doing anything - I think it is really going to struggle...

5. Memory is the main problem; I do not know much about the CPU, but dedicated server will take up to 1.6GB of RAM ... additionally Windows and its processes I would say another 2GB.

6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks - I've ordered a memory upgrade to the heady heights of 8GB total - the max my machine will support. Only costs a couple of pounds and the machine *does* have some life in it even if it turns out not to be for rf2...

7. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Reuse, recycle and save the planet.

8. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

…25fps at a time, quite possibly! o_OWe’ll see….:D

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

See how you go, for a single server that CPU might well be enough. These days the RAM requirement is definitely a bit higher so you'll need that 8GB as above.

Be sure to install all the runtimes for rF2, server editions generally come with none. And only open up the ports you need, that OS is well past being supported/patched so you don't want to expose yourself to vulnerabilities.

DJCruicky likes this.
  10. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Well I got it running in the end! The MS redistributables were a major pain until I eventually stumbled over something @Lazza posted ages ago pointing specifically at the 2012 version…

I’ve just done a 5-lap race with 5 AI (3rd party tracks and cars) and it seemed fine - a coupe of lurches from the AI cars but acceptable. Will try to get a few real drivers together for a better test - and will be interested to see if the extra RAM makes a difference when it arrives.

11. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

We’ve had a couple of people try a 10AI race and report no significant problems - just one disconnect and good pings/framerate etc. Memory upgrade not yet installed either.

Power usage appears to be around 60W (using the rather crude method of a ‘smart’ mains power meter for the entire house rather than a device-specific pass through plug).

12. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

First tests with multiple non-AI and memory upgrade…

15AI (only tried one 3rd party car/track so far) has been fine - there’s usually a minor momentary lurch/freeze of the entire AI field during the first lap but nothing significant or problematic.

With no/modest AI and a handful of online players, no problems to report. CPU usage mid-race has been around the 20-25% level on the track we’ve tested and memory at just 3GB (so the upgrade was useful as we only had 2GB of physical RAM before).

Will test with tougher cars/tracks but for now it has been a success - it’s great that we seem to be able to run the server well on hardware that was pretty basic even when new 10+ years ago.

13. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It worked very well, thank you for setting it up.