Windows 2022 Server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ken Jagger, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

We do not use the rF2 GUI and in fact during further testing, we uninstalled Steam completely, so only the Dedicated Server is used.
    The sessions continue to run when they stop showing in both Steam Game Server List and rF2 Community Servers. Oddly if we then connect to the WIN2022 server via RDA as normal, they reappear in both server lists.

We have upto 5 rF2 servers running at any time using the Player, Player2, Player3 etc. option on the one Dedicated Server installation.

2. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

Exactly how we have run our servers for many years.

3. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

A suggestion has been made to check whether our Host is using Port Triggering or Port Forwarding, which we are waiting for a reply on.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Ken Jagger I think it's much less obvious in this thread than from what you said on discord, that this appears to be related to the host rather than the windows edition. Did you even say you'd tried 2016 without success? Or might that have been someone else?

Just clarifying for the benefit of anyone only viewing this thread.

5. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi Lazza, Yes, I made one of the posts on Discord as Ken and I are both admins for the league,& yes we just tried W16 and we have the same issue, It shows up until idol for a while then it's gone from Steam, and in game but reachable threw the 3rd party sites../ We put in a ticket to the provider to ask if they are using Port triggering vrs port forwarding as suggested that might be the culprit..

we would like to invite you, DanRZ or even Coutie (if he's not knee-deep in LMU) to log onto our server & have a look to be sure we're not missing something ..

6. trichens

trichens Registered

On a related but different question... do you have a "noddy" guide for idiots on running an rF2 server using Windows Services rather than a GUI?
    I'm using W10 Pro systems at the moment. A"better" way would be of interest.

7. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

The problem turned out to be due to rF2 Dedicated Server ports which also needed opening in a secondary firewall (not Windows Server default firewall) used in the software package provided by our new server Hosts.

DanRZ likes this.