Windowed Mode??

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Easton, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Easton

Easton Registered

Windowed mode not working on Demo. Trying to use extended display and game will not start in windowed mode. I can move the launcher but not the game to the second screen.
    Any help would be nice. Thanks

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have used "Fullscreen" windowed mode in rF2 since Build45

Did a few posts 2 years back just how well it worked ! .......never got a single " hey ! you right DD ! " lol

It is the only way to run it imho.

rF2 works better then any sim I have ever windowed.

It is seamless, fast multitask, no crashes, no freezes or lockups.

It really was a revelation for me, any other sim's windowed performance up to that point had been atrocious.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I've had always problems running rF2 in windowed mode until I figured out you have to disable Windows aero to eliminate the stuttering.

4. Easton

Easton Registered

I have no clue what you guys are talking about lol.
    Just have to work around it I guess.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1. I have single 24" 1920x1080@60Hz monitor ( I do not know if this works multi-screen or anything else )

2. I set rF2 Config to 1920x1080 and windowed mode.

3. When in rF2 it does not have a windows border, it runs, performs and behaves identical to full screen mode on my system.

I do not get mini lag or stutter or anything else commonly associated with running windowed modes, running rF2 multi-task is virtually flawless for me.

At least it is with my specs, OS, drivers and setup combination......... I do not suggest for one second it will be the same for everyone okay.

3. If I want to do something I just press the windows key, my start-bar and task-bar appear and stay focused, I can put anything on top of my rF2 room , 4 /5 windows if I like.

When I want rF2 back I just click Drive ( car) or click the windows key again.

4. No other sim ( from 10 I I run anyways ) do this anywhere near as well, not even close.

Some sims won't even use the windows key, others pause and have frozen audio, some just get laggy after you do it a number of times, most all have a drop in smoothness in desktop associated with them.

Another thing I like with rF2 the window is fixed , you can't accidentally move it like you can in full screen windowed GTR GTL, etc

I can even run another sim in a window on top of a rF2 room I am in ! I just can't do that with another sim it will crash out .........

Anyway for mine rF2 is unique and if it works for you and you are a big multi-tasker or like tools on top of your room, well, you should be using it imho.

I have tested FPS and performance with and without full screen window , Fraps tests everything, rF2 runs identical to full screen for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This is how I use my RF2

In that multi-task work I had my car idling happily in background , works the same in any size room. :)

No coughs or splutters lol

View attachment 12270

7. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

It does. Just like you told in build 49 BC, i change to windowed mode and instead using alt+tab, just that windows key. Everything fine, no stutters, no windows border BUT it has an security issue. I was about to start a thread to warn ISI about that but i forgot.

When you hit the window key to do whatever you want, all things you type out rf2 software goes to server chat box. Sometimes could be fun, like when someone on server mentioned "kush" and when i went to google and type "kush" but my browser was acting funny and did not the search and i keep typing "kush" until got response from google. When i came back to server, at least 3 times showing in chat box:
    SLH: kush
    people talking, people talking....
    SLH: Kush
    people talking people talking...
    SLH: Kush
    people laughing

Another time when you was out, i logged on this forum and when i got back my username here and password was typed in your room. Luckly there is only you in the server and this is not a particularly sensitive info, but it could be...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  8. Easton

Easton Registered

Ok I understand what you are saying now and that works for me too. I'm using the extended display option that I drag the game window to the second monitor. I can't move rf2 to the second larger monitor leaving the first monitor open to do what ever I want to is what I'm saying.

Thanks for your help:)

9. Easton

Easton Registered

Well that's not good. We must have posted at the same time because I didn't see yours until I went back into the thread.

10. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

If you can reproduce in your system, feel free to open a thread if you want to warn ISI

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Funny, a mate of mine had the exact same thing in rf1. he would chat all kinds of random stuff and I watched it do it whilst he was not doing anything himself.

We never found out why it happened.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Chippy ! lopl

That is true but you would have to be a bit of a nut eater hey. lopl ..... ;)

Bet way is click the rfactor2 menu anywhere but chat window before you put anything "on top" of rF2 room, like chat room, forum or log in.

Equally when you go back to rFactor2 make sure any open windows still up do not have the cursor in a message box.

If you Black Sabbath ( paranoid p ) you can use mouse cursor tools to control all that, make it even more complicated. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
  13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Pick the right display in rfconfig and rf will launch there.