willowsprings wip

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Banger, May 3, 2013.

1. Banger

Banger Registered

unreleased version of Willowsprings made for rf1. But kind of left it half done, need a few bits added , little buildings and all that,fences..bit bmore terrain,black areas are just place markers,and the white area (block) also....

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  2. Banger

Banger Registered

need a expert here, i want to increase the number of track widths polys .(erm i think), from 4 width to 12 width polys. any tutorials on that.has btb only does 4 nodes widths across has standard,.in 3ds max please.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Use max's "Connect" tool.

In Editable Poly/Edge, select edges and apply connect with appropriate parameters.

View attachment 7568

Cheers!

4. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks jka.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Judging from the screens you want to increase the polygons lengthwise too, it would be nice if the polygons were near a square shape :)

6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yes, looks like more polys is needed lengthwise too. It can be done same way with "connect" (just select other edges).

Cheers!

7. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Using a connect isn't really the right way to go there, as you still have the same edges, you'd have to smooth those out.

8. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks All,

just notice a problem with the edges that they are poly filled , not quads in BTB. so you get a triangle effected.which seems to up set the mapping.? has jka pictures is squared off, mine is polyed off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
  9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Every polygon is made up of triangles, that is how 3d graphics work. By default those edges are hidden in 3dsmax. Having them there or not doesn't influence the mapping on something since they only connect two points together. It is the points decide how the mapping will be, not the edges. Might be that the smoothing messed up your mapping.

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

There are "de-triangulate" scripts (3ds max scripts) floating around the net, which might be helpful here. I think mianiak points some of them in "Modding Help/Track Modding" section.

Cheers!

11. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

If he was using max he probably didn't have issues like these in the first place ;)

12. Banger

Banger Registered

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Do yourself a favor and keep that up in 3dsmax then ;)

14. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

You can also create a spline from outer edges then use cross section tool (remember to set opposite vertices as first by using "make first" tool, you have to select one vertex from each spline) and surface modifier (and convert to poly at the end). You will get quads as a result so you will be able to increase poly count later very easily.

Thanks to that you will be able to control mesh density but also to do some corrections to elevation, banking (if needed) and so on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
  15. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I dont know if any good but a good way to create a track is with the loft tool in 3d Max, make the track path with a spline (like a top view of the track) then make a line wich be your track surface (like a transversal view), go to tab create, select the tracks layout made with a spline, select compound objets, loft, go to modify, get shape, select the spline wich be the track surface, subselect shape, adjust the shape of track spline to get it in the right way (scale, rotate), to adjust the "tracks" thicknes etc. go to loft, skin parameters in shape steps and patch steps you have the number of interpolations.
    Try it, you figurate fast how do it, if not just ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHjK1Y4nY0A

16. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks pay2021 & feels3, I try that and all the lofting went like it had 1 meter bank on one side, I using the trackmaker pro at the moment,which seems a lot easy the searching the masses of 3d max menus/submenus.:), no problems with the track on that side, just BTB conversions seem to cause the realroad to not look good.

17. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I didn't notice that you don't use 3ds max ;)

18. Banger

Banger Registered

I do use 3ds maxs, just not an experted with it.:) that why I using track maker pro.i also use BTB for rF1,and simed3,but until i fully understand the bits & pieces, i not going to jump the bandwagon and release tracks with 3ds max.

<-what you think of my hair avatar:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
  19. Banger

Banger Registered

yes I removed all the BTB planes to make skidmarks,patches out!! of track.and using uwv map instead.poly count increased on road surface. need slight modify of Omega corner.

fixes:
    *omega corner : needs smoothing
    * patches from btb removed
    * omega building placement
    * a few outside Walls need placing
    * Toyota building needs placing/ along with Fire buildings
    * pits lane needs a work. straightening lines, adding buildings.
    * Ai needs a new pit in/pit exit strategy :)
    * garages/pit postion need realigning

done:
    AI are running smoothly on race,

20. Banger

Banger Registered

started afresh :) with 3drouter Smoother

[​IMG]