Williams JPH1B FIA F2 v1.41 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I think part of the problem is that forces are so high and generally different in real life, that this low caster thing isn't as weird to real life drivers as it is to simmers, and even more so to the simmers who use pretty low ffb.

So if we had the proper equipment, or at least a T500, if not a FREX/ARC/ECCI/BODNAR etc wheel, would the low caster and weirdness feeling then be much more spot on? I think so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

yep!:p haha was already sleepy there

3. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

It's a both issue. There is very few pieces of hardware out there that can properly replicate the forces, and a T500 isn't one of those, even though it's the strongest mass produced wheel. I can't blame them, they aren't wrong, but it doesn't work as well in application as in theory. A real wheel won't "clip" like our FFB wheels do - any of them. Even a Bodnar wheel will clip, but it is so strong you can set it up "weak" and still get a ton of actual force.

Want proof? Crank up the car multiplier to 2 or 3. At low speed now the car feels great, you can feel the wheel. Except now when you get to a high speed corner it's just weight training. (lol)

If you want a wheel that properly delivers the correct forces, you are looking at a high end custom piece, not something you can walk into a store and buy.

Need to check the FR3.5, FISI and Marussia casters and compare them to the Vette / Megane / GTR, but I think it's the caster just exacerbating the issue.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If anyone runs 2 or 3 multiplier I try to ignore any comments they make on FFB. ffs the FISI clips like hell at Silverstone with the ffb mult on 1.0(default)

Use the pedal overlay to set ffb to prevent excessive clipping and get used to it. Don't hold the wheel so tight. :)

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I don't even know what clipping means :p

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

When there is a limit set for a value... take length of an object for example and you have an object that does not fit because it is too long, so instead of shrinking it, you chop it to desired length. That what basically clipping does to FF forces :)
    If that would be a wooden desk, nobody would care as it is rather homogenous throughout its length (so by cutting it to desired length you won't loose anything important)... but imagine a graphics card is too long to fit your case... do you really would like to cut off some of it and probably loose some of its functionality? ;) Better would be to shrink it (keep intact, but make it smaller as a whole)... or buy a bigger case, to aviod any risk of clipping :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  7. speed1

speed1 Banned

This car is very odd on the wheel. The model is nice and the performance is good but it feels very odd. I don't like it with the T500RS. As soon as the longitudinal axis orientation changes in the angle the feeling starts to be strange. Feels like a tire of full rubber sliding and scratching while cornering. :rolleyes:

8. Flex

Flex Registered

In the first version of the mod it said in notes "Overboost is disabled until proper rules are implemented.",and still no change in the update, a reason for this?

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I know what you mean, but many of us are trying to have more resistance so we can feel the contact patch better, but that just ends up being too much when there is actual FFB effects.

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

11. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

I know more than plenty about FFB clipping, the first thing I did was search for the monitor. If you've been reading this thread I've already explained it. On my system, 2 - 3 on the multiplier with the F2 yields a result of about 60-70% force in medium speed corners. The FISI has nothing to do with anything in this thread other than demonstration of the same type of behavior. Different cars have different FFB settings, that is why it is CAR dependent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96pEg6QxM88

I explain it in that video if you are interested in watching, it's a bit easier to see a visual demonstration than read it.

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Spinelli/Emptybox

I've stated this theory a while ago as well. Although sims are evolving, commercial available wheels are still stuck in their overpriced and weak ways. The first time fondling a servo wheel is an eye opener for everyone who tries it, I guarantee, everything else will feel like a toy. Furthermore, the forces which rF2 cars put out can be very high and dynamic but if week commercial wheels can only use 2% of the entire range, the result will be bland and feel off anyway.

People are working on DIY servowheels and hopefully once that becomes more common, there will be a shift towards these solutions, or, a company will see its merits and go that route providing an affordable servo wheel. Affordable in this case would be at the 1000 to 1200 euros range.

13. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day Tim,

Any chance for a response? I have also carried out a fresh install of build 240 however this did not fix the issue...

Cheers

mm

14. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I worded my post badly and went off topic. I actually agree with your posts :)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Old problem that I cant remember the answer to:

What's the line in the controller .Jaon file that effects the strengthening of the ffb whilst at speed in high downforce cars ????

Sone cars feel great but others like this one feel completely off for reasons I don't know

Last edited: May 22, 2017