Will Tyre Wear For BTCC Cars Ever Be Fixed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JordieDAFC, Jul 17, 2023.

1. JordieDAFC

JordieDAFC Registered

Are there any plans for tyre wear on BTCC cars to be revisited and even adjusted to closer match real life?

Currently the FWD cars absolutely chew the front tyres up compared to the RWD cars which suffer minimal wear and have a massive pace advantage because of this to the point where there is no point in choosing to use FWD because of the pace difference.

I know naturally FWD will suffer more wear on the front tyres, but if you watch real BTCC racing, the RWD cars have a very minimal advantage compared to what we have in RF2. Thruxton in real life is dominated by FWD, yet in the game, because of tyre wear, a RWD car will win easily.

Its great content, but the tyre wear situation is killing it

2. Mordorsport Max

Mordorsport Max Registered

Is there anyone with some Motec-Files of few laps in a BTCC FWD and a RWD. Just to get some concrete value's of these problem.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Is this the case in all online multiplayer races ? Naturally consequences of loosing control is less severe in FWD cars, thus tires might get abused more. Another factor could be setups that don't cause FWD cars to yaw more (more slip at the rear), but then you may find them a bit more difficult to drive, but with payoff of more equal tire wear. I don't believe the tires themselves could be different.

4. JordieDAFC

JordieDAFC Registered

Would be good to put numbers to it - Not sure how to do that myself!

This is coming from racing in the LFM BTCC - By the end of some races the FWD cars have 60% tyre life left whilst the RWD cars can be up in the 80% range. Everyone is having the same problem with the rate of wear and I'm sure we've got a bit of diversity in our setups. I've tried a looser rear and a more planted rear, a softer car, firmer car and its been the same outcome. I'm sure if you upped tyre pressures it would help, but that's also throwing a lot of time away!

I'm certain there's something not right because you can thrash the RWD all race long with very little drop off, yet the FWD you can be as careful as you want yet you'll still wreck the tyres through medium/highspeed corners

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think it has been said several times. It depends on your driving style. The front wheels are used to accelerate, brake and turn. It's no surprise you have to be more careful. You can change your driving or just change to a RWD car.

Yes, you know this, and you think you drive like a pro. Some assumption must be wrong.

Would you share a video?

6. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I think FWD suffering from more tyre wear is natural , to what extent that is interesting.
    If its wrong i hope they change it but i would hate if change came because people demanded it.
    maybe IRL BoP for FWD is better ? less weight , more power , more downforce at front (lower ride height) ....etc, hence they could keep rwd at bay despite having tyre wear.

7. Mordorsport Max

This should look something like this. The "Tyre speed wear in %/s" in relation to the "Slipangle in degree".

upload_2023-7-17_23-20-32.png

The Tyre wear increases very drastic at around 2* Slipangle.
    At 6* Slipangle you lose 0,30 %/s of your tyre-health!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    azaris and Kahel like this.
  8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Could it be that FWD cars are more likely to suffer from excessive drive-tire wear due to over-driving them (wheel-spin during acceleration)? It seems more difficult to judge wheel-spin with FWD cars on corner exit.

memoNo1 and Bernat like this.
  9. Mordorsport Max

Could be. I got non FWD. Maybe i should invest so money, because it is an interessting topic.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There is no way FWD won't chew tires way more than RWD. Especially soft compounds. But how much is too much, to answer properly data would be required. My bet would be, that rF2 does it correctly, the only thing that could skew it could be that IRL FWD may be running higher pressures. And I think it is safe to make an assumption that simracers are less skilled at racing FWD cars too.

memoNo1, atomed, vava74 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mordorsport Max

I think the same. And that is also what I see in the workshop. If we change tires, we will put front tires on the rear suspension...to get a eaven tire wear. That is just a feeling, but I think that RWD's got less tire wear, but I got no evidence for that! It is only the impression on what I get hands on in the workshop.

Good idea to get reall data! I trieing to get some since ....dont know...for a long time. Even in books for university-students you get very rare Information. Pretty funny...In the book "The Racing & High-Performance Tire" of Paul Haney... he got lots of quotes of "The X-Files". I always thought these fit pretty well.

So I bought my first FWD, the Cupra of the BTCC and Brands Hatch. I will take closer look at the tire wear with Motec.

memoNo1 likes this.
  12. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

well, there was an update to the BTCC, but to increase tire wear on all cars.
    Setup and driving style plays a big role on tire degradation. I personally don't think its excessive the way it is right now. Try not to abuse throttle and steering imput, and use Lazza DAM plugin to check your setup.
    I'm using FWD and getting similar times to the RWD cars.

TJones likes this.
  13. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

Here it is.
    https://we.tl/t-3dCZ2Apgma

Full race with Ford and BMW

14. Mordorsport Max

Ahh.. hey Adolfo!

So it seems like they lowered the tyre wear since the last update.
    Green Formula Pro
    Orange BMW BTCC
    White Ford BTCC
    upload_2023-8-16_13-21-16.png

15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I would like to be able to understand that logic.

16. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

That would be my fault. It's because both motec files I send were from before the update, stupid me chose the files filtering by quickest laptimes [facepalm].
    Also, he is comparing BTCC (orange and white, smaller slope) with formula pro (green, higher slope) so i wouldnt expect them to have similar wear since they use different tires.

They (s397) did say that tire wear was increased at the update and thats exactly what I felt on track, but If you really want to compare before and after, I reuploaded the motec files, same car, same track, a race from 08.09.23 and a race from 08.13.23
    https://we.tl/t-209HqUwQEp

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yes, FWD vehicles are a thing of their own.
    When entering a corner, several things happen at once in a fraction of a second.
    We have the engine on the front axle, we brake on the front axle, the weight dips forward, at the same time we steer in and accelerate again.
    All this happens on the front axle.
    Actually, a FWD is an instrument of torture for a car.
    When you brake into a corner, let's say you brake 50% of the way into the corner, with 30% steering input, we have a remaining 20% grip level to accelerate out of the apex.
    And if you already give 1% more input to the pedals, you have overstimulated the grip level.
    I think FWD is most difficult to master on corner entry.
    Because the front tyre is loaded the most in this phase.
    A FWD demands much more sensitivity, that's where the art lies.
    I love and hate FWD at the same time for its strange driving feel.
    An exceptional case is the GSI from T78.
    Low weight (800 KG) and vehicle length give the vehicle a very direct handling.
    Hard to master the little beast.
    But it is fun.