Will rF2 have contrails?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In wet or humid & hot conditions high downforce open wheelers' rear wings will make contrails. You can see it in any Indycar oval race where it's humid and in the F1 race at Interlagos this weekend you could see it. Will rf2 by any chance have this? Yes, it's just graphical but it'd be a cool effect anyway.

Check out the #3 car rear wing

View attachment 4823

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I suspect this wouldn't be that difficult. Right conditions, right speed, and it could switch on. There's a few effects already using this type of code, like the heat haze.

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

A nice to have but adds very little especially when it only occurs under very specific conditions. I'd rather have wet weather spray before any other graphical 'add-ons', as spray actually effects how you drive.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yes, this is a minor thing about which I am curious. It'd be cool but other things are obviously more important. Watching the F1 finale made me think of this- there were lots of contrails.

And there's a reason both can't be done, Playlife? I'm not sure why people come into threads and just crap on them.

5. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Because of time constraints - time is always an issue. If you look at the wish list sub-forum you can see how many features are requested (or better wished for). Many of those are more important than this minor graphical effect (even if it is cool and all). Many of those features won't make it into rf2, probably even if it was released in 2020 there wouldn't be enough time to implement all those features.

6. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

This annoys me too. It is like a cult of pessimism - I MUST comment on it negatively. Nothing personal Playlife. I suspect I may even be guilty too. But damn it is both unhelpful and unrealistic - and everyone insists on doing it.

7. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

We know full well that this game will be developed long past Gold, so what's the harm in asking for stuff like this? After all it's not like ISI are going to shout "Hold the front page, stop everything, we must code Contrails!) No it will go on the long list of possible tweaks to be done as and when.

As Tim has already said it doesn't sound like a big job, it sounds to me like it may make it's way in down the line...good call Guy.

8. osella

osella Registered

Calm down nand and Guy (and Kor).. all playlife says there are more important issues *NOW*, he's not saying it shouldn't ever be done.

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Thank-you osella.

If people actually read my post properly. I said it adds little and is a nice to have. Negative would be ''this is rubbish, don't want it and don't need it'' which is obviously not what I said.

The reason I mentioned spray is because it should by rights actually have very similar effects as contrails, follow the contours of the rear wing (added to the spray which is kicked up by the tyres). If you look at a Formula 1 car in the rain (more obvious when heavy, for instance Sepang 2009), you can see the water vortices behind the car formed due to the rear wing and diffuser.

Implement spray and contrails would be an easy add-on from that (I'd think).

There was a thread a few weeks back about spray. It was mentioned by Tim that although appearing in a pre-beta release video, changes to RealRoad IIRC meant it 'went away'.

Back to contrails. We do vortex trail simulation on FA/18s front stabilisers due to their effect on structural integrity of vertical tailplane and it's a bitch to do as you can imagine. I assume you'd just want a canned effect with size of trail determined by airspeed and wing angle or perhaps just the former for simplicity.

So in conclusion, if you didn't all jump to conclusions and read more into a comment than what their actually is, it would be much better for all. Read the words without any emotion attached and you'll probably get a different understanding, possibly the one that was meant.

Problem partly is that there is a lot of rubbish being flung around here with misinformation and reasoning by analogy classifying according to superficial observation rather empirical evidence that it's difficult to differentiate if a person is genuine or not.

Perhaps read my previous posts and you'll see I don't d1ck around and talk tripe.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
  10. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

All? Sorry if you thought I was having a go, I wasn't, just putting down my thoughts on the general tone of the thread. I sure have no need to calm down, just chewing the fat as we do. ;)

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I didn't request this feature. I asked if it was planned.

12. osella

osella Registered

But you said "And there's a reason both can't be done, Playlife? I'm not sure why people come into threads and just crap on them."

When Playlife didn't come to this thread to crap on it, he merely stated he would wish other features be completed sooner than this feature. That's all :)