Wierd lagging

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by arneschoonvliet, Apr 21, 2014.

1. arneschoonvliet

arneschoonvliet Registered

Hi

I have a problem with rFactor2. I realy like the game and the experience of sim racing but I got this strange lag now en then. When I'm racing online and offline I get this wierd lag, my car slows down but it has the same speed. I can still shift and brake but it all goes in slow motion. Watch the video that's provided. The first part is me driving in the civic in the official isi server. I'm just flooring it up to the next braking zone and then the lag occurs. I was leading the race with about 1.5 - 2 seconds and the guy behind me saw it too late and crashed in to me. The second part is at the start of a race, this time I'm driving the megane. You can se that I get off the line quite good but then I get this lag again and a big crash as result.

I'm sure it isn't a hardware fault of my laptop. When the lag occurs I watched my frame rates and they stay stable the don't drop to some very low number (stable around 50 - 60 fps).
    specs of my laptop
    i5 4200u
    HD4400 (integrated graphics I know)
    6gb RAM

I'm running everything at the lowest settings. Just my resolution is 1240x720. I'm sure it isn't a hardware problem. Internet also isn't a problem. I have 30MBit download and about 4 - 5 MBit upload speed.

Can someone say what the problem is and also give the solution for this. I have it almost every race or practice run I do.

Sorry for my english, I'm doing the best I can ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdgPjRujnYA

2. gkz

gkz Registered

I dont have any solution for this yet, but I can report that 2 systems here (i5 2500K/770GTX and PhenomII X4/560Ti) have the same issue since the latest builds. We drive on LAN against AI. Silverstone has 2 or 3 spots where this warping happens. Whats weird that it seems to depend on the car. For example we drove RMT's MeganeTrophy and it was pretty heavy, with ISI's 370Z the cars moved very fluid.

3. MJP

MJP Registered

Have either of you checked the cpu/gpu utilisation graph (CTRL+C by default) to see what the purple bar and spikes on the histogram below it are doing when you get these lags?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

When the purple bar gets something over 90%, the simulation may fall out of realtime temporarily, which leads to those slowdowns.

5. arneschoonvliet

Okay I will look to that. Then when this is the problem, what is the solution for this problem?

edit
    I checked it and when the lag occurs the purple bar is maxed out :( any solutions?

edit2
    found a solution: Some older force feedback drivers cannot handle rFactor2′s high-fidelity update rate and in fact make the simulation fall out-of-realtime (you’ll notice if things get jerky and slow and the purple bar on the CPU Time graph goes to 100%). There are two possible fixes: 1) get updated drivers from your hardware manufacturer (recommended), or 2) open up controller.ini and set “Skip Updates” to a non-zero value. Note that the presets for new Thrustmaster wheels include the second fix in case users haven’t updated their drivers. Again, we recommend updating the drivers and setting “Skip Updates” back to 0.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I have exactly the same problem. Gonna try your solution out today. Didn't you say on the BTCC server that it didn't work in the end?

7. arneschoonvliet

It was late in the evening so I couldn't test it further. With half of the refresh time the wheel driver was still to slow. This evening I will test one third en further down, I hope to see some improvement.

8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I had this problem in my old laptot when my main PC was destroyed (that laptop was able to manage graphics at low/medium, and in theory CPU was good, an i5), only thing I could do is to remove the CPU limit It has by default, but the result was a VERY hot laptop so I stopped play since a got a new PC.

In you case I have no idea what can be the issue, but for me "skip updates" did nothing, but check CPU power management, and CPU usage while slowdowns happens.