Why is VR so bad?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by moonm8trx, Aug 2, 2017.

1. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

It's getting better but why is it so twitchy and the graphics have to be at minimum? I can run every other Sim fine but this one (my favourite) is almost unplayable. The scale is also really weird. Everything feels small. Am I doing something wrong is it just where we're at for now?

2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

What PC specs do you have? Also remember this sim was taken over and wasnt coded ground up with latest gfx tech so depending on your specs it can be quite heavy.

3. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

i7 3770k over clocked at 4.2ghz, 1080, 16 gb ram ddr3, ssd

4. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

IMHO I would have to say that it is the Rift that is the reason behind the poor VR showing. Despite how wonderful it is to experience the view inside the car of VR, the clarity inside VR is not ready for race sims at least. :(

5. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Couldn't disagree more. It's absolutely fine in iRacing and AC. Maybe you need to boost super sampling? I know by.default the resolution kinda sucks but at 1.5 and up its fine.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Somethings amiss, there's a handful of people commenting on the Scale being incorrect but not many, plus with your specs you should be able to run most settings on Full I should think.
    Do the usual:
    Verify RF2 files
    Verify SteamVR (just in case)
    Turn off any Plug-Ins in case one of them is causing your issue
    Run with S397 content (car & track) only for testing purposes

7. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

Sorry but that is all double dutch to me, I am not a ______ engineer, just a dumb consumer, this shit ought to be setup from the beginning or at least have clear guidelines on how to do it. With someone else's help I did change the super-sampling but it barely helps at all.

My ire is not directed at you moon' but for me VR is terrible in rF2 and AC. I don't do i stuff.

I did do all the usual, MarcG.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Then that's likely the device itself that is the problem. AC spent years working on their VR implementation, so if it's not good, then I don't think rF2 will ever be good either. New generation VR devices with closer to 4K resolution and techniques like having more pixel density in center than periphery are available in 2018 I guess. What people do now is boost the super sampling, but I don't think it will correct the pixelated horizon 100%.

9. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

@stonec funnily enough, rF2 has been better than AC in VR. The best I've seen it was with the USF2000 at N-something, can't remember (the airfield track recently added)
    Got a good suggestion for trying AC?

10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

11. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

Thanks for the tip. It cleared the folders and it's a little better now. However now my wheel rotation doesn't match my wheel anymore...Man I want to love rFactor 2 so much but there is ALWAYS something wrong :(

12. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

I need to eat humble pie to a degree and happy to do so. With the help of an on-line friend yesterday I managed to get Assetto Corsa set up to a point that I can now play in VR for hours at a time. :D The trick was basically to reduce quality until I could hit a nice steady 90 FPS. I now find that I am getting used to the graphical ?quality? and as long as I don't sight see and maintain focus on my patch of tarmac ahead then I can happily drive in comfort and awe. :p So my next task will be to do a similar job with rF2 and see if I can achieve a similar workability.

rixracer likes this.
  13. moonm8trx

moonm8trx Registered

I have yet another issue I'm noticing. I thought the sound in rFactor2 was just bad but after watching videos on youtube, I realize that it sounds really good on others' system. Is this a VR issue for now? My engine sounds are weak and sound far away. Again, sounds work perfectly in every other sim.