Why is this not considered fixed/changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xracer99, Sep 23, 2022.

1. xracer99

xracer99 Registered

I bought rf2 when it came out and i like it alot and its a regular for me to play, but less than often cause of issues with it. But there are a couple of things with it which i dont really in any kind of way, understand why its not included. I do understand there are issues which is difficult to track down, and also some which is alot of work to include, but here are my thoughts. Why is it so difficult to understand for team, that the system with mods when used on let say dedicated servers, that there is a total need for a larger description field for hosted races? I mean when i connect to a session, 50% of the time the session reject me cause of not having one or more parts of the mod installed or correct version. Why cant they implement at least a hintbox which ppl can write in what parts is needed to join including versions of the parts? The problem gets even bigger when the reject also leave leftovers in the contents directories which needs to be cleaned up manually to make it even work again. This is a hopeless system. Then ppl say rf2 is not meant to be used by regular players. Need to be a fiddler to play rf2 in that everything needs to be made as difficult as possible to get it going. I mean, i know how to get through the processes to make it work, but its a hell of waste of time. There is not enough space in the standard description field for writing things needed for operating a mod based system. It doesnt matter if they want to prioritize other fixes to rf2. What i mentioned above is almost as important as a startbutton for the launch of the sim and should be almost on top of the list for changes. This is backed by the fact that rf2's main segment these days, is custom sessions. The way it is today it is almost impossible to use unless in a private league where everyone knows beforehand what should be included. I have bought most contents for rf2, but this annoys the hell out of me. Is there anyone who know any workarounds to deal with this issue? I mean you go into the serverlist and pick a session which look totally fine to join, then you get rejected 50% or more cause of this BS. In other words joining a MP session is more difficult than winning in Lotto. Is this how a sim should be presented? What about the automatic link between the Logotech driver and rf2 in which rf2 automatically loads the program, and it messes up the whole process for most ppl with rf2 hanging after its closed and only discovered back in Steam? Why not just unlink them as all other mediocre or better sims do and make ppl start them manually?

Binny likes this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On the Logitech, I don't think the game loads the software itself. Obviously there is some link, and it might be the way rF2 initializes/enumerates the controllers, but I think the Logitech software is registered within windows so when the game says "I want to talk to this wheel" windows then loads up the software in response. Unfortunately, as you know, the game then doesn't close it at the end (and can't, really, because it didn't actually start it) but windows associates it with the game, so then it becomes part of rF2 "still running".

It may be fixable (I don't know) but I don't think it's as simple as it may seem. I wouldn't assume so anyway.

On server content, ... yeah. Many potential improvements there. All content has a hash, so wouldn't appear a huge stretch to have a tick indicating you have all the content used on the server (it's only a small amount of data to download and compare). Workshop items could potentially be recognised as such and automatically download from steam (I don't want to gloss over potential difficulties with this, but it would appear possible to do), and non-workshop items could be much easier to set up for download from third-party sites.
    All of this could also be clearly presented to the user, with an indication you're missing content, a list that shows what's missing and how big it is, and (come on!) a list of all content in use on the server - i.e. the cars and tracks currently running and in the rotation that you'll need to have. Oh, and show any download progress with the ability to cancel :rolleyes:

With what we have: to be fair most servers aren't worth trying because no one is on them. Some are named clearly enough to search for their website and get info. Or search the forum online racing section.

CS can be a decent option to "just race", providing there's a race coming up and you don't have an issue.

Binny likes this.
  3. xracer99

xracer99 Registered

Thanks alot for the thorough reply! I agree alot on what i get from your response. I dont have enough technical knowhow on these matters, but i find it strange that their not making it easier for potential players. If they absolutely need to use a hacked in stone template for the serverlist coloumns size etc. well then there is nothing much to say or do about it... All i think can help to at least make hosting players be able to specify their mod content details in the list, then at least it will be up to them to do that. I know rf2 has some old designelements in it which may be difficult to change, but i start to just feel the devs have decided that this sim is not gonna be up there among the most used. Its a shame, since it has a great physics model and feel to it.

4. First of all ... would be nice to hit the enter key between sentences / lines ;-) I would make it easier to follow.

Some or most of your points have been discussed before and a couple of times - there are several workarounds which may not been mentioned or the tools itself have been updated with new functions so they are not known.

In order to check out missing content you could use modmgr.exe which can be found in rfactor 2\bin64 folder. If you start it for the very first time you need to configure rfactor2 directory and packages directory (lower right corner) - just press the button with the "b" and choose the directory.

After that hit "refresh" - upper right corner.

It will take a few seconds then you will be able to see what content is installed - while clicking on "installed" column content will be sorted ... and you can sort to "no" (not installed).

You will see the mods which are installed, too - and if there is a mod which cannot be installed bevause of missing content just mark the line with mod in the table and have a look at the message box in the right lower corner of modmgr.exe ... it will point out what is missing and what version of.

pkelly likes this.