Why are there so few drivers on rFactor2 servers?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by HuntTheShunt, Dec 15, 2013.

1. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

I have just done a quick count of drivers on rFactor2 servers and there was only 1 with more than 6 drivers.
    At the same time of day there were 30 rFactor1 servers with 6 or many more! (it was mid day UK time but you get the idea)

2. Booitz

Booitz Registered

im new to rfactor 2 after having a few years break from sim racing,got the game 4 days ago and i have to say im very disapointed,its hard to find a server with people in and when i do i cant join,im starting to think ive thrown away £30 buying this!!

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Because you get asked to download a bunch of random stuff when you want to race with people and now my Online portion is greyed-out anyway.

4. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

i experience 30 drivers on silverstone. it was madness (players -me included - and game)

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

That's easy. It's because they are driving offline. :p

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am guessing this is due to leagues not being ready to move to rF2 yet. Most active rF1 servers are league servers that are locked. Once we get a really stable build and large changes settle down and builds are farther apart, I am sure leagues will start making the move. Then you will start seeing the drive counts going up... but just like in rF1, they will mostly be on locked league servers.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's a good point too. rF1's AI was not worth racing and hot lapping gets old after a while. At least rF2 is fun to run offline.

8. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Sorry but i have to dissagre. We run championships for some months now, grids +20 drivers each week. Of course RF2 is not on RF1 level now. We look to our country and we are the only ones promoting RF2 leagues. But RF2 is capable to provide a good league at present moment. Some bugs, not many, but nice races and an immersive sim.

All people on this "world" knows what public servers mean. You go and get knocked out on first corner by some kid who dont know what a simulator is. When you´re in a league everybody knows you and you are carefull. On public servers if you wanna go backwards no one knows who you are....
    Most of people who buy rfactor 2 are people who simulate for some years now and they only race in private leagues and not on public servers.
    There are thousands of rf1 leagues and some of rf2 where everybody can join freely instead of looking to server list trying to find some action.
    My sugestion? Go Google a bit, find your place, one you identify yourself with, register there and make some races and friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  9. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's already the very first soft worth to drive a car offline with all the complexity n physics. People sure know my opinion all most but rf2 is the first soft i would take more serious if it was more complete and running on triples with AMD's and a worth grid to drive. There is no need for a 30 man grid because sometimes it makes more fun with a handfull gentle driver who are aware of things like not speeding in pit and or take a look in the mirror before leaving the pits and awaiting driver may crashed to back on track on a save position without to harm anybody else. Driver who know when anybody is faster not to be the one ruining his turn or race by using the tracks full width and blocking the line. It's great to cut ahead someone don't use mirrors and knows his performance to place on track.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I am not saying no leagues have switched yet. But the masses have not. I am also not saying it isn't stable enough to switch. But convincing the masses that it is good to go is hard right now. Simply trying to get admins to at least learn the package system is nearly impossible. Admins want to think it is harder to admin in rF2 when really it is dramatically less trouble. Auto downloading and updating content, skin xfers, virtual vehicles on the horizon, ect ect. Admins don't have to update mods to add VEH files and custom skins any more. Users can create their own cars with custom skins right inside the sim... this car will then be xfered to the server automatically and then sent out to other drivers as they join. Admin life is dramatically easier with rF2.

I predict dramatic changes in regards to league friendliness over the next 3 months or so.

Another thing that I think is causing leagues to hold off is they are waiting to see how AC pans out. On league forums I see people complaining all the time that their system can't handle rF2. Well if your system can't handle rF2 then it sure as hell can't handle AC. AC doesn't perform any better on my system than rF2 does and that is with a single car on track. I feel at this point it is time to stop waiting on AC and make the move to rF2.

11. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Now i have to agree with you ;)
    RF2 gives me 10% of the work i have with rf1.
    Skinpacks, installs, mismatches, 19243942 versions of same track, etc.

RF2 is the future of .....at least our league. We even have an AC championship running (with the obvious limited resources) and 3 or 4 in Rf1. But if i look ahead i dont see AC pushing RF2 to a corner. At least here in our small corner.
    We´re going a little offtopic i guess.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think allot of people are on the fence and not dedicated yet. old sims became old, new sims are not ready or often perceived as not ready.
    Which seems the case with rf2, I still see peeps pop up stating its just not ready yet, too buggy etc. consequently, whether they are right or wrong, they don't give it enough effort to get hooked.
    We have been running rf2 events as well and it has given us a total of 2 new members whom both became inactive fairly quick hehe. in rf1 they used to poor in like rain :)

I agree on the admin part, once you dived into it it is indeed much easier. On the other hand, wanting to use the new goodies also bring their own sets of frustrations, things don't always work as they should and you spend quite some time chasing stuff and getting mixed results on experiments. Also because within rf2 things remain fairly undocumented and unclear what they do exactly.

Add that to a league where its members are only semi-active due to no-dedication and you see admins shy away from all the work because what does it give them? small grids and unmotivated peeps whom bitch and moan about rf2 :p

A circle hard to break through I suppose. will get better in time

13. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Indeed. But the 10% remained is more than what I THINK (because i don´t have any of then) the others sims requires .
    But im quite used to rf2 now and thats doesn´t bother me much anymore (speaking only about myself, but i believe newcomers in rf2 maybe has another perception).

14. coops

coops Banned

from what I hear rf2 league racing is not up to rf1 league racing standard. They are not making the move while it is that way. I have been league racing for 1 yr in rf2 but I will agree with them in some areas its worse.
    When it happens rf1 will die slowly.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

less mods.

many rF1 racers have rigs that can't handle rF2.

less people playing rF2 means more people who are staying away because so few are online.

bad press (from This Week Inside iRacing.... err I mean Sim Racing)

I think those are the big ones keeping people at bay. I hope it turns around soon because I have only been on a grid with 20+ drivers a few times (all with Champion Motorsports) and it was some of the best racing I have ever had.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

If our league is anything to go by we are finishing off 2013 and RF1 atm with only 1 race to run tonight and plan to start 2014 with RF2. The festive season will give people a chance to obtain the software and get familiar with the track/ mod install process and by mid /lat Jan 14 will be racing. We are aware that a few may drop off due to system incompatibility but in time will come back as old games such as RF1 are superseded and their servers become obsolete...I hanging out to race RF2 with our league of guys who all drive respectfully and whos style we are all familiar with .It will be when RF2 really shines for me.

17. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

are there any good american based rf2 leagues??

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Yup check out the site in my sig

19. endonesia

endonesia Registered

That would be because they are actually going to have to go legit and pay this time.

Cheap Bastards!

20. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

thanks guy will do ;)