White checkerboard flash

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rfuctor, Sep 8, 2015.

1. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Does anybody else get a strange white checkerboard flash at certain parts of the track?

I can reproduce this at certain points on certain tracks. Silverstone and Atlanta seem to be most affected.

It happens when driving but also when watching the replay. It's not something that happens at exactly the same point each time but it does occur in the same few metres of track. You can reproduce it by pausing the replay at the correct point. While paused the flashing will occur at seemingly random intervals.

It's like a GPU driver issue or overclocking issue but I put my card back to stock speeds and it doesn't change anything. Also, I have no issues in any other game.

2. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I've recorded a video of it so you can see what I tried to describe.

At this very specific point on the track (there are a couple of others), the flashing occurs. It's easiest to see in a replay. The flashing happens at this point but as I move the replay on, you'll see the flashing stops.

Any ideas?

Alex72 likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try a clean sweep of your GPU drivers and reinstall.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Check card temps to!

5. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Here is a screenshot of the flash. It's clear that only part of the scene is affected:

View attachment 17909

At this point my GPU is only ~75% load and 50C.

Other games such as GTA V are far more stressful on the GPU and none have ever caused any issues like this.

I have tried several different Nvidia drivers without success.

I guess I am the only person having this issue?

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

This is a very odd glitch. I see it's affecting just a specific area of the car, maybe a specific shader and/or material...or a glitch running along the Z buffer.

Did you try with another car?

AMP and Silverstone are probably the most demanding ISI tracks, but for sure this is not an expected problem. At all.

Check with another car and if the problem it's still there I would try a GPU driver sweep plus a complete clean up of rF2 shader cache and a new player.JSON. After that I would run the game again with NO specific profiles/bits in the GPU control panel and/or Inspector.

7. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

Thanks for looking and your suggestions Tuttle. I will do as you suggested and report back.

8. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

OK, I have done some more testing.

I have cleaned drivers and rFactor2\UserData\Log\Shaders (I assume this is the shader cache?) and removed player.JSON.

I still have the issue.

I have found the issue with other cars (Palatov and GTR) and on another track, Bathhurst.

Here is a screenshot GTR 1.6 at Bathhurst, again only a certain part of the cockpit is affected

View attachment 17920

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2015