Which sim is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyRickard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I'm sure they sat him down in one of the official iRacing "Fail Rigs" they have lying around at all the events.

[​IMG]

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

lol. Ol' Rusty is quite outspoken and a few bucks from DK and his cronies won't change his mind.

Then there is Darin Gangi in the photo. Yeah he isn't on iR's payroll. LOL.

3. mrtrent

mrtrent Registered

As I type, I am downloading rFactor. I had rFactor years ago and gave up due to too little participation. After reading some of the above post, I hope I am not making a mistake.

Can one of you guys tell me where the practices and races are at. Could not find them in rFactor.net. Unless it is all in the program??

[​IMG]

4. mrtrent

mrtrent Registered

Downloanding rFactor now. Were on the rFactor.net site are the practices, races, cars, tracks - or is everthing in the download.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is the rFactor 2 section; once you've downloaded it and have read the manual and stuff, try asking about things over in the rFactor (1) section.

6. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I posted here explaining I enjoy iRacing and I am looking forward to rFactor2. The raison d'ĂȘtre of my post was to demonstrate that some of us are capable of enjoying sim racing as a whole and the many good products from varying development teams which give us such enjoyment.

Watch an interview with Gjon Camaj, Stefan Casillo or Dave Kaemmer and it is clear of their passion for developing sim racing titles. We don't have enough quality products. It simply takes too much time for any one team to develop a new generation and we need them all.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I would have to say MOST of us are capable of enjoying them all. From my experience it's just a percentage of papy/iracing fans are the fanboys who defend iracing until they are blue in the face. I'm not a fan of iR but I will tell you that they've got some really nice tracks. Road America, Road Atlanta, Infinion, Mazda Raceway are all superb. I will also say that the tracks that were done in nr2003 were superb as well. I still enjoy a few laps on watkins glen with that sim even though it's ancient.

GTR2/GTL and the Race series I still race often. Netkar I basically use for hotlapping. I league race in arca sim racing. It seems like a do a stage or two a week on RBR. Yes I have to admit it seems like once or twice a year I'll throw a few bucks towards the evilness of iracing. Heck how can I bash it unless I can see it from the inside?

I may come off as harsh but I love sim racing as well. From my experience the sim racing snobs are all iracers.

P.S it's Stefano Cassillo not Stefan. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  8. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

The die hard bash anything else exists on internet forums everywhere, be it fans of F1 drivers, Audi forums, Call of Duty, audio equipment or whatever.

iRacing is an easy one to pick on because there is the assumption that members will want to justify their investment over something considerably cheaper and no doubt that will be true for some. Yet it is rather like a tuned Caterham owner telling a Ferrari owner they are mad to spend the extra money when the Caterham can go around a track just as fast. The Ferrari owner may well consider the extra cost worthwhile for many reasons.

Our biggest investment is time and there are plenty that will defend the products they have put a lot of time into getting good with and perfecting on their own systems. I spent some while moderating the iRacing forum on RSC before it was even launched and there were plenty defending other products just as the LFS forums were bashing rFactor and vice versa. It is an unfortunate trait amongst internet forums. Brand snobbery isn't limited to cost and there is plenty of inverted snobbery when it comes to that too.

9. Taranta

Taranta Registered

it's Casillo not Cassillo ;) the best FFB in the world :D

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You got that right!!;)

Best tire model as well. ;)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

After NTM, they will be waiting for NSM and NWM. All 'N' together will ruin this sim at all ;)

12. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

From day one, two things were crystal clear to me about iRacing. It was mostly hype, and the fanboys were so obnoxious that even if it were a great sim, they would ruin the experience. The fanboys have been exposed as fools, and I'm personally happy to see iRacing struggling. I've never liked being lied to by people who want to try and take money out of my pocket.

13. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Yo DGF!

The old sparring partner from RAS :)

14. David G Fisher

Hey Tony. Those were fun (and crazy) times on r.a.s. :) You were one of the level headed guys there, and a true sim racing enthusiast. Jump on over to R2P and run the '71 F1 mod with us sometime. :) Hope to see you there when rF2 comes out too.

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

iracing will call their next release 3.0 and keep up the hype. Broken cars, broken tire model, dk doesn't have any passion for sim racing. He's been doing this too long and has lost his spark. Right now iracing is freaking horrible. I can't believe how broken the tour mod is. You load it, get into the car and the right front tire chatters back and forth. It's freakign retarded. It's been complained about and no fix. Modders wouldn't release such JUNK.

16. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

@DGF The nice thing about RAS (in spite of its crazy non moderation Byron moments) was the neutrality of the venue. It is naturally awkward to discuss other products in another product's forum and even places like RSC were categorized into sims.

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Rickard isn't going anywhere. He is an iracing fanboy/lifer. He chirps on everythread if somebody has a gripe with iracing defending iracing till his death. He even chirps in on cars and series he doesn't race. I'm sure he gets a few iracing credits thrown his way after writing a blog or two calling iracing the greatest thing since sliced bread.

18. David G Fisher

Yes, Tony, there were many, many excellent discussions there, and the lack of moderation was a big part of the reason why. CdnRacer, that certainly doesn't sound like the Tony Rickard I knew. He had his preferences like we all do, but was always very, very fair when discussing sims, and I think many of us respected his opinions (over the course of a number of years actually) because he was so reasonable and unbiased. Maybe iRacing has corrupted him though. :)

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Ipod's have crap DAC's and don't support FLAC, jack..

:p

20. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

My biggest hatred in sim racing is the banal product bashing - the very point of this thread. In my view it is counter productive to any discussion as unreasoned noise. Of course there will be positive and negative points to discuss. These aren't fan sites, we have the opportunity to share our thoughts with the developers of the products we want to see developed. There are ways of letting them know how we feel in a constructive way.

The biggest danger is the real issues get lost in the noise of people looking to score points and play to a gallery - those that wish to play the internet tough guy under the guise that the truth hurts and you suck.

I think iRacing is important for the genre to develop. That is probably a positive for other sim racing developments too. The associations being developed with real world racing series go beyond what otherwise could be achieved. The traditional publisher/developer relationship has died for sim racing leaving us with independent developers with massively different models (checkout C.A.R.S. for the latest) in a bid to take sim racing forward. There are alternatives and we all have preferences. I just want a great sim racing experience and will do what I can to constructively add my two cents where I see appropriate.