Where are all the 3rd party tracks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Voodoo Pizzaman, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Very exciting concept.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not sure if i completely understand this but it sounds similar to some of the things Ive been suggesting on another thread, so good news

3. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I have expected that more players would switch from rFactor to rFactor2, but this has not happened, rFactor2 lobby is empty and leagues are struggling to get drivers to join.
    I fear that if rFactor2 get higher cost this will be KO to rFactor2 and it can not be saved by the bell.

What do you think about this Tim?

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What Tim says has been my thinking from day 1.

Have 3rd party content classified, tested and approved for addition by ISI and a panel of modders.

I still like the idea of a second version of rFactor2 Pro better........

That would only use approved registered and validated Mod IDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Well said, sir. :)

When I modelled my very first track to rF1 back then, it took over 8 months to complete. Started with almost zero experience of 3dsmax, learning things from tutorials and trial-and-error method, refused to giving up and forcing myself to keep going. Whole project was tears and sweat, but I finally managed to release it.

Modding (cars, tracks or whatever) needs dedication and motivation. If motivation ends just when firing up 3ds max or Photoshop, I don't know how anyone can expect to produce anything. Track building is not Scalextric cardboard box which you can open, put few pieces together and throw few car to the trails and start racing. If someone expects ISI to build Scalextric cardboard box for rF2, can keep dreaming. That is never going to happen and it's childish to even demand something like that. We have fully open platform, good documentation and helpful devs and fellow modders. Can someone name another developer who have created similar, fully open and continuously evolving simracing platform? Anyone?

I am sick and tired to read these demands and complaints over and over again about track building tools or lack of documentation. Some individuals sounds like a broken record with this imaginary issues. If you cannot play in this sandbox, move on.

Track building is art of creating enviroment for racing cars and racing drivers. This art needs proper tools to have full control over track mesh and textures. 3ds max is one of them. Get over it.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah all I ever said ....... " Why waste your free time / life ......... "

If half of them spent as much energy driving another sim as they do complaining about rF2 they could all be world champions. !@!

hehehe ;)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

GSC would have never been as successful if it had sold payware in rFactor days.

But now with rF2 any "company" producing the best single series ( all cars / tracks ) could make a motza.

If anyone wants to do a full 1967 Season looks better then anything in any sim produced, add the missing tracks
    in the same ISI / feels look put me down for $25+ now ! lopl

Exciting indeed.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Who said anything about higher cost?

At first the extra content would be justification for a lifetime license (rF2 is more expensive than AC or PCARS) until we see where the content wars settle. How many decent quality tracks will AC have a year out? Which tracks are they (hot, popular licensed ones or fictional, etc.). Eventually, if licensed or top quality content is produced (like the suggestion above of a 1967 F1 complete package...aka GPL 2, or a zillion other possibilities), then it would have to be paid for either piecemeal or as part of some other copy-protected scheme.

It certainly gives rF2 at least a fighting chance assuming the track building team remains only two people and very limited licensing money is available.

9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Tim :)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Where?

Sent using Tapatalk

11. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Looks like you missed the very simple point jpalesi was trying to make: if/when he decides to upgrade his track to rF2 modern standards, he could easily export that version to rF1 as well, which would -yet again- make his updated rF2 track look as though it is a straight rF1 conversion. That's not entirely true, because he'd probably tweak the textures and materials for rF2's more natural and dynamic lighting so the rF1 version would end up looking dull. But raw art asset quality isn't a factor in the rF vs rF2 comparison. Some people dragged the quality aspect into the discussion -and in the larger rF2 picture- simply because it suited their argumentative needs. Quality is only a factor if you compare ... quality. And that has nothing to do with the platform or the tools. The overhead of incorporating features specifically for rF2 tracks is in fact way waay waaaaay LESS than 25%. Of the entire track creation process, 99.99999% of the time and energy is spent on art creation -- not rF2 art, but just ... art.

12. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

If groups like VLM, team Enduracers, Historix team, DRM team, VLN...or even Reiza starts to develop "professional" mods/series to Rfactor 2....hummm. But we come from a time where every single mod/track are free, so i don't know if this could be a real sucess or no.

13. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Thank you Luc.

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I agree with jpalesi and luc that many things can be used from rf1 original track if the initial quality was good enough. I have always defended that conversions can be properly done although they need quite some work with materials especially grass and gravel since shaders were very different and remeshing road surfaces.

However I have read thorughout this forum many times that rF2 tracks need to be redone completely from scratch, which would be in contradiction with the above.

It has also been said by ISI that some licensed tracks do not have enough quality to be converted and wouod need to be rebuilt. Is that like admitting some official ISI tracks were crappy?

IMO the problem is that before tracks were not so detailed because the overall appearance would not benefit much from a higer gmt detail because materials and lightning were to a lower level. Now applying realistics textures to those old models have the opposite effect.

What dou you think about this?
    Can we at least agree in one thing and affirm that there is no need to start from a scratch and good quality can be obtained? Otherwise I would not understand jpalesi's and Luc's POV

enviado mediante tapatalk

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I think you know what I mean.

When I am talking about cost I mean rFactor2 + content not rFactor2 standard or lifetime.

All leagues will also feel great pressure to buy 3th part contents and as I wrote before: "I have expected that more players would switch from rFactor to rFactor2,
    but this has not happened,rFactor2 lobby is empty and leagues are struggling to get drivers to join.
    I fear that if rFactor2 get higher cost (Factor2 + content) this will be KO to rFactor2 and it can not be saved by the bell."

What do you think about this Tim?

16. 88mphTim

Frankly I have no idea how you're connecting these things together. I feel you don't understand the basis of what was said.

Sent using Tapatalk

17. 88mphTim

Perhaps ask yourself why every mod isn't paid for already. Because of choice. That choice remains and frankly with the example given I think you're making a choice to be negative.

Sent using Tapatalk

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes I do, but you do not seem to understand what worries me, but never mind we see what happens.

19. 88mphTim

Are leagues currently 'pressured' to buy every game? If a studio that currently makes their own game decides to make an addon and you want to race it, you'll be buying less. You'll have one less standalone game to have installed, to figure out how to support, or to buy. I see no reason why it would be as much money for a track pack as a full game. They'd certainly be doing less work.

Edit - if it might be easier, please email me with concerns timw@imagespaceinc.com

Sent using Tapatalk

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

DAMN exactly the right thing I thought for 1 1/2 years now!
    THATS the thing to do!!
    A DREAM!!
    But: do it wisely! Release-system, donate system, online-system....
    Could be very great! (If I where you I wouldn´t have mentioned this here,
    so early, but maybe it´s just around the corner...??)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.