Wheel set mostly works - but no steering!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Huggy, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Huggy

Huggy Registered

Hi all. Recently updated my rF2 installation, not run it for some time. My faithful G25 wheel set, which still fine on all other race mods, including rF1, - at first seemed to have a mind of it's own, the car heading off in all directions bar the one I wanted it to go in, together with heavy vibration. I tried to adjust settings, FFB etc, and have now reached a stage where despite the wheel showing as functional in Calibration settings, and with gears, view, throttle , brake and all working from the wheel buttons and paddles, there is no actual steering when in the car. Is there a way of resetting everything to "factory" perhaps? Or has anyone any ideas about this ? Any help would be appreciated. I'll try and attach a screenshot of my calibration screen in case I've missed something obvious. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, your steering display there should be like a wide V (the part that turns blue as you move the wheel). Yours is a rectangle, so the game has the axis wrong. There's a possible fix and an almost certain fix, but try them in that order:

- Reassign your steering inputs (Steer Left, Steer right - be sure to turn the wheel around and around until it picks up, need to get halfway to full lock)
    - if that hasn't reset it, centre the wheel and press Set center. Then rotate the wheel all the way to its left stop, and press Set Left. Do the same for the right.

Hopefully that does it. If not you need to reset from a fresh start - which might mean reassigning many/all of your controls:
    - close the game
    - delete (or rename) the UserData\player\controller.json file.
    - start the game again.
    - load a controller profile or just start assigning the controls manually. The axis should behave correctly.

Huggy likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Registered

Yes! Thanks so much. Deleting .json file cleared the problem, and although loading the G25 preset alone didn't fix it, manually calibrating the actual wheel settings did. :)