Wheel-delay/lag

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by usvart, Dec 5, 2015.

1. usvart

usvart Registered

Hi,

i have the problem, that sometimes there is a input lag/delay. I turn the wheel, but the game does not respond immediately. A second later the game notices the new steering position and the "ingame wheel" jumps to the new position.

The game itself runs very smooth and with a high framerate.

Thanks for your help!

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

A "second later" lag? hmmm...that's big!

Is it mostly visual or it affects the driving? EG: if you turn off the visual wheel from settings, did you feel the steering input lag between your action on the rim and ingame steering reaction?

BTW few things to check;

1) Turn off steering assists/steering help (I think this is your cause)
    2) Check if you are using Video sync, which is affecting input lag
    3) Are you using pre-rendered frames in the GPU control panel? If yes, revert back to "1".
    4) Are you forcing framerate (max framerate) in your profile.JSON?

3. usvart

usvart Registered

Yes it affects the driving, witch makes it impossible. I crash in corners etc.

1: Driving Aids are off
    2: no sync
    3: sorry, i don't get this point. Have i to set this ingame or (in my case) Radeon-Settings?
    4: no

4. Tuttle

Considering your settings (especially no sync), this "one second later" lag sounds like a problem with your PC.

Post your PC+Wheel specs to see if you have a known problem somewhere.

BTW, there are several discussions about that, just search for "Steering Input Lag" and see if you can find something...but still, as far as I can tell, I don't remember anyone getting a second of lag.

5. usvart

usvart Registered

I tested it again and its much less than a second :); but it is still too long.

Now i tested my controller in windows with the Thrustmuster Control Panel and ich have the same problem there. Therefore it seems not be a problem with rf2, but maybe "simply" a hardware problem of my wheel :-(

6. Tuttle

Try disconnecting the wheel and uninstall completely its driver. Reboot.

After that reboot (do not reconnect the wheel yet), download the latest wheel driver, and install again in a DIFFERENT USB port and see if this is gonna change something.

I've an old F430 too, and it works flawless in windows 10, even in a cheap and old machine...so it has to work, unless it's broken but I don't think so.

7. usvart

usvart Registered

its getting worse :)

now rfactor2 crashes, when the wheel is connected to the pc. i triyed several driver uninstalls/installs and different usb-ports.

8. Tuttle

Ok let's try another thing;

I want to see if you are getting an hardware issue or not.

Keep your wheel connected and installed, and launch rF2.

Now, in the controller settings map two wheel buttons (using available buttons on the rim) as steering left and right inputs.

Now try using your wheel as a game controller and check if you are still getting lags, delays or "holes" between the "click" input and the tire action. Also, while doing that, rotate the wheel too - to see if this movement it's gonna create problems. You don't have to drive, you can check this sitting in the garage. :)

I wonder if you have some bad/unstable connection/soldering inside your wheel PCB.

I had a similar problem with a different thrustmaster unit, with the wheel rotation causing random connection/disconnections inside the wheel and creating sort of delays because of that and also crashes. POTs and PCB were getting random connection while rotating and shaking the wheel...causing on/off (and electric arcs...sigh) controls ingame.