What should I be expecting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rob1178, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Ok I've had rF2 for about a week now and I wanted to see whether my experience was along the same lines as others or if I am getting it wrong or not setting up properly.

First thing, no raindrops on the visor, nor sun glare as in the trailer/YouTube stuff. I take it this is because it's beta?

Second, no pit crew. Seen YouTube with a motionless crew but I don't even get that.

Third, my ffb is very week, but I have a cheapo Thrustmaster wheel so probably that's the cause not rF2.

Lastly, and I'm sure everyone has asked already so sorry for duplicating but FPS performance is all over the place. I have a GeForce gt430 1gb over locked and at spa with the 60s mod I can sometimes run at AA level 4, high or full settings on everything and get 50-70 FPS and then the next time I play the same settings are hopelessly slow at 20-40.

Mirrors seem to take between 10-40 FPS off the performance so I have to switch them off.

And sometimes it doesn't seem to matter what I set the display settings to it makes no difference to the FPS.

And that's on dx9. The final will be dx11 I expect so my gpu will be dead! I can't see if it's only dx9 at the moment or is dx11 supported?

So in summary, are these common features at this stage or is it me?

And what's the min upgrade gpu I'll need to get the settings up to high or full and have 60 plus FPS? (incl all the AA and HDR stuff) so far I have been advised GeForce gtx560.

Thanks guys, enjoying the physics but not enjoying stuttery FPS!!

2. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

You have a GT 430, that's a low end card. You'd probably be better off with a 9600GT. GTX 560 Ti or higher is what I'd aim for.

As for the rest, It's a BETA.

3. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I thought the beta thing was the rest of it just wanted to make sure!

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Another question: can I just get another mid/low end card and use them together?

5. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

If your board supports SLI, then it might help for the meantime, seeing as a 430 would be cheap as. But I doubt it would provide that much of an increase. I run 2 9800GT's and can't quite run everything maxed out, close though.

6. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

So if I got a 560 then it might get a small bump from the 430?

7. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

by the way, RF2 won't be DX11....it's DX9
    for the FPS: put the shadow settings on low or off. that gives you massive FPS increase (in my case at least)

8. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

A 560 Ti would be a really LARGE bump. A 560 Ti would be an improvement on my two 9800GT's.

9. MJP

MJP Registered

Your GT430 is really holding you back, Nvidia marketed it as a HTPC card and described it as a 'step up from integrated graphics' and it wasn't well received on launch.

As mentioned the 560/560Ti will be a significant upgrade but you haven't mentioned what res you play at or your budget or the rest of your pc spec.

10. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

if your budget is small (like mine :p): i had the GTX260 till two weeks ago, then "upgraded" to the 460...just go down on some of the detail settings and you are totally fine with both of these cards...of course assuming you only use one screen

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

460 is good if your looking at your budget

12. Paulinho

Paulinho Registered

I have a GeForce GT-240 and just couldn't get the sim to run that well, but I then reduced my overal screen res to 1280 x 768 32 bit and I get frame rates between 70 - 120 :)

Seems on my old system that was the only real problem.. I can now play very well.

13. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Expect nothing, and never be disappointed.

14. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i have a 3.07GHz core i3, 3gb RAM and 1360x768 res.

good old PC world at their best with the card, i asked for a decent level gaming card and the tool who worked there sold me this one. i didnt know any better at the time so thats why i ended up with the 430. i know better now!

i want to be able to get 60 fps at the full settings (not that i'm a gfx snob or anything at all!! ;)) but i dont have a huge, £400 budget for the top cards but i'm sure that if its only dx9 i wont need the really mega cards to acheive this.

plus, i only use rF1 and 2 for gaming, so i dont really care about if it can run Crysis lol.

i realise that i have a fairly low res screen also, but the card will be first step - as long as the rig can handle it i can get the better screen later. (my 40" HDTV might get some action in the near future!)

i'll also be throwing some more RAM at it, as that's a relatively quick and cheap win.

like everyone, i see the gorgeous videos of how its going to look, and i just feel a bit like i'm not getting the full experience if i have to tone down all the settings and compromise.

thanks for the advice so far, all really useful stuff.