What happened to this beauty?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What the heck happened to this beauty guys? Also, has RFactor 2 ACTUALLY improved graphically (especially as of B342)??? I mean think about it, this is 2 years old and, at least from the exterior view, looks AMAZING. The lower rear-end & diffuser shadow/lighting/detail in pic 4 almost made my jaw drop. Why doesn't/didn't nothing else look like this when this is from 2 years ago? Shows you just how how crazy amount of potential is lying underneath the RFactor 2 graphics engine, but is it potential that is too difficult to extract??...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2013
  2. tjc

tjc Registered

It`s Tuttles right?

Probably (hopefully) just on hold as he`s so busy with ISI stuff.

3. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Yes, this baby was announced by Tuttle, makes me sad that this has not seen the light or maybe not ever see, it's a shame, but good for Tuttle was ISI's staff, that is a good thing for the community also

4. TJones

TJones Registered

Impressive stuff!
    Really hope Tuttle find some time to continue with this!

5. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

dat grass.......

6. cubbi

cubbi Registered

Yes it has, quite a lot so - just look at this video:

It's just that most people cannot run it on high while maintaining their preferred fps, so many videos and screens look "bad" (personally I could max it out on one screen, but not on three^^)

I really miss the rain on the windscreen though:

[​IMG]

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The video does show a track that hasn't changed and doesn't use most of what has changed though. :)

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I know it's improved, but if you compare b342 to those exact shots i posted then has it really improved? Those shots are ingame yet look nothing like the builds from 2 years ago yet are from 2 years ago.

Maybe the question I should be asking is why do those pics look like a completely different rfactor 2 than the rfactor 2 we were playing 2 years ago?

9. coops

coops Banned

2010 rain on windscreen wipers working. ( looks fantastic )
    What has changed that much that we don't have the rain on windscreen and wipers working now in 2013 ? ( does anybody know )

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

they're not from in game but from the Mod dev, you can tell by the Windows top left. mod dev screenshots have always looked better than in-game.

11. 88mphTim

The difference is content related, not build related. Obviously. Why does Loch Drummond or Mores look different to Spa? It's exactly the same thing as I said in the post you replied to... lol

12. 88mphTim

If you search recent posts, you can find Tuttle debunking that one himself in recent builds.

13. 88mphTim

It wasn't a perfect loop when that was taken, and the tech was working on a single car, and we wanted something that could work on others. I asked recently and was told they've started and stopped a few times but never got the look they wanted yet. But as rain fx improve in general, it's getting to be about time.

14. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

They are parked on on line version of Dunsfold Aerodome. If someone goes in this track online someday, they will find the car.

15. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Shader change(earliest betas has more "metal" tone)......then we get more FPS, but also more "painted" looking graphic. Despite texturing, modeling, graphic effects and other stuff has improved, the whole game scene is now less "realistic", at least to my eye.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hmmm interesting, like Tim said though, is this a result of the content itself made, rather than the engine itself?

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I don't know exactly as i am not educated about this, but i believe(the way i see it) is result of how shaders now react different on lightning as was before. Of course i can be 100% wrong about that.

18. 88mphTim

Older content doesn't use some newer stuff until a new one is released allowing them to.

19. TJones

TJones Registered

Tim, are there upgrades planned of older content in the near future, including chassis flex?
    Or maybe you guys wait for some additional physic improvements?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  20. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Nope. I run the game full on everything maxed out when recording videos and have nary a problem with FPS and still have seen a boatload of comments on how rF2 looks terrible, when to my eye while actually playing it looks great. I wouldn't be so quick to say video quality issues either, seeing how I don't think I've ever have had a comment regarding terrible quality video while a bunch of "how did you record this looks awesome" comments...

It's a simple case of rF2 NOT looking good in compressed video which is really all that you ever see in most instances. When you use more detailed textures to "sell immersion" you lose it when you start compressing things, that is why on various video sites console games often don't look that bad compared to their PC brethren, but when you actually see the two in motion on their respective systems the gap is huge. It applies to almost any sim as well - iRacing's grass becomes basically a puddle of green rather than full of texture, GSC loses a lot of detail all over - especially the dashboard which usually looks fairly naff in video, AC's roads just look like one solid color.... When you compress things the first thing to go is detail. Uploading uncompressed video is not practical, and most video sites will poop on the quality anyways to get it to stream nicely.