What happened to flatspot vibrations in the force feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andregee, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Andregee

Andregee Registered

For a long time the vibrations in the FFB where related to the rotations of the front wheels, the faster you drove, the higher was the frequency of the vibrations in the rim, shortly it was physically correct. Nowadays its only a slow frequency vibration, not calculated by the real driven speed and if you drive faster with a massive flatspot, the rim starts to shake to the left and right like a bull on bovine spongiform encephalopathy. I wish the old true physics based flatspot calculation back, ok it was a hard survey for wheels like the G27, but the actuall system is weird, wrong and undriveable too with belt driven wheels. Maybe there will be a choice ingame someday for so we can choose what we like.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. stonec

stonec Registered

Nothing happened to it recently, the vibrations have been the same at least for 2 years (they depend on the mod of course as some mod tires are badly made). Before build 800/900 something the mass imbalance of the tire was not considered at all, now it is.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe you're just not flatspotting tyres as much? I don't think anything's changed.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nothing has changed. Use a mod that has more realistic tire wear and drive more badly. :)

Eddy and bwana like this.
  5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Ok sorry guys you are right but warning for all Fanatec CSW V2 users. Don´t use the latest firmware and driver 277. It works like it should in every case but it seems to be not compatible with the rfactor2 flatspots. It ends up in a really strange behaviour with massive pulling to the left and the right with rising speeds

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can honestly say I have never felt any vibrations from flat spots on any car,maybe I don't lock them up badly enough,will have to test this out,as I do definitely lock the tyres,just haven't noticed any visual or vibratory effects

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon you do have tyre wear enabled?

It's generally pretty easy to test. Find a straight piece of track, get up to a good speed, mash the brake pedal and keep it floored until you come to a stop. If you can get the car sideways on a bend and then do the same that'll work too. You should definitely feel the flatspots as you start driving away.

2ndLastJedi and Alex72 like this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah its easy to get for sure if you really want to test it. When i raced once and was nudged by another car making me spinning on the track shaving down rubber as i went sideways i got flatspots. :)

vegaguy5555 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It even shapes driver behaviour. When I do lose control I'm very reluctant to get on the brakes; I'd rather let the wheels keep rotating, even if only slowly, rather than have them sliding sideways on the same spots. In rF1 you'd mostly just slam the brakes on so you slid in a straight line (assuming you'd worked out you weren't already heading towards a wall).

Now even watching real racing, if I see someone spin and lock all their wheels up instead of letting them roll a bit, I cringe. :p

2ndLastJedi, bwana and John like this.
  10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I don´t have problems to dose the brakes but when you will get a hit from a competitor and your car slides sideways you will get massive flatspots to and that is one point that only rFactor2 provides truly physically calculated. Others titles insert only a canned vibration sample over the force feedback, undepending of speed and you can´t notice any the vibrations on the suspension geometry and you can drive the car till the end of the race without any pain, totally different compared to rFactor2. Thats why i love the rFactor2 system so. You will have to go to change the tyres, otherwise your teeth will fall out of your mouth caused by the strange vibrations driving higher speeds. And thats why i was so dissapointed yesterday, the high frequency vibrations had disappeared but the massive out of center pulling was present, what was not really connected to the driving physics. But with the old Fanatec Software 261/204 everything is fine

vegaguy5555, Alex72 and Ernie like this.
  11. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Very much mod/tire specific. An open wheel mod I run is very susceptible, causing wheel shaking/breaking effects easily. In other mods, you barely notice it.

12. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Thanks for the warning. Did you report at Fanatec ?

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Fanatic and rf2 seem to have issues on certain wheels. They've introduced deadzone that wasn't there on 115, and rf2 has issues - only game that has issues - with that driver, so despite being belt I must use smoothing on 7, as if I had a Logitech. That's absurd.

The T5 Series mod had that kind of FFB, I remember in 2013 calling out to that aspect and how it was awesome. I think a year or so later it was gone. There were many complaints on the severity of the effect, which always performed as if there had been a huge flat spot, and like I said, it was apparently tuned away.

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I can't actually remember seeing a setting for it,will check next time I'm on tho

15. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Try with the ISI corvette GT2

16. elcoco

elcoco Registered

you just use the wrong driver if you have a csw v2

last driver v2 is 261
    last driver v2.5 is 273 (the electronic is not the same)

17. Andregee

Andregee Registered

There is a new one available in the Fanatec forum even for V2. 0 called 277

18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It depends heavily on the wheel you use as well.

I had a G27 before, and the tiniest flatspot seemed to be easily felt, and bigger ones seemed to wanna rattle my teeth out.

However, I got a Fanatec Forza CSR after that, and now a TX 458, and they are only slightly there, compared to the G27 at least. But you do notice a difference once you've pitted for new tyres. ;)

19. elcoco

elcoco Registered

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Got a link? I can't find it.