What FOV do you use?(Single Screen Users)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Love Guitars n Cars, Sep 17, 2023.

1. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I'm just curious what everyone else uses. I have a 32" screen and am using a 35 Vertical FOV.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Both screen size and distance determine what true FOV is, so any comparisons need to take both into account.

FWIW I think when I used a single 32" I still had 50+ FOV in order to see enough around me. I did try correct FOV and thought it was very cool to have correctly sized objects (corners, cars, hills, etc), but the lack of visibility made it impossible to race that way and many corners were effectively blind (I never used any of the game or third-party tools to turn the camera, as I'm used to having the camera rigidly stuck to the car and didn't want to spend the time to adapt).

Generally I'd say lower FOV is better for immersion and certain aspects of driving (braking zone accuracy, sensitivity to lateral movements visually, to name two) but with a single screen it's always a tradeoff with visibility.

Emery and Love Guitars n Cars like this.
  3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Fov at 52 on a 29" ultrawide screen. As @Lazza said its a compromise to get better visibility.

Love Guitars n Cars likes this.
  4. Corti

Corti Registered

Monitor 34" ultrawide 2560x1080 about 70cm away
    According to FOV online calculators, I should have 27, but the experience is very complicated according to Lazza for visibility and also in the face of reactions too fast in the steering wheel turns. I currently use FOV 40-45, here with all seat parameters and head tilt plugin to zero.
    Porsche GT3
    [​IMG]
    I usually adjust the position with "head tilt" until the car dashboard is aligned in the lower part of the monitor
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  5. Jubes

Jubes Registered

I've wondered what is ideal too, being a laptop user.
    I usually go with 55 - 60, for visibility.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Ideal FOV would make the objects in the screen look the same size they would look in real life from where you are sitting. That's what I go for but since my monitor isn't big enough I have to use a FOV a little bit lower. I've added head tracking to improve my visibility without decreasing FOV even more.

FOV 35-40 with 27" monitor at ~60cm.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  7. sushi

sushi Registered

Monitor 34" ultrawide 2560x1080 about 58 cm away.
    According to FOV online calculator I should have 33, I use 35.
    I tried higher FOV and the rest of the view improved but it looked wrong to me. Sometimes I adjust the view of the instruments a bit with the seat adjustment.

8. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

Thanks for your inputs. Yeah I've been using something closer to what I found in a FOV calculator and was blown away at how I could read what is on brake markers and how the scale looked correct.

9. Supa

Supa Registered

27in about 22 inches from my eyes sooo really close FOV 35.

10. Supa

Supa Registered

Single monitor

11. pety100

pety100 Registered

I use the FOV on 49, which is basicly the default value but it's perfect for me. I'm using a 24" monitor and my eyes are about 70 centimeters from it. If I use online tools to calculate the optimal FOV it would be like 25 if I remember correctly but that was just ridiculous when I tried to drive like that. :D

12. Abdel

Abdel Registered

I have a 34 inch curved ultrawide 3440 x 1440 and I am 65cm from my screen.
    The calculator on the internet gives me a fov of 29 but I can't play with it, I'm currently at 34.
    Which calculation site did you use for the fov?

delapecs and Love Guitars n Cars like this.
  13. Jubes

Jubes Registered

Blimey, have I got it all wrong?
    I've got an 18" laptop, and I use between 50 and 60 fov!

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yeah, i've never used those FOV calculators, never found them accurate and as far as i can see here for the feedback, it's the same...

15. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

Fov calculators say my fov should be 23°, however like othes say you can't see shyt so instead I use 30° which is perfect for me. Additionally I move the seat until widescreen borders coincide with the screen.
    In my experience the worst turns in single monitors are U shaped corners, like the ones in Daytona, because I can't see where should I go. The best case scenario is to nail the braking and hope physics puts the car where is supposed to be.
    Said that, in some tracks I have to use a much bigger fov, like 35-38°, because otherwise the road looks "too big". This happen in tracks where the environment (buildings, fences, etc) is close to the road such as in Monaco or the green hell.

16. Allwin20200

Allwin20200 Registered

I have 60-65 also on laptop. Wondering if I have it all wrong too haha
    I'll try today something closer to the other guys, like 35-40...

Jubes and Love Guitars n Cars like this.
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bit late to reply, but assuming the inputs and outputs are understood, it's not a question of accuracy. Actual FOV occupied by screens (and therefore the correct value to use in games) is a simple fact and easy to verify with basic trigonometry.

But unless you have very large displays, there's always the matter of real values vs useability. In your real car, how much of the windscreen (and side windows) are you willing to cover with cardboard? All but the largest of single screens will obscure your vision to some extent.

So yes, most people not running triple screens will use a higher FOV than calculated.

Emery and Love Guitars n Cars like this.
  18. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

Yep 21 x 12 screen, I am using 59 fov.
    It's actually 24 inch samsung that has no quit in it. I have to let it go at some point and get something bigger. How are the curved ones, a go or no go?
    Thanks
    Steve

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the scheme of things, if you can get a curved screen with features you want and it's cheaper than flat, or you can't get flat with the same features, it's fine. There'll be slight distortion compared to flat but when you spend so much time watching unrealistic FOV anyway (gaming, TV, youtube etc) it probably won't bother you. You can also sort of compromise and make use of the curve to see a little more to your sides and still feel 'ok' than you can obviously do with a flat screen.

If going to triples I'd prefer flat just because if you're going to spend more money and have a better GPU to drive all those pixels, you might as well get the perspective as correct as you can. And decent size triples extend around you enough, you don't need the extra curvature.

Single screen, a big curved one would be a huge step up from what you have, and if you can run close to real FOV it'll be amazing. The difference in immersion is shocking, considering how far short of a big triple or VR setup it still is.

SteveMack likes this.