What about Keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jize, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jize

Jize Registered

hey guys,
    i know that is kinda dull to want to play a sim with keyboard, but i dont have space an money to have a wheel or even a rig.
    so my question is if rf2 is at the current state playable with keyboard? rf1 was. also rrre is playable with keyboard. in replays you don't see that it's driven by keyboard. when i checked rf2 half a year ago it was impossible to drive with keyboard. i wasn't able to take a corner at full speed just because a fast tap on arrow button resultend in 100% steering in the given direction and not in a more smooth steer.

2. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I don't think anything changed from rF1 to rF2...but from your words I guess I'm wrong. I would imagine that if you enable steering assist in rF2 it would be the same as in rF1. Check that you are not comparing apples to oranges (for example comparing rF1 with steering assist to rF2 without steering assist).

3. Jize

Jize Registered

thanks, i will try how steering assist works in rf2. even with keyboard i just loved how rf2 felt and i was so sad that i coul not keep the car on track in fast corners. when you play that long with keyboard you start to "feel" even without to really feel (ffb) :D

4. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

keyboard is possible ,but without serioius tweeking on the sensitivity control settings on the steering and throttle % you've not got a chance of being competitive especially in the twitchy cars like the lola and corvette. Your missing so much response and control without a wheel , and it may be an idea to sell one of the following options to get a wheel

1: all unwanted/unused electrical equipment
    2: your children , 1 or both of your parents
    3: yourself .......;)

Good look with option 3 lol

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Im pretty sure its doable with some adjustments from within the game, may take some trial and error, but eventually I'm sure it can be done. Also if you dont have space or money for a wheel, I would recommend getting a gamepad, with analog dual analog controls sims are much more fun and playable than with a keyboard.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/gaming/controllers
    Cheap, with good built quality gamepads.

If you have some more money but dont want to dedicate the space, theres always solutions to minimize the space requirement.

http://steelseries.com/products/other/simraceway-s1-steering-wheel
    Havent tried it, so other than knowledge of its existance, Ive got nothing.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/driving-force-gt?crid=714
    Combined with...
    http://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/stand-for-logitech-driving-force-gt-pro-ex-fx-wheels---v2
    Is a great way to get most possible out of a sim, with compact way. One minute to pull it from storage and plug it in, and one minute to put it back to storage.

6. Jize

Jize Registered

thank you golanov

7. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

8. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

I have tried rfactor 2 with pad. It's playable with assist on, but nothing compared to wheel. Project cars is much better with pad and keyboard.
    You should try to find used dfgt wheel. It's very good for that price.

9. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

You should buy a second hand wheel. With 50 to 100 $ you may find a good logitech wheel or even a g25

10. vali

vali Registered

I think a second hand G25 (in good condition) would be better than a DFGT. The pedals are in a different league.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Jize

Are you in the uk? I have an old logitech momo ffb wheel & pedals which is perfectly working order, can let you have it if you pay shipping no problem

Send me a PM if you want it

12. Jize

Jize Registered

thanks mate, very nice of you, but i live in berlin.

mh, then i will maybe get myself a second hand g25 and try it out.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Jose

Good good, if you enjoy a sim on a keyboard you'll love it with a proper ffb wheel

14. Magzire

Magzire Registered

For christ sake at least get a xbox pad :)

15. Radar

Radar Registered

Or Joystick ?? Joystick will be better than the keyboard (or game pad as Magzire mentioned).. At least it won't be too much (if you can't get a 2nd hand wheel), it won't take much space and you will enjoy it a little more than a keyboard..

16. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

In the old days I used my mouse to steer. If the game did not support mouse steering you could make it work using a mouse-joystick emulator

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The aids are still there from rF1, it might be possible, but it should have been a year ago also... Did you turn the aids on back then? You need steering assistance ON.