Wet weather insanity in rf2...

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by F2Chump, May 28, 2012.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 could become the best sim of all time, but I wonder what the deal is with wet weather, for example, I was tippy toeing thru the 2nd corner in malaysia in FISI in the wet, slowly built 1st gear to about 72kph, and then did nothing but change into 2nd and it did a 360 on me.....come on, which real life drivers experience are you going to drag out to justify the realism of that?

Remember, 1st gear wasn't near full revs and picking up 2nd should mean a dip into low revs, so where's the power come from to spin me....

If wet weather physics are unfinished, I can live with that.

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

They are. Some cars have better grip in the rain than in the dry. =)

I think the FISI was specially mentioned by the devs to have especially buggy and unfinished wet physics in some thread.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

k...delete thread please

4. smartin13

smartin13 Registered

1. the game is unfinished=physics are unfinished
    2.there ist something called Torque

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Then HOW do I change gears, LOLOLOL.....funny guy.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

3. make sure you have auto lift on just like in real life, or youll be applying revs in between gear changes (even if its such a small period of time in f1 cars) and thatll send an instant amount of torque to the rears when the clutch quickly re-engages (sort of like popping the clutch with revs on).

7. smartin13

smartin13 Registered

don't steal my words:)but you are right with the rain tires is something wrong in the moment.but that's part off development

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just to confirm, yes, a lot of the rain effects are held awaiting other things (no point working backwards to go forwards).

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If you are flat shifting mid-corner in the rain and you are near the limit, it'll swap ends on you. Lift. ease on the throttle. That said, I haven't specifically tried this it so maybe it's a bug. I have done some rain racing in rF2 and haven't had this happen though.

10. osella

osella Registered

It is indeed unfinished, I myself find grip in wet overall too low. Just after few raindrops fall, there is immediately like 5% grip.. in real life, when it it just drizzling you can hardly notice it, like 1% less grip at most.

11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Depends on the car I suppose. In a street car it's barely noticeable, partly due to not being on the limit all the time, partly due to the tyre being designed for wet weather situations. In a racing situation though with slick tyres that are very temperature sensitive (rain very quickly brings the track temp down, and should affect the tyres quite a bit as well) and have no way of channeling any water anywhere, even a small film will affect handling, especially on the smoother parts of the track (the racing line), I don't think a noticeably drop in grip with just a little rain is all that wrong (especially from the temperature point of view).

Hopefully the RealRoad tech will be so flexible at the end that it will be possible to designate which sections of a track hold how much water. For example the old Nords was notorious for having several different surface types along the track, and some of them hanging on to water for much longer than the others (good video of this on youtube, narrated by Jackie Stewart). Local tree and land formations will also affect the situation.

This is also a good read, has some great wet weather related stuff in it.

12. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I am sure there is work to be done but from my bitter experience a flat in top corner becomes a spinning top corner with just one laps worth of drizzle between them in a FF2000 on slicks :)

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Indeed. Perhaps people missed this weekends indycar, where 30s of fairly light rain caused almost as much havoc as when the track fell apart.

14. osella

osella Registered

I find it a bit too slippery (under slight rain) even on the 60s cars - those tyres aren't fully designed for dry only

But you're right I can't compare it too much with my real driving when its drizzling, as I only use little gforces (I'm not a "boyracer" lol, why risk on public road).

Nice link jubutibb, also good (classical, almost) read is physics of racing by Beckman, if you know more articles like that please tell me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  15. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Also happened in the Nurburgring 24h. ***spoliers ahead***

Late at night one cloud dumped on a couple corners of the track which ultimately took out the Falken Porsche.

16. osella

osella Registered

^Well but all this discussion is a bit pointless after all since we all have different definition of "fairly light rain", what's "drizzle" and so on. It was me who started this lol though.

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Drizzle is not an ambiguous term, it has a very specific meaning, which is that the water drops are much smaller than in rain (usually around 0.5 mm and below). You can have light drizzle, as well as moderate and heavy drizzle (they are mainly separated from each other by visibility). You can also have drizzle and rain at the same time. And no matter how little water is coming out of the sky, if it consists of normal large drops of water then it's rain, not drizzle.

What fairly light rain means isn't unambiguous though. I'd wager it means somewhere between light rain and moderate rain, perhaps leaning more towards moderate.

Yes, I've worked as a weather observer. :)

18. osella

osella Registered

That's interesting :p
    However regarding track grip it should be the total amount of water dropped per area that matters, right? Thats hard to measure by eyes ;)

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Hmmm... I'm not totally sure about how much difference there is in handling between drizzle and rain if you take a track with equal amounts of water on it, but they make the track look noticeably different to the naked eye. Someone needs to experiment. So get to it. =)