SOLVED Weird GPU behavior - Need help

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JEmilio, Dec 13, 2023.

1. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

Hello dear racers,

I'm having a really weird behavior with my rF2, in specific with the gpu.
    My system consist of an Asus gaming laptop which I bought two months ago. In the mean time I have been doing just hot laps and everything was running flawless, however when I decided to start racing against the ai I have encountered a really weird issue which I have not been able to solve it and therefore I'm asking for help. The issue is as follow:

When I do a race against the ai I get very low fps (around 15-20) while the gpu doesn't run at more than 40% of its capability. The issue is independent of the car, track, number of opponents, weather, race time, etc, and graphics settings included opponent detail and number of visible opponents. For some reason rF2 doesn't push the gpu at its max power. It's important to note that the cpu is not causing a bottleneck as you can see on the pictures below. At this point you could think the gpu is not powerful enough but this is not the case.

This is the list of solutions I've tried without success:
    - Deep clean installation of nvidia drivers. I tried an old version as well as the latest version available of the drivers.
    - Change nvidia control panel settings, in specific power control options (adaptative, optimal power, maximum performance, etc)
    - Clean installation of windows in another drive in the hope the problem could be caused by a corrupted system. In this clean windows I only installed the very needed drivers alongside rF2, the problem persisted.
    - Reinstall rF2, however I kept player.json as well others settings files (controller.json config_dx11.ini, etc) from the old version.

Finally in the desperation I decided to delete player.json file and let rF2 to create the file from scratch.
    Then I started rF2 and set a quick race, 20 gt3's in Red Bull national circuit. To my surprise the game ran as expected, more than 100 fps with the gpu running at 80-90%. So I quit the race and changed all the settings to my liking (video settings, audio, camera, etc) and tried another race in other track. Yep, the simulation ran flawless... at that point I though I solved the issue.

Then I quit the game and went directly to player.json file to change all the settings that are not visible within the game. After that I did another test race... The problem was back, no more than 40% of gpu usage and 20 fps at max. At that point I knew I didn't have a cpu bottleneck issue. So I deleted again player.json file and repeated the process described in the above paragraph.

I came to the conclusion that after I quit the game nvidia-rfactor doesn't want to put the gpu back to work for some reason and instead the gpu is kept at a low profile mode. Even if I don't change a single parameter on player.json and I only limit to open the game immediately the problem happens. This problem of course is not present in other games so it must be a problem in the interface nvidia-rfactor.

To summary, the problem has a solution however having to delete player.json file and change all the settings back is very disturbing for me, so if anyone has an idea on how to solve this problem would be much appreciated. Why other players have not encountered this issue is behind my knowledge, maybe is my particular system.

Below I post two pictures of a race in Road Atlanta with 20 gt3's. Before.jpg shows the situation when everything runs flawless (I have capped the fps to 75 to keep the heat and noise levels low), and after.jpg shows the situation after I restart rF2.
    Note that in before.jpg the gpu is running at 70W of 80W available while keeping the framerate steady unlike in after.jpg where only draws 50W and the framerate is very low. On the other hand, ram and cpu usage are almost the same.

I really hope someone can help me, if not then maybe in the future this testimony will be useful to someone else...
    Thanks in advance!

My system specs are:
    CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H running at 4 Ghz, 8 cores, 16 threads
    GPU: Nvidia Gtx 1660 Ti, 6 gb of vram
    RAM: 16 gb in dual channel
    Storage: SSD

Attached Files:

2. stonec

stonec Registered

So the game runs fine every time you delete player.JSON and let it regenerate? Weird.

I'm not an expert on laptops and how Nvidia GPU's determine what power mode to run, but this indeed sounds like an issue specifically with the way a laptop GPU runs and rF2.

One thing I always recommend checking is to launch the rFactor 2 graphics configuration window from Steam before you launch the game. In that page make sure the dedicated GPU is selected and maybe turn off windowed mode and run fullscreen if you have windowed mode enabled.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What hidden json settings did you change?

Ah, sorry, I missed the line where you had the same with no edits.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

Thermal throttling?

5. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

Nope, thermal throttle for gpu starts at 87C and 95C for cpu

6. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

Thank you for your answer. Later I will try your suggestion

7. JEmilio

JEmilio Registered

I've managed to solve the issue. I just need to delete the file "All Tracks & Cars.cch" inside player folder instead of deleting player.json and lose all my settings. Apparently these two files host information about the cars and the track selected, so by deleting one of them seems to reset some kind of cache within the game letting this time the gpu to run normally.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yeah but. We OFTEN recommend deleting or renaming Player.json or even the UserData folder to fix one time problems. But you shouldn't have to keep repeating the steps. It certainly does sound like an in-game problem though. About all I can think of is using the Nvidia software to clear the Vram.