Watch this: massive input lag?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cosimo, Jul 13, 2013.

1. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Please watch this video: http://youtu.be/ndLxm-HTtrw

Since I started paying attention to input lag, I have rewatched this video many times.

How is possible to build such a rig and tolerate this level of lag? Maybe the driver doesn't notice?

Questions:

what causes such lag? (seems around 100-150 ms to me) Is it mostly a monitor issue? Is it caused by triple screen setups? (doubt that)

My simple laptop and cheap 27" with a DFGT wheel is much better than that wrt lag...

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya cosimo

Input lag is a sim killer IMO, it's the latency between the actual & the graphical representation

It's usually down to people running with to high graphical settings & the pc bottlenecks -input lag is usually one of the results
    Vsync can increase input lag also
    Software can be a bit faulty too -I think codemasters was notorious for input lag for Lot of users untill they updated it (this could have been due to it straining people's pc before it got more optimised etc)

We all have some input lag -it's impossible to get rid off, but reducing it right down should be the objective so it's to the point of being unnoticeable

I use the simple wobble wheel test, turn off ffb & turn on the sim wheel (graphical on screen wheel) whip the actual wheel from side to side to see if I can beat (or get in front) of the graphical wheel -I'm happy when it appears to be totally in sync

This is the only reason I insist on high fps for racing sims -I try & achieve average over 90fps , I cap at 124 in the .ini file, min 60 under extreme conditions ( full grid etc )

I never use vsync

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Mate that is 90% of all problems you ask me when it comes to lockups, freezes, stutter, lag, low fps.
    People just run stuff too high no matter what the game, full stop.
    The freedom of dropping settings a bit and having fluid action is undeniable.

Vsync
    LUCID for games that it supports , your CPU has it for no cost mate ( as long as you brought a better motherboard you should have retail version worth $55 included in box ) :)

LUCID helps stutter tearing and lag I tested in a few compatible games on my test OS, it worked well.
    I could wind up settings and it stayed smooth were it would lag before.

No it don't work in rF2 or many other sims, only racing titles that are console based are supported from what I see , don't know why.

http://lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Durge

Yes your right,
    We all like eye candy but at can come at a high cost .... i.e it can distroy the fluidity & fine feel of a top spec sim !

I might be paranoid but I even believe fine forces in ffb is "muted" if a pc is running at to high settings

It's not just a half decent fps with eye candy pushed up only as high as possible that's important,
    Running a pc WELL WITHIN ITS LIMITS is seriously the very best way when it it comes to physics intensive simulations
    (I.e Fps 90 average !!!! )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have much worse input lag than that when I use multiview with my new gpu, it's extreme... with my old gpu I could have 20-40 fps without same input lag. Now with better gpu, same settings, higher fps= more input lag (no vsync). How come?

Right now I'm using single monitor, it works perfectly. Triple monitor works well as long as I do not enable multiview...

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

The number of possible Pc configurations are vast so it's possible 1000 people can get 1000 different results

If I were you simply don't use multiview (I don't on my 3 screens!)

Multiview has more of the sim world in view -thus more gpu processing ....it could be that's what's pushing your pc just over the edge ( just passed that level of lag becoming noticeable )
    Turn down as many settings as you can to get well under that level

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What about the people that complain about stutter latency etc in anything let alone a 20/30 car room at Silverstone but still they join online. lopl

How many accidents do they cause with latency.

That is why I am happy with 1920 single, I am realistic my specs are not good enough to do anything else at the quality levels I want.

Resolution vs Screen Size is probably the biggest plus for me, like old days with 19" CRT running 2048x1536 in GPL and Nascar was simply breathtaking for the day but you needed the ultimate hardware to do it at a reasonable frame rate , so nothing has changed :)

Pity RBR never supported 2048 it would have looked so good.

If I could run and afford :p rF2 @2560 at my same levels it would have to look fantastic on a 24" but I am not willing to drop quality levels to do it.

If I buy a 27" @1920 that is exactly what will happen too, I will sacrifice pixel size . :)

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have tried lowering settings, it doesn't help. I think I'll do as you're saying, not using multiview and try to live with the stretched image :p Actually I'm starting to get used to it...so why not.

But maybe I'll do more testing soon with some more nvidia control panel settings combinations...
    I just find it strange that it didn't happen with radeon cards, but with nvidia. System is exactly the same except gpu.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's F1 2010. It had bad input lag.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

I notice you have an i5
    Have you tried an overclock?
    (Assuming your cooling is fine)

I'm a tad out if date but if your 690 is a duel gpu try it in single gpu mode for rf2 (sounds strange I know ) don't judge performance on fps alone ( sometimes duel gpu just duplicates the same frames anyway & chucks them out in an unordered fashion )

Turning down both resolution & AA helps alot

Good luck

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

F1 2010 to F1 2012 , Dirts , Grid I ran on my specs below was fps city all of them, it is a different world.

explanation from hard core simmer lopl ..........

Bored one day I did a fresh drive with new SSD and GTX670, wound it up to 5Ghz again, latest drivers and adrenaline racing benchmark tool so I set up some old " stuff " just to check, all codies stuff , and a heap of shooters wiped it all a day later

Awesome frame rates won't make me drive them but.

hehehe

12. RustyM

RustyM Registered

almost looks like steering assist is on.... in OP.

13. C3PO

C3PO Registered

F1 2010 had bad input lag.