VSYNC in RF2 : pros&cons / advantages-disadvantages / tips-settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Apr 23, 2018.

?

Only screen(s) users please : are you using vsync ?

1. I am using VSYNC (but not fast sync)

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  2. I am NOT using VSYNC

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. I am using fast sync

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I used this method but without Riva. I simply tested my monitor and put in the fps number in the player.json. (with 3 digits after the comma) Can someone confirm that rf2 is reading this correctly? With 3 diggits after the comma? Felt fluid in-game can't say much about low-lag. Could be placebo.

And I didn't do any change to the fps test result because rf2 has an built in option for this if I read this correctly:

"Steady Framerate Thresh":0.001,
    "Steady Framerate Thresh#":"Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.",

PS: using Video-Vsync mode in the config and let app decide in nv control panel.

F1Aussie likes this.
  2. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

That is a very useful article. Thanks.

I'm struggling to get my head around the validity of the test for any games that run in Fullscreen mode. The test is obviously using a window or a borderless window hence Aero being required to be on (although I'm not sure why aero makes a difference). I would expect a game running fullscreen (i.e. exclusive fullscreen) to have different results because it's not using Aero and will be using driver level vsync instead, as instructed in the article.

Summary:
    a) guide says to get the Hz using windows areo (Windows' vsync)
    b) then says to use driver level vsync in game.

a) and b) are not the same because a) is using Windows' vsync and b) is using driver vsync in fullscreen mode

Maybe I'm being too picky and there wouldn't be a lot of difference in reality - and I haven't tried the capping yet, I've just been messing with testing the Hz (in Chrome as it doesn't work properly in Firefox).

3. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

If you use a basic theme on Windows 7, Aero (and its desktop synchronization) is turned off. You can disable Aero per application with Compatibility settings in .exe properties, so that Windows will revert to the basic theme only while the application is launched.
    From their info page: https://www.testufo.com/browser.html
    Maybe it has something to do with how the webpage calculates the refresh rate.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

So Aero is recommended ?

I always disabled it, thinking that it would optimize performance (optimization of Windows) :

I was wrong?

5. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

It's only recommended for an accurate reading of the screen refresh rate if you want to measure it with that webpage. Otherwise, leaving it off is the most safe method to avoid it interfering with game settings.

6. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

@DrivingFast, If you use fullscreen (exclusive) aero is not used. It's only when running in windowed mode or borderless window.

I tend to turn it off when using multi monitors, gaming on one and streaming on the other. For gaming I only use Fullscreen Exclusive so aero is never a factor for me.

DrivingFast likes this.
  7. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

8. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

About the possible placebo. That website always test input lag for all the techniques using high speed camera and an LED.
    Like this.
    [​IMG]

d0nd33 likes this.