VRAM consumption in triple screen configurations

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marek Lesniak, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I couldn't find any info regarding how much VRAM rF 2 consumes on max. details on 3 monitors.
    Could somebody with such a setup check for me VRAM consumption?

Maybe let's assume some settings first (just my proposition):
    1. Everything @ Full/Max/On in rF 2 gfx settings, including Anizo x16.
    2. AA Level 6 (MSAA x8); HDR On... FXAA can be off I think.
    3. Multiview on or off? Does it have any impact on video memory consumption?
    4. Resolution can be 3x 1920, 3x 1680 or 3x of whatever displays you have, but please note that when reporting back.

Which car and track?
    1. Track: I think Silverstone likes to consume video memory, so should be good for testing.
    2. Car: Read somewhere, Marussia F1 car takes more VRAM than other cars. If there is something more mem hungry, please let us know but let's stick just to ISI content as it's not about finding an unoptimized mod with 50 8192x8192 textures ;)
    3. Car package: As an additional test, we can mix several cars so that more data will be loaded to GPU memory. Will think about, which cars can be used for that test (if you have some ideas, let us know here).

I think, Silverstone allow not more than 28 cars... do we have any high quality tracks which allow for more cars? I'd love to see a track capable of 50-60 cars to simulate endurace race environment.

Why I am asking for all that?
    I am curious, how much VRAM we need for rF 2 to not be limited now and in the near future. Will 3GB be enough (think, recent price drop for GTX780 :D ) or should we look for 4-6GB versions for multi monitor setups?

Thanks in advance for help!

2. clockit

clockit Registered

I saw 7285mb vram usage running the ring 0.97f with the Megane +10 AI @ 8064 x 1440.

3. Marek Lesniak

That's not physically possible as each of your cards has 3GB RAM ;)
    That's because you have 3 AMD cards, so the value is reported as 3 times higher. I saw that on my friend's 7950 in CF (RAM usage reported as 2 times higher than it actually was).
    In your case, real usage would be about 2428MB but still, that's a helpful information. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

5. Marek Lesniak

Thanks Guy. Would it be a problem for you, if you max out all the settings, enable HDR and set visible cars to at least 29 and do that test again, with full grid?
    Of course we don't care about fps. Just GPU RAM consumption.

6. otta56

otta56 Registered

8020x1440, 32xS AA, 21 cars, Brianza long, HDR + reflections, all settings at max = 3.7 GB gpu ram. Amount of ram used depends on AA level. 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA uses less gpu memory than 32xS although gpu use is higher.

7. Marek Lesniak

Ouch! That's a lot. What cars?

8. otta56

otta56 Registered

Spark F1. View attachment 10639 Slightly fewer cars in this pass which accounts for the 3.5 GB gpu memory usage instead of 3.7 GB.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
  9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

View attachment 10647

Howston and Silverstone everything max'ed out. I tried in the rain with BES but the game kept CTD'ing so I went with this combo. 2740 MB on the start line beginning the pace lap, 29 AI

10. Marek Lesniak

Thanks guys

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

3 Gig ram is all you will need, your GPU and CPU will begin to be the bottle neck before more than 3Gig is needed that is at say resolution 1080p Triples, if you go 4k that is another story.