SOLVED VR Oculus crash/grey screen on start of rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by claudiopolez, Dec 29, 2018.

1. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

I can not start rF2 in VR. On start, I get either grey screen in Oculus with black screen on the monitor (although sometimes the monitor has strobe effect rf2 logo). I've verified Steam install, unticked Steam theatre, reinstalled redistributables, deleted player and controller JSON files, tried HMD=mirror and HMD only... Same result - grey screen or black screen :(
    Needless to say all other VR games are running perfectly as was rF2 itself - about 10 days ago.
    (Posted this in another thread, but decided to make a specific thread.)

2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Do you have Oculus software running in the background? Do you have steam VR running before you start the game?

Have you checked that you don't have the d3d9.dll in your \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64 or bin 32 folders, as this has given others grief.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Also worth noting OP can run rF2 fine without VR.

4. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

Oculus and steamVR are running before rF2 launch.
    No d3d9.dll present.

5. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Where are you unticking steam theatre?
    Have you tried it ticked?

In steam library / rfactor 2 / properties / general tab
    I have "use desktop game theatre while steamVR is active" ticked

6. Globespy

Globespy Registered

With the latest Oculus Home/Dash update it's no longer possible to use the little "run as admin" trick to block Oculus Home from launching.
    No Oculus Home, no service.
    Why is RFactor so difficult to just work without all these wacky processes that need to be performed in specific sequence to have a hope of things running smoothly, especially in VR.

I would love to spend more time in RF2 but when there seems to be more focus on adding content instead of fixing the fundamental basics of making it easy to get into using the two most popular VR devices on the planet, that seems a$$ backwards.
    I get it, you need revenue to fund development, but that doesn't excuse continuing to expect that the circa 1992 UI is in any way acceptable.

I've lost count of the number of times I just quit and went and did something else due to baseline technical issues that I can only imagine will lose customers who are far less tenacious than I am. And trust me, I have spent hours reading and trying things to find a way to make getting into a race easier than what I recall from my computer science degree finals!

Fix the basics that make RF2 easy to access and use - what part of that is so difficult to understand if you want to be successful?

7. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

I've solved the problem! :) Rerunning SteamVR "Room Setup" fixed it. Really strange as no other game complained -I play around half a dozen VR games and all of them were fine, apart from rF2.
    Anyway, all is well, many thanks to all who took time to reply.
    Tried it both ticked and unticked, did not help. Thanks anyway!

RaceNut and GrimDad like this.
  8. Rustybrush

Rustybrush Registered

Well done @claudiopolez, glad to hear you managed to resolve it! Hopefully your experience here will help someone else!! Happy racing!!!

claudiopolez and RaceNut like this.
  9. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

SOLVED - GT3/Steam VR update caused problem. Update update fixed it.

Hopefully that's what my problem is. Will check later today.
    Everything worked perfectly until Steam VR update yesterday, then same problem. Could get into everything (Cars, Settings, Tracks, etc.) but 'RACE' crashes to Steam VR room.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019