VR Huge Frametime spikes caused by USB device

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RJVan, Jan 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. RJVan

RJVan Registered

Hi,
    For the last year I haven't been able to play rFactor 2 since I upgraded to the Varjo Aero. I would boot into the game and I get huge frametime spikes (red spikes in FPSVR) every half second or so. Frametimes were in the mid 50's.

I accidentally fixed my issue by unplugging and plugging back in any usb controller while sitting in VR. Once I do this my frametimes go back to normal (8 or 9) and I get my solid 90 fps. I also noticed I couldn't assign any controls while this was happening. Any control I assigned would just assign "PAUSE", like there was a pause button stuck open somewhere.

It doesn't matter what USB controller I unplug and re-plug either. I've used one of my button boxes or even a xbox controller. Once I unplug it, the spikes go away and the image is smooth. I can then plug it back in.

This didn't happen before the Varjo Aero and it doesn't happen in normal 2d mode. I have to do this unplugging every time I enter a track.

Anyone know what's going on here? I'm glad I found a work around, but it's still annoying.

If anyone else is having this issue, hopefully this will help.

Now if they could just implement a proper "Lock to Horizon" in VR I could play for more than 20 minutes without getting a headache.

Thanks
    R.J.

2. AFreak

AFreak Registered

I have the same problem with my Varjo Aero. My old HP Reverb G2 does not have this problem. And this problem exists only in rFactor 2 for me.

3. AFreak

AFreak Registered

I have solved the problem. If the steam overlay is not activated then the spikes are there. It does not matter for the HP Reverb G2 but with the Varjo Aero the game becomes unplayable due to the frame spikes.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Glad you’ve solved it…

…how are you getting on with the Aero, out of interest? I went with the G2 with a 4090 when the latter came out as it seemed the best option of the then-proven options. A lot has changed since then…!

5. AFreak

AFreak Registered

For me everything works fine with the Aero. I also have a 4090 and I don't use my G2 anymore.