Vmods for own server always fail the first time.

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Denstjiro, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure if that big of a problem but maybe still worth reporting.

When I setup our server I create a vmod locally, ftp into dedicated. install on server, start server and join to see if it works. (I don't install vmod locally after packaging)

This build and previous builds when I join the server and getmod, it will give me access without a check, on car-select I can chose all cars my sim has avail rather then what should be avail, join server and then get booted.
    Re-join right away, getmod now works as it should (checking) and now I can only select cars the vmod was set to. successful join. every time the same routine.

Just checked with fellow admin, same for him.

Yet on any other server this does not happen. and I have not heard anyone having the same issue on our server either but I fear some joiners might fail the first time and not try a 2nd time.

2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

We had a similar issue tonight. Admin created a vmod, we loaded it on the server then most clients that connected would load the incorrect track the first time with no mod check. The second time they connected the mod check failed (as it should because they didn't have it yet), the vmod downloaded and they connected.

3. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Same here...

Exactly as you wrote, once it did catch and it lite the getmod, It would download install, and retrieve missing content.

After that all was fine

Dave

NRT

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe related, this week in rf2 I did the same. after uploading my vmod to the server and loading the dedi, it would not connect to the lobby. matcher and ID remained blank.

Pretty weird, tried an older vmod, it worked, so no changes in the serverbox. Then created a new vmod on the serverbox itself and that one worked as per usual.
    Not sure if just a glitch in the matrix.

Btw Dave, the links in your sigs are 404's. text is correct but the actual links are not :)

5. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Thank-you Denstjiro...

All fixed up with the links

Dave

NRT Game Servers

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Now on other servers as well, vmod checks and loads, looks like I am getting in but game restarts,rf2 loading screen and then lobby reloads.
    2nd try always good.

7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I had all sorts of problems with 1st-time GetMod when I created vmods locally and transfering them to the server to install them. I never installed them right away locally to be able to verify that GetMod worked. Same outcome as you descibed above, instead of downloading the vmod through GetMod I could pick any car to join, then some error joining (can't recall if I got booted or not).
    I never installed the new vmod locally. Neither through MAS2.exe after packaging nor using Mod Manager. To get around the issue I found I had to start single player and pick a different car/track combo before I could download the vmod through GetMod.

At some stage I got so annoyed that I started creating vmods on the server. (So definately an issue I had prior to the last couple of builds.) Had no problem getting vmods through GetMod ever since.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

So you could not join at all from local vmod into dedicated?

9. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Sorry, but I don't think I get what you mean by "not join at all from local vmod into dedicated", but here's what I wrote in different terms:

problem:
    create vmod locally (check) > upload to server and install (check) > download vmod using 'GetMod' (fail)

my old solution:
    create vmod locally (check) > upload to server and install (check) > load different car/track combo in single player (check) > download vmod using 'GetMod' (check)

my current solution:
    create vmod on server & install (check) > download vmod using 'GetMod' (check)

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I meant your old solution. I have the same but at least it works the 2nd time I join our server so its less of a problem for me.
    If you cannot join at all from a locally created vmod then that is a problem, not every admin is able to create it on the dedicated.

11. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I think we are seeing something like this as well .. when players join they get a "cannot install mod" message from the ded .. no list of why like a normal get mod fail where they have missing components in a list .this fail only says "cannot install mod" .. also the players have all the proper components as far as cars and tracks vmod requires , these are single event vmods ,, one player can join and "get mod" installs everything fine ,the next player gets the "cannot install mod" message .. anyone else seeing this error? hmm