vmod + component problem. Strange link between the 2 present.

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Marco Bijl, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

I have something weird, I have never had before. Let me try to explain.

Goal:
    I have made severals skins for the Megane, to be used in the RD Race Club and the coming league. What I want is 1 .rfcmp file, with the skins in them, and 1 .rfmod file, linking the car's to the the several tracks we will use during the league.

Work process:
    I have created all the .dds files and the .veh file for the skin pack. I take the following steps to make the pack (As I have done many times before now).

- Open MAS2.exe
    - Add Files for the component (all the .dds and.veh files)
    - Save the .mas file (called it RD_TEAMS.mas)
    - Open the Component Creator
    - Create a new component, calles Meganes2009, select a file location and name, and add the mass file.
    - Tick the update from box, and let it update from version 1.0.
    - Hit the package button
    - Hit the Install button

So now the pack is build, and the .rfcmp file is present.
    Next I go and make the vmod.

- I add the .rfm and the 2 .dds files (icon and small icon), and save the .mas file
    - Open the Package section
    - Select the .mas file with the rfm I just created
    - Select a file location
    - I add the tracks I want to, and untick the box before them
    - Select the layout of each track I want to run
    - I add the car pack, so the NEW version I created
    - I select the new cars I have made
    - Package the file.

This ends up with 1 .rfcmp file (the skins), and 1 .rfmod file (the vmod)

So far, all goes well. Now I go to install it in the game, and this is where the strange stuff starts :)

Problem description:
    I copy the .rfcmp and .rfmod file in my package folder and start the Mod manager.
    I untick the box show mods only, and see the asterix before the Meganes, as there is an update available. When I right click it, and press Update, the following happens:

- MOD Manager displays the regular install popup, giving the impression it installs the .rfcmp
    - When the popup disapears, the version is STILL 1.0, and the update did not work
    - When I tick the box Show Mods Only again, the vmod just dissapeared from the list (I did NOT toucht that yet!)

Now I open my explorer, and go to the Data folder of my game install, and this is what I find:

- ..\installed\vehicles\Meganes2009\0.9 (new version number, tried 1.1 as well, does the same) is created, but contains JUST the .rfm file, no MAS file present.
    - ..\installed\rfm contains the rfm file from the VMOD! This is very strange, as I did NOT install that yet. I JUST did the component update.
    - ..\Manifest contains the .MFT file from the rfmod as well.

If I delete the .rfm and .mft file, the mod appears in the mod manager again.

Workaround:
    To get it installed, I need to work in steps. I first place the .rfcmp file in the package folder, open the mod manager, and install the update. When I do this, it works perfectly, and installs ok.
    Then I place the .rfmod file in, open the mod manager again, and install it. That works as well.
    Only strange thing I have then, is when I open the game, and select the series, and go to select a car, I get all the car's I selected, + a second skinpack I had created before for the F3's, which has totally NOTHING to do with this series, and was also not selected during creation.
    I have all files available if they are wanted to evaluate. Just let me know and I will post a link for them.

Conclusion:
    The only conclusion I can get to now, is that there is a link between the component and the mod file. I know the mod file is connected to the component, as it can't work without it. But the other way around is very strange. The component should be totally seperate from the mod I think.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I better be clear in what I have done, and in what order, to make sure this is reproduceable. I can do it many times, and have tested the .rfcmp and.rfmod files at other players as well. They have the same.