Virtual Ride

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jefcam, Aug 20, 2015.

1. jefcam

jefcam Registered

build 930

When you create your own virtual ride. You can use it online!!!
    And your virtual ride will be transferred in game like an alt.dds skin.

can someone tell me how to make virtual ride (custom ai) seen online? (offline was not a problem)

2. AceLain

AceLain Registered

You must create it offline, then It will be possible to use it online (You will see it when you choose your vehicle)

I think the server has the ability to disable it. I have seen server admin saying it cause problem, but I can't say what kind of problem

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't think the virtual ride will become part of the AI pool of drivers unless it is in the dedicated host PC's installation.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Every time you join a room with your virtual car you stuff the hosters mods offline, then
    they have to clean up their files, what ? all because you want something different
    that could have been done with a normal skin.

Yeah great

5. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Mate you dont need to enable it on the server or your client and you will have no problems with files from other you dont want ;)

6. jefcam

jefcam Registered

but what exactly is a virtual ride? because i think i have a misconception of this thing...

is it having just a car with a new skin? or having custom named AI?

jef

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

They are great.

You can have custom set of vehicles, names, drivers skins, yes.

Just don't use it when you join a online room is all I saying. :)

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dont understand that ?

Someone joins my room with a VC, I can't stop them joining and once the do the damage is already done.

Sorry I am being a bit pedantic ..................it's easy to make a batch file runs so on rF2 exit it deletes all *.RCD files.

Something to do ISI :)

9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

You can turn off the .rcd transfer on the server.
    A normal alt.dds skin will do for some casual club races.

BTW: You still need to clean up the packages/skin folder on the server: If the client makes changes to his skin, the old skin will not be overwritten on the server and other clients. Only when the servers packages/skins folder is cleaned up.

Once i had 3 Clio repacks for league purpose installed + the original Clio.
    - Those repacks only have added skins.
    - Some contain the same livery.
    - 2 repacks for different leagues had conflicts: so uninstall, install to switch the mods.
    - Every time a new driver signs up a new repack is released just to add a car.
    - It works with Liveracers, simresults, B1K3R's league manager too.

So for small leagues. These "virtual rides" could be a good solution.

For casual fun races: turn off the .rcd transfer on your server.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Wondeful !

lol no wonder peoples skins I used for 3 years are screwed in every room.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

How do I turn it off again ?

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It can be as small as selecting a car, going to tuning, clicking "create dir" and placing your car skin there (just the car_alt.dds), to as big as creating a new team with the driver and team info, and instead of car_alt.dds having a .mas file which includes the car, helmet and suit textures.

For the later, run the launcher and select the MAS Utility icon to package together different .dds.

12. Gijs van Elderen

In the multiplayer.json of the server:

"Loose Content Transfer":2, ==> set it to 1
    "Loose Content Transfer#":"Allow clients to share virtual vehicles or custom skins, 0 = nothing, 1 = just skins, 2 = skins and vehicles",

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Done, reboot, ty. :)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Mind numbing sorting F3 skins , that is only about 1/2 of them and I have weeded out 100 doubles.

Then in the actual F3 folders is worse :)

I have mas and dds , then some dds dont show a image

Like a single VC car has 10 filenames / skin changes for one car# ......which one does he intend I keep ? ;)

[​IMG]

P.S. Be nice if people named online skins better to reflect their names.

People like BB and Clock and Mat and Skyfox and DD I find easy as it is in the filename, most of the rest are indistingushable

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  15. Gijs van Elderen

Each client has a "unique" ID number: Skins get the ID number as a pre-fix. (But you know that...)
    "unique" ==> unfortunately it's not that unique and fixed number per clients login/rfactor2 account. It's just a random number :(

BTW: Just delete all skins in the packages/skins folder of the server regularly: The skin transfer will restart/refresh/overwrite.
    You'll notice this by the green block in front of your name if you login to the server for the first time with a custom skin.
    If you login again with the same skin name (.dds or .mas name): the skin will not refresh. (no green block, never again with that skin name)
    Empty the packages/skin folder of the server: ==> the skin will transfer again (green block)

In pre 930 builds: the skin transfer will always restart/refresh/overwrite again every time you join the server. Even if you didn't make changes to your skin. Deleting all files in the Packages/skins wasn't necessary. But more data transfer needed to be done to transfer the skins to server and clients every time.

Clients are unaware of this and make changes/updates to their virtual ride and join the same server again. ==> This causes issues!!! ==> car will be "unknown" (sometimes) in the results file and transfer to other clients will be a mystery or not happen at all.
    With normal alt.dds or alt.mas: Files will not be overwritten unless they change the alt.dds or alt.'s name... With a virtual ride: You 'll need to make a new one with a new "driver's name"...

If the servers Packages/skin folder isn't cleaned up regularly: ==> Once you join a server with your virtual ride or alt skin. It's there... It doesn't change, if you change it... Other clients will not receive the changes you have made.

Only when the Packages/skin folder is empty on the server, the transfer will happen/refresh again... (But more data transfer is used)