View Distance slider

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Jez Hammond, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

Hi, it would be great to have a view distance slider, maybe on a per-track basis. I think a range something like 25% to 200% (defaults 100% of course). I've only found a similar setting for the mirrors - Editing a variable is also acceptable if a slider is not ready!

I appreciate that my rig is not so new but some tracks are not as optimal as others. For example, I can run Belgium/Spa at full detail (shadows off, mirrors on) at a constant 60fps. Essington requires low detail and no mirrors. Nordschlief I have to run v0.80 else the immersion is never there at lower fps. I think lowering the view distance would allow all circuits to run smoothly.

Failing that, which tool will allow editing a circuit and making a custom view distance version (for personal use) please?

Cheers

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think its called Draw Distance and yes, would be nice to have it. In some older sims (forgot which one) there would be a draw distance slider and it was very handy because some pc's would perform better when set it to low/medium whilst others would 'load' much faster by setting it to full.
    Handy because it was not always a case of low-end-pc=low slider/high-end-pc=max slider. variation was key so it seemed.

But then again, i understand track creators can set how textures load (distances)

As for the Nordschleife, have you turned down Texture Details? This track uses huge textures and its very long, max Texture Detail will have serious effects, but toning it down will make it much better. Same for the current Silverstone track.

3. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

Thanks for comments Denstjiro. Indeed older sims would have a slider, normally 'low, med, high, max' similar to rF2's track detail. Usually the right setting would prevent a PC from bottle-necking when attempting a v-sync. Of course the side-effect is a smaller draw distance - normally fog would prevent pop-up.

I do set texture detail to low on problem tracks...

The latest build (342) has solved many of my problems from yesterday, so that was a very unexpected bonus!
    Nord now runs smoothly almost all around the track. The last version I tried was 0.97d - where only high-track-detail would load (missing file) - so hopefully the next build will load at a lower setting. I think the draw distance in Nord is set at 6km (iirc), I would love to just lower this to 2km - I really don't look at the scenery personally ;-)

My rig is an Intel quad @ 2.4, with an ATI Radeon HD 7800 'Ghost' - the bottleneck is not the gfx card but I'm hoping that draw-distance can clip large sections of vertices before they are even processed.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

I want this too as witnessed in ARMA, cool facility.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

6. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

3.5KM is a lot closer to my desired distance with this rig, but I still need to just tweak it down a touch. At Nord I can at 60fps right until under the first bridge, then looking down the hill the framerate just takes a small dive - hardly any since new rF2 build luckily.

A sim like rF2 will load all textures at runtime (of circuit). Whereas something like GTA5 will stream-load textures as closer-up stuff is a lower mip-map and wouldn't all fit in gfx memory at the same time. Yet an rF2 track builder would try to fit all textures in to memory at once.

Think of the whole (Nord) circuit divided in to squares on a chess board, each square would contain thousand(s) of vertices, if the middle of a square is completely further from the camera than view distance + square radius then those thousand(s) of vertices for said square can be ignored for that 60th of a second (0.0167ms)...it all adds up fast!

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

8. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Registered

Thanks the thread looks an interesting read.

Indeed Nord is w.i.p. - I just tried the latest version 0.97g and things are great! Just the old last turn dropped to 55fps, but it was great to see the long downhill section running at 60fps. Also, this new version allowed the low-track-detail setting to work.

I should try other tracks later with build 342. But right now I'm very happy with Nord and Essington in a Howston G6 =)