Video Editor Friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DougSpinster, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

And that is exactly why I said this. ;)
    "But this would never happen without some sort of cooperation between the FRAPS team and game devs. Sounds good in theory though."

Sound could be handled by doing a second pass, just like the current export feature does in rF1. Also, rF1 exports one frame at a time holding the engine between until each frame is handled by VFW. So it isn't impossible. Keep in mind I am not talking about live feeds, just replay export.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's not drawback. It is advantage. Fraps storing video using lossless compression algorithm. It is better than nothing. But what is important, it is lossless. Any high compression rate algorithms like h264 are based on removing some details during compression which adds some artefacts into movie frames. It is quite logical that multiple re-compression resulting in growing detail loss. It would cause impossible to make high quality video. You miight say that it doesn't matter for video which is intended to be uploaded into YT. It is not true, because quality of YT re-compression process depends on source video quality. If you would try to upload highly compressed video you will get worse result than uploading hi-quality one.

So, excepting high disk space usage, working with video grabbed by fraps is really advantage. There as nothing for free. If you want to run simulation you have to have steering wheel. etc. If you want to create videos, you have to have computer which can handle it.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Off topic but I am about to upgrade to an i5-2500K and was reading up on Quick Sync. It would be cool if there was a VFW codec that supported Quick Sync. So far I don't see any. But when looking around I found a FRAPS alternative called Dxtory that will let you feed the output through any VFW codec. I just did a test on my slow laptop and was able to do reasonable real time capture at 800x600 to x264vfw and was able to stay right at 30fps (GPU limited) the whole time. I hope someone creates a VFW codec that supports Quick Sync. If this happens we should be able to do real time capture at 1920x1080 directly to H264 at 100fps.

This Quick Sync stuff is crazy fast. They say the quality isn't as good as x264. I will have to see for myself.